Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap countries to visit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Cheap countries to visit

We spent Christmas week in Ubud, Bali and rented an amazing villa for 8 people with a staff and 6 and it was very inexpensive. I am starting to plan our 2016 family vacation and wonder what other countries might be cheap like Bali.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that Bali is not so cheap if you stay in hotels, eat in the fancier restaurants, and consume wine or alcohol. A lot depends on the style of travel that you're willing to do in some particular location.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

New York City has a policy where nobody can be turned away from the shelter. That means free housing though you might have to guard your shoes and luggage while sleeping (with one eye open).

Cheap countries to visit probably mostly means finding a cheap hotel. You can then buy food from the grocery store or market.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:17 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Cheap countries to visit

My personal experience is that Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, and Philippine were pretty cheap compared to European or American cities.
If you need information about any particular country then please PM me.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:23 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Caracas was quite cheap...but will you be planning a family vacation there? Let's go with no. Can't comment about the rest of the country.

As for usual suspects, depends what you consider expensive. I've found Indonesia, Malaysia, less well-known Chinese cities, and Bolivia to be kind on the wallet too.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
As people have said, it depends on how you want to live and where you're coming from. I was in South Africa last month. 17 Rand per Pound....everything to make my trip great was cheap; busses, wine, steak, food, tours, petrol, car hire and hotels...

A 25 bottle of wine was 4 down there. A 25 steak was 8.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Malaysia and Philippines are cheap to visit. I always feel like a god going there.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Argentina is cheap if you use the blue exchange rates and pay in cash.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:04 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Cheap countries to visit

Vietnam is very inexpensive (beer is 20.000 VND!). Nice hotels can be found in central Vietnam (Hué, da nang) for $25-40/night.

Don't forget the 2 hour massage for $18... No shenanigans.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Last year, my wife and I found Sri Lanka to be quite inexpensive, even fairly good hotels on the water. After the end of the civil war, they are quite eager for tourists.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Switzerland and Norway. Just kidding
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Argentina is cheap if you use the blue exchange rates and pay in cash.
Yes but also only stay in hotels off the tourist radar and avoid all internal flights unless you buy a ticket aimed at residents (and can prove you are one if asked).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: LH HON
Czech Republic
Hungary
Greece
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by ckx2
Czech Republic
Hungary
Greece
I wouldn't have thought of any of these.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Pulley
I wouldn't have thought of any of these.
I'm in Budapest right and can confirm, this place is CHEAP! A good meal cost 10-20$ in the city-center (per person), a ticket to the opera is less than 10$, drinks are also cheap, taxis are less than a $/km...

Not a country usually thought as cheap but I have found the USA to be kind of the wallet too, depending on where you go. Steer clear of the major cities and tourist areas and it can almost be as cheap as Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.