Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Spend a Week in India, Vietnam, or Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spend a Week in India, Vietnam, or Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by barte
My first trip to India, arrived in Bangaluru somewhere at 3 am.
Took a taxi and spend the next hour scared as the driver was speeding and dodging people, animals, obstacles (we had a near mis with a big rock which was right in the middle of the highway for some reason), lorries packed with too much stuff while seeing absolutely nothing. No accident though. So I can amagine the 5hour trip @pinniped

But you get used to it so fast. Crossing the street trough all the traffic without looking seems almost normal now.
For all of us who are used to looking both ways or vehicles slowing or stopping when we cross......Forget that in many parts of the world. (come to think of it, the signs are here that US will follow in about a decade !0.

THE TRICK

Stand and watch the natives crossing. They seem not paying attention to the traffic, the trick lies in walking non cahantly. Does not mean you just dash in teh traffic. What has eveolved is both the driver(s) and pedestrian know instinctively as to who is going to prevail. You do not watch straight up looking at the driver but check the progress and spped of the vehicle !

I have seen expats having trouble crossing the roads. (self included).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
When I went from Delhi to Agra there was no modern superhighway, so I did get the animals, pedestrians, tuktuks, markets, etc. Definitely wasn't boring but it did take a long time. I did see the Taj as a day trip from Delhi, but I would have preferred at least an overnight there. I haven't been to Jaipur but I know that there is a lot to see there.

I have primarily been to India for work and have been able to see things only as individual add-on days to my trips. Everything I have seen seemed to beg for more time than I could devote to it, hence my thought of more in-depth experiences in fewer places.
The overnight was key for us: we wanted to be among the first in line at the Taj. We found it fascinating to watch it as sunrise was happening... We stayed at a Starwood that had a nice view of the Taj if you climbed up to a rooftop viewing area. We sat up there and had a bottle of wine at sunset the prior day.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I wholeheartedly recommend Vietnam. I just returned from a week there and completely loved it. Hanoi - not so much, but Saigon is completely charming. I took the train from Saigon to Nha Trang to Hue and enjoyed it immensely.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by barte
My first trip to India, arrived in Bangaluru somewhere at 3 am.
Took a taxi and spend the next hour scared as the driver was speeding and dodging people, animals, obstacles (we had a near mis with a big rock which was right in the middle of the highway for some reason), lorries packed with too much stuff while seeing absolutely nothing. No accident though. So I can amagine the 5hour trip @pinniped

But you get used to it so fast. Crossing the street trough all the traffic without looking seems almost normal now.
Much of my travel was by public bus. Unforgettable - especially the extraordinary musical 'horns' the bus drivers are honking constantly.

Fond memories!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: *Gold
Vietnam.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
For all of us who are used to looking both ways or vehicles slowing or stopping when we cross......Forget that in many parts of the world. (come to think of it, the signs are here that US will follow in about a decade !0.

THE TRICK

Stand and watch the natives crossing. They seem not paying attention to the traffic, the trick lies in walking non cahantly. Does not mean you just dash in teh traffic. What has eveolved is both the driver(s) and pedestrian know instinctively as to who is going to prevail. You do not watch straight up looking at the driver but check the progress and spped of the vehicle !

I have seen expats having trouble crossing the roads. (self included).
I was in Navi Mumbai for about five weeks a few years ago with one of the big consulting firms out there. We called crossing the road "consultant frogger".

Last edited by txflyer77; Feb 20, 2015 at 2:56 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I was in Navi Mumbai for about five weeks a few years ago with one of the big consulting firms out there. We called crossing the road "consultant frogger".
Funny name, will steal that for next trip
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:10 pm

Funny, I remember telling some friends here that crossing a busy street was like playing Frogger. This was thirty years ago !
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
Funny, I remember telling some friends here that crossing a busy street was like playing Frogger. This was thirty years ago !
Apparently nothing has changed.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Apparently nothing has changed.
Nope, gets worse. Cars are added everyday as the middle class keeps expanding and population in Metros increase as more people move from rural areas to the Metros.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
India info here is interesting...have been to Nepal and Sri Lanka but have always thought of India as a kind of traveler's hazing, the kind needing preparation and maybe 3 weeks at minimum. But I s'pose a chopped off version with just the triangle (and Mumbai and Goa on another trip?) would also work. Don't U.S. citizens need a visa (costing money) to go?

My cousin who went was among those fitting the old joke that India stands for I'd Never Do It Again. It does tend to be a polarizing kind of place.

As for the O.P.'s question, with Vietnam you'd need to pick the north or the south and try not to move around too much, as the transport links can be slow and unreliable. Italy is more efficient for that (e.g. going to Florence on a daytrip out of Rome by train) and probably the best weather-wise of the three for the time of year.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC
India info here is interesting...have been to Nepal and Sri Lanka but have always thought of India as a kind of traveler's hazing, the kind needing preparation and maybe 3 weeks at minimum. But I s'pose a chopped off version with just the triangle (and Mumbai and Goa on another trip?) would also work. Don't U.S. citizens need a visa (costing money) to go?

My cousin who went was among those fitting the old joke that India stands for I'd Never Do It Again. It does tend to be a polarizing kind of place.

As for the O.P.'s question, with Vietnam you'd need to pick the north or the south and try not to move around too much, as the transport links can be slow and unreliable. Italy is more efficient for that (e.g. going to Florence on a daytrip out of Rome by train) and probably the best weather-wise of the three for the time of year.
Don't allow the old stereotyping stop you from going to India. True even 30 days with an American Tour co. Is not enough. You can stick to five starts, travel by air and a/c cars etc to insulate yourself some. But your eyes will not be able to not see the multitude of humanity, traffic, and yes poverty........What I would ask all travelers to do is look at the people, their hospitable nature, warmth, willingness to assist, hundreds of millions who speak English, cultures, history, distinguish languages and yer staying a stron Democracy ....

The sheer number of people at first may make you wonder....mu three year old Othis first trip to India asked " where are these people coming from and going to....?"
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by RustyC
U.S. citizens do need a visa. As far as the amount of time needed, well that depends on what you are trying to do. How many months do you think it would take to see all the U.S. has to offer? Most tourists don't try to see it all in one trip - neither should most tourists to India try and see it all in one trip. See what you can and save the rest for another trip.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by airmotive
India is the most un-American English-speaking (largely) country on earth.
(Not "un-American" in the Cold War sense, but in the "most unlike America" sense).

It's an assault on your senses, your common sense, your sensibilities and your generally accepted understanding on how a society functions. In five trips there, I've yet to figure out how a single person gets through their day alive, fed, hydrated, sheltered and employed; yet every day, a billion+ do just that.

If you want to turn your understanding of the world on its head: India.
Couldnt agree more and loved every minute of our three trips.. it is what trave is all about.

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I am an American and I am currently sitting in "North Vietnam" on a couch in Hanoi i can tell you there is no anti American sentiment sure they might charge you a couple extra dollars at an entrance to a touristy spot but they do that to the Russian gentleman standing in line behind me. In the past year I have spent almost 5 weeks here in Hanoi and never feel like I'm somehow behind enemy lines or something. I think you should come out here and take a look for yourself.
Originally Posted by injera
I've never felt more welcome as an American than I did during a 2 week trip to Vietnam in 2012. Yes, the "American War Musuem" and "Hanoi Hilton" were an emotional challenge to visit but every person we interacted with was happy and excited to meet us and we had some fantastic discussions on politics, sports, history, etc... I'd almost go as far to say that we enjoyed the conversations with our guides/drivers, etc... than we did sightseeing.

Comparing that to some of the anti-American sentiment and anti-semitism i've observed in Belgium, Denmark, Italy & The former Yugoslavian countries would make me feel perfectly comfortable to recommend a trip to Vietnam (and Cambodia if you can fit it in).

But of India, Italy or Vietnam i'd vote India as well.
Also agree with this description of Vietnam. It's always good to see the world from a different perspective and hear about the AmeRican wAR. Beautiful country, friendly industrious people. Do ha long bay for a night of two and Hue.

Originally Posted by pinniped
If one were to do a 2nd trip to India, what region would you recommend? Somewhere in the far south? Mumbai and surrounding area? Something else?

I can see why 10 trips might lead you to say "OK, somewhere else now..." But my wife and I do want to go back...there was a lot there that we loved, even as our, um, "senses were assaulted"...
Our second trip was Kerala, drive to Munnar in the tea growing area, to Madurai and temples, followed by a few days in Mumbai with a side trip to the Ajunta and Ellora caves staying in A urangabad. Lots of variety, south is very different than north. Kerala and Munn ar were green and beautiful, very uncrowded. Kerala has rivers with resorts and houseboats, a very educated and literate populatIon. We would still like to do east India, Kolkata, dar jeeLing, Maybe siKim. I would also highly recommend VaranasI. It's a powerful spiritual place that makes you come face to face with life and death in the cycle of human activity.

If I had to rank the three India, Vietnam, and Instanbul. Cambodia I'd put in too. It has a sad recent history, and in the race to bring it back, they are not really practicing sustainable tourism, and it might not look the same in a few years.

Go and explore
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:48 am

If you want to visit India

Late May/early June is around the peak of the hot season. Personally, I would avoid the golden triangle completely (45C or higher in the shade is *NOT* my idea of a relaxing vacation).

Whoever told you that DEL would be cooler than BOM in late May is just plain wrong. BOM will be mid 30s, but very humid (this would be just before the monsoons), DEL will be on the upper side of 40C and dry.

I wouldn't go to Leh, you want to budget around two weeks for that trip.

As a native (who dislikes hot dry weather), here are a few additional suggestions:
(a) If you don't mind the heat, and a bit of additional travel, go to watch a cat or two.
Ranthambore, Kanha, Kaziranga, Tadoba, Corbett are good options for tigers, Gir for lions.

(b) If you want a historical holiday along with a few beach trips, fly into BOM (wander around the old city, visit Elephanta, possibly the Vasai fort and Kanheri), and go down the coast to Goa or Kerala (Kochi and Thiruvantanapuram are good options to end the trip, there are flights to the middle east from both cities and from Goa). You could wander down to Murud-Janjira, and then continue to Goa (spend a day or two there dealing with Portuguese influenced architecture and food). From Goa, head down to Mangalore and finally end up in Kochi

(c) Spend the entire week in Kerala

(d) Visit the Himalayan foothills (note that you will be visiting in peak season and there will be crowds). On the eastern side, Sikkim (fly into DEL, then to Bagdogra, or fly to CCU and overnight train to New Jaipaiguri) and Darjeeling (same options). In the west, Dehradun, Mussorie, Haridwar, Dalhousie, Dharmashala/Mcleodganj are overnight road trips from Delhi.

(e) Fly into Bhubhaneshwar and tour Orissa.

(f) Do the Bangalore, Mysore, Belur/Halabeed trips, with a couple of days to visit Hampi (again, heat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.