Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are your tips on hotel room safety?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your tips on hotel room safety?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
IMHO, the fire safety tips are highly relevant.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght=hotel+fire
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by steveben53
If ever you have experienced a fire in a hotel, maybe you would not be so shocked that some people do not care to be locked in, in unfamiliar surroundings
Wanting to leave one's room door unlocked as a fire "safety" precaution is both irrational and almost completely unhelpful. I don't know if anybody has ever died in a hotel fire because they couldn't manage to unlock their own door. Far more common threats to one's personal fire safety are 1) being reluctant to take meaningful action when there is an alarm or some indication of smoke or fire, and 2) not knowing where exits routes are well enough to use them in the event of an emergency when there may be poor lighting, smoke in the air, and panicking people. See the excellent link in cblaisd's post above.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wanting to leave one's room door unlocked as a fire "safety" precaution is both irrational and almost completely unhelpful. I don't know if anybody has ever died in a hotel fire because they couldn't manage to unlock their own door. Far more common threats to one's personal fire safety are 1) being reluctant to take meaningful action when there is an alarm or some indication of smoke or fire, and 2) not knowing where exits routes are well enough to use them in the event of an emergency when there may be poor lighting, smoke in the air, and panicking people. See the excellent link in cblaisd's post above.
Seeing that you seem to be so knowledgeable about how people react when they are woken up at 3.00 am by a fire alarm, when they are in an unfamiliar environment, perhaps you will enlighten us as to which hotel you were in to gain such a wonderful insight, when the fire took hold

If, however, you have not experienced such a situation, may I respectfully suggest that it is your comments that are less than helpful

Last edited by steveben53; Feb 27, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I think it is a good idea to lock/unlock the door a few times when you move into the room so you create a muscle memory of how to unlock it - makes it more likely you will unlock it first time in the event of fire.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by darthbimmer

One thing I was surprised not to see on the list is when you DO let a hotel employee into your room, e.g. to deliver bags or room service, fold the latch around the door to keep it slightly ajar while the stranger is in your room. This makes it easier for you to call for help or get out if there's a problem. I've noticed that at many hotels the employees themselves do this, though it's unclear if it's more for the guest's safety or for the employee's protection of not being behind a locked door with a guest.
I did notice that the male employees at the St Regis in Singapore did the evening turn down service with the door closed when my husband and I were home, but the female room attendants always left the door open.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I did notice that the male employees at the St Regis in Singapore did the evening turn down service with the door closed when my husband and I were home, but the female room attendants always left the door open.
Dominique Strauss-Kahn must have been staying there.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Seeing that you seem to be so knowledgeable about how people react when they are woken up at 3.00 am by a fire alarm, when they are in an unfamiliar environment, perhaps you will enlighten us as to which hotel you were in to gain such a wonderful insight, when the fire took hold

If, however, you have not experienced such a situation, may I respectfully suggest that it is your comments that are less than helpful
From an emotional perspective, you may be right that some people feel uncomfortable securing their doors. However, as a practical matter, I have experienced 2 hotel fires and 2 apartment building fires. The hotel fires and one of the aprtment building fires were minor, the other apartment fire was not minor, although in the end no one was injured and damage was limited to one small area. The smoke in the hallway was thick and flames were visible.

I agree with darthbimmer that it is more important to know where the fire exits are and to not delay in using them. Unless you are prone to panic, unlocking even an unfamiliar hotel door will not take more than 20-30 seconds. Far more time is wasted by most people (including myself before the above experiences) trying to decide whether it is a false alarm and getting lost in unfamiliar hallways.

My company offers travel security training, including hotel safety. They emphasized knowledge of the exits and responding promptly to fire alarms. They do encourage locking doors and using the security bar which has replaced chain locks.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich

I'd be more concerned about finding the door in the first place. I've removed chains, bars, bolts or whatever a million times, that action to unlock the door would be second nature to me when I got to the exit, even in the dark or with my eyes closed.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The incidence of hotel and motel fires in the U.S. has dropped precipitously since 1990. It's still a good idea to make sure you identify egress points when you check into your place of lodging, but it's no longer a sign of hopeless irresponsibility if you don't.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...tics/v10i4.pdf
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
The incidence of hotel and motel fires in the U.S. has dropped precipitously since 1990. It's still a good idea to make sure you identify egress points when you check into your place of lodging, but it's no longer a sign of hopeless irresponsibility if you don't.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...tics/v10i4.pdf
That's true in the U.S. and most other developed countries. But in many places in the world fire standards are much laxer. I've stayed in a few places in developing countries that were worrisome and one in a rural part of the former Soviet Union that was downright frightening.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
That's true in the U.S. and most other developed countries. But in many places in the world fire standards are much laxer. I've stayed in a few places in developing countries that were worrisome and one in a rural part of the former Soviet Union that was downright frightening.
No doubt. To reiterate, my comments relate to U.S. lodging. Though I suspect western Europe would offer similar statistics.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
The fact remains that however familiar you are with the fire exits, if you are in a panic, like most people would be in a fire situation, you could lose vital seconds fiddling around with dead bolts at the like. It really is a judgement call, but on balance, so far as I am concerned, if it is a complicated locking mechanism, I will not use it
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The fact remains that however familiar you are with the fire exits, if you are in a panic, like most people would be in a fire situation, you could lose vital seconds fiddling around with dead bolts at the like. It really is a judgement call, but on balance, so far as I am concerned, if it is a complicated locking mechanism, I will not use it
To me, the scary doors have always been the old fashioned ones in older European buildings where you insert the key in the lock to lock the door from the inside. If someone tries to enter with a key from the outside, this isn't supposed to be possible but usually they manage to knock the key to the floor and it might end up rolled under a piece of furniture or lost among long fabric window coverings. You cannot open the door to get out without inserting the key just so and turning it in the correct direction.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Most of my travel is in developing countries and yes, the fire standards are often worrisome.

I guess that I have never encountered a complicated locking mechanism, at least no more complicated than the mechanism I use at home, and normally less. Certainly, I have never encountered a deadbolt mechanism which was at all complicated. In most modern hotels, you don't have to do anything. Pushing down on the door handle (from the inside) also draws back the deadbolt. At most, you have to turn a lever.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:01 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

I will say, a number of these posts come off as extremely paranoid... But I guess back in college most of us wouldn't lock our back doors except during breaks and we never had a single issue. Well, ok, we did. A drunk Freshman friend of ours came in and stole some cereal...

On a serious note though, In the number of hotels I've stayed in, the only time I've locked a secondary lock is when my GF and I were sharing the room with another couple and we wanted a little alone time.

I've stayed in youth hostels in the following places without issue: Amsterdam, Brussels, Brugge, Boston, Dublin, Istanbul, Madrid, Minneapolis, Paris, and Sevilla. Never once had a single problem.

I'm not stupid and leave money laying around, but at the same time, I never go out of my way either. If someone really wanted to steal my tablet or whatever, they easily could. I guess I have some faith in humanity?

That being said, I don't usually travel with stuff that I can't replace either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.