Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
around 2000.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:29 am

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Oct 15, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Less than $2500 total for us, with no miles or points redeemed! We went to Ireland in fall 2011.

Roundtrip air from EWR-SNN on UA was $600 each including Hertz rental car for a week. We had to drive 6 hours each way from RIC to EWR but the savings on airfare was substantial. Parking was free since my sister lives less than 10 miles from EWR; we left the car at her house. Rental car insurance in Ireland cost roughly $150. We rented a cottage in Doolin, County Clare for less than $400 for the entire week. Eating out at restaurants/pubs was expensive, although we even kept that cost down by cooking some meals in our "self-catering" cottage with full kitchen.

Traveling to Ireland in the off-season helped keep our costs way down.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
About $300 nine years ago. Two weeks in Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Great Basin NP.

Entry to NP was free due to the annual pass I had. Car rental was about $100, the rest was lodging, gas and food. We had really good time, however my wife from time to time reminds me that I dragged her hiking in Arches when it was 110F in shade.
I haven't done Canyonlands or Great Basin yet. The rest are good--but not when it's 110F!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wahooflyer

Traveling to Ireland in the off-season helped keep our costs way down.
I often wonder if we have a peak season at all. YoucN stay in a 5 star Dublin city hotel for $70 a night. You can't do that in America.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:38 pm

2 Y Tix - CLT-ATL-FCO/LHR-ATL-FCO = $1165 each
2 Y Tix - FCO-ORY on Vueling = ~US$65 each
2 Tix - Paris to London on Eurostar = ~US$55 each
9 nights hotel (3 each in Rome, Paris, London) = $966 total (booked through Hotwire)
...not sure about food/attractions/etc. yet (we're budgeting ~$1500)

We're leaving on Wednesday
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:02 pm

Delta Dream Vacation..about $660 for round trip Atl to Den. Stayed in a lock off condo room near the B lift. Didn't get the lift ticket package so we could ski everywhere nearby. Add in rental car and it was probably $1000 all in.

33 years later...the Timex is still ticking!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I haven't done Canyonlands or Great Basin yet.
Both worth to go there. Especially Canyonlands - one of the remote and as a result lesser visited parks. If you want to visit Mars without flying there - that's the place to go - like the one here

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The rest are good--but not when it's 110F!
Depends. At that time I would be more comfortable with 110F with 10% of humidity than 90F with 80% of humidity...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:05 am

Our 20th anniversary is approaching. My guess is our honeymoon cost about $5,000. We watched every penny when planning the wedding and splurged on the honeymoon.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:38 am

Our honeymoon was greatly aided by the use of points to keep costs down. Our expenses, outside of food, included:

$400 for an open-jaw ticket from DCA to the midwest (for a family reception) then on to BOS
25K Avios for 2 one-way tickets BOS-DUB
20K points and 55 Euros at a Hilton in Dublin
200 Euros or so for hotels in southwest Ireland
100 Euros or so on intra-Ireland train tickets
250 Euros for two tickets DUB-CDG on Aer Lingus
50K Club Carlson for 2 nights at a disappointing Radisson Blu in Paris
300 Euros for the weirdest Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed in
360 Euros for two first class Train Hotel tickets to Spain
250 Euros for two nights at a NH Hotel in Salamanca
50K Club Carlson for two nights a nice Radisson Blu in Madrid
60K United Miles for two MAD-GVA (23 hour stop)-IAD tickets
One Chase free night certificate at the IC Geneva
Something like 70 Swiss Francs for two club sandwiches at the IC Geneva as we could not find an open restaurant nearby on a Sunday evening.

So, fixed expenses of around $2,500 plus food. (at the exchange rates then) The biggest problem with this trip is that we didn't spend more than two nights in any given place, and it got pretty tiring by the time we reached Spain. On subsequent trips, I have tried not book us in any one place for less than three nights.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by humanoid94
300 Euros for the weirdest Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed in
Intrigued as to what made it weird
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Spent very little on the honeymoon or the wedding. Instead took the cash and put it down on a house. Now house is paid off so we can afford 2 or 3 "honeymoons" a year.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Just about free!

I won it at a foodie do in Harrods in London - a week's cookery course at the Santa Fe School of Cooking for two.... We got round trip flights on BA London - Houston, Houston- Albuquerque, and Albuquerque to Santa Fe with a week's stay at the Eldorado Hotel!

As it was our honeymoon, BA gave us upgrades to Business in both directions, and the hotel gave us a better room........ We had to buy our breakfasts and one dinner, and chose to have taxis from home to the airport so it cost us a couple of hundred pounds - but we reckon it would have hit the £5000 mark had we had to pay for it all!

When was this - 1993!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.