Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you consider a shopping trip to take advantage of the strong dollar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Question Would you consider a shopping trip to take advantage of the strong dollar?

The euro and dollar are closer to parity than ever imagined as the euro continues its descent.

This presents a great opportunity for those looking for a shopping adventure (who doesn't like to shop?).

A bit of background on the dollar and euro may be found in a short feature that appeared on Frequent Business Traveler's website today (where I'm ed. dir. as many of you know), not to mention a great photo of Melk.

But more importantly, are you considering or would you consider a shopping trip to take advantage of the strong dollar?

Visiting the Continent Now More Affordable Than Ever as Euro Continues Slide Against Dollar
Traveling to Europe soon? Consider bringing an empty suitcase to carry home all of your purchases. The euro has dropped precipitously against the dollar over the past year to $1.146 and shows signs of achieving parity.

It was only a few years ago that the euro was at $1.45 and it was at $1.36 at the beginning of 2014.

As long as the U.S. economy continues to remain in better shape than Europe’s...

<SNIP>
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: *G
There are only a few things available only in Europe, and for cheaper than can be bought in the US.

Most consumer and luxury goods - clothing, electronics, watches, jewelry - still haven't reached parity.

Not enough to justify a trip if the purpose is shopping.

But it is an opportune time simply to travel.

Last edited by deniah; Jan 22, 2015 at 11:02 am Reason: emphasis on "only"
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Reminds me of all the people who dashed to Russia to take advantage of the crumbling Ruble before manufacturers could adjust pricing.

But as for the items made in the EU, its a nice discount if you're there already. Would I make a special trip just to shop? Probably not but if I'm in Europe and see a nice Rimowa I probably wouldn't think twice about saving 30+% vs US prices.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think so, depending on what you shop for and how much you plan to spend. Wine, clothing, shoes, jewelry - absolutely it's a great time. I know people whose trip costs will be directly offset by the savings on the exchange rate, so even if the purchases could be made in the US, this is like shopping with a trip thrown in for free.

I personally wouldn't go to Europe for shopping, but the bulk of my holiday costs are travel/lodging/food/entertainment, not shopping
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Just booked a trip to Spain in May because of the Euro decline, using air miles (AA) to get there. Will book hotels soon and hopefully will be using LNF and BRG to get the rate even further down.

Oh, shopping I am sure my SO will be doing some.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Not sure what you folks shop for, but from my experience buying things I use on a daily basis, US has some of the cheapest pricing in the world.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
Not sure what you folks shop for, but from my experience buying things I use on a daily basis, US has some of the cheapest pricing in the world.
what about shopping for traffic to one's blog?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Just to shop? I do not think so.... when you add in the cost of the ticket and hotel... as well as the opportunity cost of the time to travel... I would find it difficult to make the trip break even.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm in Canada right now and it certainly feels cheap! I do my banking in HKD and USD so I gained about 25% in purchasing power since my last visit.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by silver-tls
Reminds me of all the people who dashed to Russia to take advantage of the crumbling Ruble before manufacturers could adjust pricing.
My parents were in Europe for the year when the 1994 Los Angeles earthquake hit. They'd rented out their house unfurnished but their last-minute tenants agreed to let them leave some items in cabinets. Among those items was their crystal, which was all reduced to shards.

Soon after, they found themselves in Czechoslovakia. The country's economy was in a state of chaos as the Communist bloc was collapsing. Its currency was crazily mispriced. Mom & Dad walked into a crystal shop and found some stemware they liked. The clerk quoted the price -- just ten cents at the then-current crazy exchange rate -- so they selected a set of a dozen glasses. You can imagine their shock when the clerk rang up the purchase and it came to ten cents for the whole dozen cut-crystal glasses.

During the same trip, they visited a friend who was a university professor in Warsaw. His monthly salary was less than the price of one international postage stamp.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm going through my trips and prepaying everything like hotels that I can.

The pricing of goods for purchase is market driven with Europe almost always having higher prices on durable goods. I was surprised to see tags in H&M where the price was uniformly the same in Dollars or Euros and for the exactly same product. Cheaper to buy it at home.

High end Italian goods - leather, shoes, etc. - routinely cost more in Italy than in the States - all market driven.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'd consider a food shopping trip to Sicily, if I had the funds. But, would a cannoli get past security? Outlook not so good.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Luxury handbags like Louis Vuitton will be cheaper (in Paris) plus you get the VAT refund. I am not into the bags but I already have a trip planned to Paris so I may treat myself.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
The euro and dollar are closer to parity than ever imagined as the euro continues its descent.

This presents a great opportunity for those looking for a shopping adventure (who doesn't like to shop?).

But more importantly, are you considering or would you consider a shopping trip to take advantage of the strong dollar?
2 problems with the logic.

First, if there is, for example, a 10% change in value then you effectively get a 10% discount while shopping. Which means that your shopping has to be 10X the cost of your plane ticket just to break even. So if you buy a $3,000 R/T from the US you have to spend $30,000 while shopping.

Second, consumer goods are usually much more expensive in Europe than in the US to begin with because of VAT and other structures built into costs.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We are going to Europe for three weeks in early fall, but I'm just not a shopper.

I can't get into buying stuff. I much prefer spending money on travel. I do take lots of pictures though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.