Limits on Sitting in Exit Row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold

Or, "how handicapped is handicapped"? I use a cane for balance since I have metal inplants in my leg, coupled with chronic pain in my ankle. I was removed from an exit row seat on a recent flight when the FA said "You are handicapped, and must move". I am perfectly able to assist in an emergency, but, yes, I do use a cane. I tried to find the FAA regulations on sitting at an exit row, and it seems I can meet all the listed requirements (over 18, able to hear and speak in English, open or lift the door, not travelling with a child, understand crew instructions, etc.). My favorite seats on most aircraft are at the exit rows. It now seems I can't get into them again. BTW, I did hide my collapsable cane and got the seat I wanted on a couple of flights; still, I would like to use the cane and get my seat. So, how handicapped does one have to be? Is this up to the FA?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes it is down to the FA, and being sufficiently mobile is a requirement.

(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because --
(1) The person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs:
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by relangford
Or, "how handicapped is handicapped"? I use a cane for balance since I have metal inplants in my leg, coupled with chronic pain in my ankle. I was removed from an exit row seat on a recent flight when the FA said "You are handicapped, and must move". I am perfectly able to assist in an emergency, but, yes, I do use a cane. I tried to find the FAA regulations on sitting at an exit row, and it seems I can meet all the listed requirements (over 18, able to hear and speak in English, open or lift the door, not travelling with a child, understand crew instructions, etc.). My favorite seats on most aircraft are at the exit rows. It now seems I can't get into them again. BTW, I did hide my collapsable cane and got the seat I wanted on a couple of flights; still, I would like to use the cane and get my seat. So, how handicapped does one have to be? Is this up to the FA?
Please. Find another seat.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
You use a cane to help with your leg. I'm sorry, but that is reason for ineligibility. Please don't try to game the system. Yes the chances are very low that you'll ever be on a flight that needs to use the emergency exits. But you don't want to have your leg cause even a 10 second delay on exiting - that could cost lives.

Please sit elsewhere
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As noted above yes it is up the crew. The full CFR with criteria is here. I'd not several additional items such as:

(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because--
(1) The person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs:
(i) To reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and exit-slide operating mechanisms;
(ii) To grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms;
(iii) To push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits;
(iv) To lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row objects the size and weight of over-wing window exit doors;
(v) To remove obstructions similar in size and weight to over-wing exit doors;
(vi) To reach the emergency exit expeditiously;
(vii) To maintain balance while removing obstructions;
(viii) To exit expeditiously;
(ix) To stabilize an escape slide after deployment; or
(x) To assist others in getting off an escape slide;
[emphasis added]

Are you able to meet those criteria (among others)? Since you noted a difficulty in maintaining balance without the cane, that alone sounds disqualifying based on (b)(vii). I'd wonder about some of the other tasks as well based on your description.

Exit row seating has qualifications for a reason, it isn't (or shouldn't be) a perk for comfort. Though the airlines are at least partly to blame for promoting this mindset with selling exit rows as preferred, ELR, E+, etc, etc.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Are you able to meet those criteria (among others)? Since you noted a difficulty in maintaining balance without the cane, that alone sounds disqualifying based on (b)(vii). I'd wonder about some of the other tasks as well based on your description.
Even if the OP believes they meet the criteria, it is up to the crew (certificate holder) to determine eligibility.

To repeat another poster above: Please sit elsewhere.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you weren't on an aircraft and had to jump up, reach over, twist and remove a 45 pound object (the emergency exit door) and move it aside and then get yourself out of the way, all unassisted, would you attempt that without having someone or something (a cane) to balance you?

That's the evaluation the crew faces. They aren't MD's and ties have to go to passenger safety.

Sure, many people can disguise an impairment and make it into an exit row. But, that endangers themselves and others. While emergencies are mercifully few and far between, when they happen, impediments to emergency procedures can be fatal.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Redhead
You use a cane to help with your leg. I'm sorry, but that is reason for ineligibility. Please don't try to game the system. Yes the chances are very low that you'll ever be on a flight that needs to use the emergency exits. But you don't want to have your leg cause even a 10 second delay on exiting - that could cost lives.

Please sit elsewhere
+1.

Suggest you buy EC, E+ or whatever it is called on the airline you are flying on.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Or, "how handicapped is handicapped"? I use a cane for balance since I have metal inplants in my leg, coupled with chronic pain in my ankle.
so let's play 'worst case scenario...'. Plane crash-lands and is on fire or is sinking in the Hudson. Everyone is in shock and panic trying to evacuate the plane, but the 50+ people behind you need to sit and wait patiently while you get out your cane to assist with balance as you attempt to remove the exit hatch ?

Your condition is exactly why there are physical standards for exit row eligibility.
Sounds like you don't meet those standards.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by nux
+1
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Your post reminded me of the passenger who always requested the exit row seat due to his bad back.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nux
Even if the OP believes they meet the criteria, it is up to the crew (certificate holder) to determine eligibility.

^
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
so let's play 'worst case scenario...'. Plane crash-lands and is on fire or is sinking in the Hudson. Everyone is in shock and panic trying to evacuate the plane, but the 50+ people behind you need to sit and wait patiently while you get out your cane to assist with balance as you attempt to remove the exit hatch ?

Your condition is exactly why there are physical standards for exit row eligibility.
Sounds like you don't meet those standards.
Pretty good illustration. I agree.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

A few comments here

The airlines are selling our safety for money. By making the most capable people to perform duties in an emergency without status pay for this Perk

My kids are more capable of opening that door than many of the adults I see in those seats yet they are not allowed to sit in them due to age limits

If the person who posted this was sitting in an exit row I presume he had status or paid for it so why not just get another economy plus or equivalent seat. Because every legacy airline charges for exit rows or you must be an elite status flyer

Some of those capable people I see an exit rows I would have to throw out of my way to get out in an emergency somebody deem them as capable

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Dec 5, 2014 at 5:44 am
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:45 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
I wonder how many exit row passengers can lift a 40 pound exit door and throw it out of the opening (as instructed in some airplanes)?

There should be a mock up of an exit door requiring picking up and throwing the door near the gates, so that passengers can test their ability to do the required task. As a bonus, the mock up can have seats and overhead bins so that passengers can test their carryon baggage in them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.