Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passport verification not required for positioning flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)

My husband and I and our two college-aged sons are meeting in Chicago to begin our international trip in a few weeks. We are all flying in on separate flights the day prior to departure. Our vacation travel, starting the next day, is on a different PNR with all of us on the same record.

My question: All of our passports are at home (I plan to bundle them up and take them) - I'm just confirming that each son should not be held up at his originating airport because he does not have a passport? At that point, each will be on a domestic flight to ORD. Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
No need for passports, as long as they have drivers licences or other form of photo ID.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Since you have separate tickets/PNRs for the positioning flights, there's no issue as everyone is just taking a domestic flight to ORD at that point.

If it were the same ticket/PNR with an overnight connection at ORD, then each person should be required to show the passport (and any required visas) before boarding the first flight.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Thank you! That's what I thought but had a paranoid thought last night.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nonetheless, it makes sense for each individual to have their own passport. You may all expect to meet and fly xORD, but what if IRROPS prevents one of you from making it to ORD in time and that individual either makes it to ORD after the rest of you have departed or alternatively, that individual is rerouted to your international destination other than via ORD.

It being winter at ORD, this is not a fanciful scenario. I would overnight the passports so that each individual has his/her own document.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when i fly iAd-ord-nrt, or dca-jfk-cdg, the check in person requests my passport, and it is not required for further checkins. how is that different?

we would have the same ticket for the entire trip.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
when i fly iAd-ord-nrt, or dca-jfk-cdg, the check in person requests my passport, and it is not required for further checkins. how is that different?

That's how it's different: they don't have the same ticket for the entire trip. The firs one, is a domestic only ticket so no passport verification is required.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slawecki

In the OP's case, everyone is flying into ORD on separate tickets, then there is a single PNR ex-ORD. The positioning flights into ORD are not in any way connected to the international flight ex-ORD, so they are just one-way domestic flights. No passport required.

If, as stated above, the itinerary include xxx-ORD-yyy, then passport would be required on the first segment, just like in the example you cited.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Good discussion for clarification for others. And thanks again to those who answered my question as I posed it.

I'm glad I mentioned the departure city detail (ORD) because Often1 brought up a very good point re the time of year/weather/city.

Often1's point is true for any travel...there could be any number of events aside from weather that could cause IRROPS and it would be prudent for all travelers to have their passports on hand from their origination points.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by airchick
Good discussion for clarification for others. And thanks again to those who answered my question as I posed it.

I'm glad I mentioned the departure city detail (ORD) because Often1 brought up a very good point re the time of year/weather/city.

Often1's point is true for any travel...there could be any number of events aside from weather that could cause IRROPS and it would be prudent for all travelers to have their passports on hand from their origination points.
Except that, depending on which carriers are being used into ORD and out of ORD, the carrier out of ORD might have no obligation to re-route a traveler who is unable to make it into ORD in the first place. So just having the passport in hand is no assurance that one will be re-accommodated in the event of IRROPS of the first flight.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
All of this said, some airlines will allow you to board the first flight without the required document for the final destination so long as you have an adequate document for the initial transit point. They just won't issue a boarding pass for the onward flight until you have the required document for the final destination.

I have been in the exact situation described by the OP (that is, I was the one with the passports) meeting up with a colleague who did not have his passport as the visa was not issued until the day of departure in the city where I was and he was beginning from another city.

At the very least, you should confirm this with your airline before departure.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL,EK
You'll be fine but why is it that your college-age sons do not keep their own passport with them? That seems odd.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Having passport in hand won't assure anything except that I would not be required to rendezvous with them before they left the country in the event of IRROPS. I've had experiences with United Club reservationist splitting a PNR to get us to our destination. Both these guys are Silver, for what little that might be worth in IRROPS.

Re why the passports are at home: one passport was just renewed in August (5yr expiration for youth pp) and it arrived after younger son left for school in the fall and the other just remained at home when older son transitioned from undergrad to grad school (now in same state). These travel plans arose after they had both returned to their respective schools after the holidays.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:20 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
You'll be fine but why is it that your college-age sons do not keep their own passport with them? That seems odd.
For sure college-age kids never lose/forget anything.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so, if you or luggage does not get to ORD, you and or luggage stay in ORD. you are just flying on two separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.