Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hey FF, lets talk about immunizations - Do YOU?

Hey FF, lets talk about immunizations - Do YOU?

Old Mar 28, 17, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by fgirard View Post
And Rabies vaccines is far better than the prophylaxis
FYI, "prophylaxis" means prevention of a disease before you get it (e.g. vaccines and drugs as malarone, taken to prevent malaria). What you are referring to is rabies treatment, which is indeed much more unpleasant than the vaccine/prophylaxis.
Old Mar 28, 17, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard View Post
I've had the MMR vaccine 4 times, and I don't have immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella (verified by titer). However, because I had the chicken pox, when they ran the titer, it was on the high end of the scale.

And Rabies vaccines is far better than the prophylaxis, which when I had to take it (bitten by a possum), was unpleasant as it required a massive needle and the injection site was in the belly.
Rabies vaccine doesn't remove the need for prophylaxis, it just lessens what they give you if you're bit.
Old Mar 28, 17, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
FYI, "prophylaxis" means prevention of a disease before you get it (e.g. vaccines and drugs as malarone, taken to prevent malaria). What you are referring to is rabies treatment, which is indeed much more unpleasant than the vaccine/prophylaxis.
Except rabies "treatment" is really a form of prophylaxis. They're trying to boost your body's ability to fight the possible rabies, not fight it directly.
Old Mar 28, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Except rabies "treatment" is really a form of prophylaxis. They're trying to boost your body's ability to fight the possible rabies, not fight it directly.
OK, fair enough.
Old Apr 3, 17, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
I was born in SE Asia and have lived here almost all of my life - have traveled extensively - do so for work into the jungles of Borneo as well.

All I have (since early age) are: Tdap, Hep B, MMR, DTaP.

But if you are really worried, then the best suggestion IMO is:

Originally Posted by calbear2005
I get you concern regarding a trip with a vast array of different geographies. The best thing might be to make a list of places you intend to visit and then visit you primary physician. From my experience, for major SE Asian cities, you need hep A, typhoid, and Tdap. The other shots/pills mentioned here then depend on where else you plan to go. But, like I said, go see a doctor.
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:10 am

The WHO is my guide

If the WHO says to get it i comply. Also if country requires it. I live in tropical 3rd world so a lot of people are carriers due to lack of access to basic health svcs so having complete vax is a must
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:02 pm

I met with a nurse from Passport Health and the consult was worth it however left with no vaccinations. She did not push or said which ones were highly recommended vs not. She gave me prescription for 12 malaria pills and 3 anti diarrhea which my insurance covered. The checklist has: 1) Hep A 2) Hep B 3) Flu shot I am def not getting, my primary physician said the season is over 4) japanese encephalitis (rare but deadly) 5) pneummocal 23 6) rabies decided not to do it if I get bitten I will go to the hospital right away. 7)TDP 8) typiod 9) cholera (didn't even know this was a risk) . SO I am not doing 9 vaccines and how do I choose? I am very confused. Friends just went to Vietnam and Cambodia and did no vaccines at all. I don't know what to do.
Old Apr 20, 17, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmamminna View Post
I met with a nurse from Passport Health and the consult was worth it however left with no vaccinations. She did not push or said which ones were highly recommended vs not. She gave me prescription for 12 malaria pills and 3 anti diarrhea which my insurance covered. The checklist has: 1) Hep A 2) Hep B 3) Flu shot I am def not getting, my primary physician said the season is over 4) japanese encephalitis (rare but deadly) 5) pneummocal 23 6) rabies decided not to do it if I get bitten I will go to the hospital right away. 7)TDP 8) typiod 9) cholera (didn't even know this was a risk) . SO I am not doing 9 vaccines and how do I choose? I am very confused. Friends just went to Vietnam and Cambodia and did no vaccines at all. I don't know what to do.
My thoughts:

Hep A & B: They are now standard vaccines here, if you don't have the series, get it even if you aren't traveling.

Flu: I certainly wouldn't bother for travel.

Japanese encephalitis is not normally recommended.

Pneummocal is standard at IIRC 65.

Rabies, only recommended for those at high risk and it doesn't avoid post-exposure treatment anyway. It does make it less severe, though, and it provides some protection to unknown exposure (say, airborne while in a bat cave).

TDP, you should get the booster every 10 years anyway.

Typhoid. I've gotten the vaccine in the past. At this point my dietary limits the risk is minimal for me so I don't bother with keeping it up to date.

Cholera, I've always had this one when going into Cholera territory. I haven't been there in a long time, though.

In years past I have also had yellow fever and smallpox vaccines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: