Introducing: the world's first airport terminal for animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Air travel can be such a nightmare, but one airport is determined to improve the experience… for animals, that is.

John F. Kennedy Airport is set to open the first privately-owned animal terminal in the world. It will be called, naturally, The Ark.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has signed a 30-year lease deal with Ark Development, an affiliate of the real estate company Racebrook Capital, to design and build a 178,000-square-foot animal cargo facility at the Queens, New York-based airport.

The $48m (31.6m) project will create 180 jobs and generate $108m in revenues over its 30-year span, the organisers said.
Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...r-animals.html

Fido and Mittens will be happy.
As well as Wilbur, Spot and Old Blue.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

That's.. Weird. Haha
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This place looks nicer than many of the USA domestic "clubs/lounges". I like the last part of the article:

If only someone would think of a way to make the flying experience that pleasant for humans...
So I guess when this opens, you would no longer check an animal at air cargo at JFK? No mention if the airlines are working with this group? What benefit is in it for AA, UA, DL, etc? And Foreign carriers?

The article does not say exactly how this is going to work. The place looks nice.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat

A $48m project that generates $108m in revenue over 30 years... Seems odd to say the least.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewp123
A $48m project that generates $108m in revenue over 30 years... Seems odd to say the least.
I thought the same thing. Why would anyone use this for a cat or dog? Simply check in at the ticket counter if flying with your pet or at the airline cargo facility. What benefit is this new facility for? The numbers do not add up. How does this company make money? The airlines already provide these services. Except for the Horse.

Is this a quarantine facility?

It still looks better than a DL SC, UA UC, AA AC for humans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.