Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Boring Airport Terminal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
BHM and GRR come to mind. I haven't been to BHM since 2005 so maybe they have changed things since then. The commuter terminal at SAN is also just like one big waiting room.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
I thought CMH was really, really, dull - at least for the Delta gates end of the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:23 am

JED domestic. Imagine a 3rd-world bus terminal for airplanes, only rather less interesting and falling apart.

Honorary 2nd place goes to MEL T4.

Fortunately neither of these are long for this world, both should be replaced circa 2015.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Old terminal of DOH.
BAH, GIG, SVO and CDG (T1) come to mind.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

The Easyjet terminal at SXF is basically an empty hall. But in fairness the rest of the airport isn't really any better.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Faro gets my vote. Packed with people in lines for everything, little seating, sad cafes.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Faro gets my vote. Packed with people in lines for everything, little seating, sad cafes.
Traveling from there last year, my companion/colleague makes a point of telling me how much he likes small airports. "No hustle and bustle, don't have to walk much to get around, and security is always fast."

My response: "Less people is nice, but there isn't squat to do or eat here as we wait, and Precheck makes my security fast at any airport. I can't wait to get out of this dump and to ORD." I don't even like O'Hare.

My vote, anyway, is SYR. Tiny, nothing of any real quality worth eating, and all RJs all day long. A lot like FAR, now that I think of it.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:41 pm

I'm inclined to say ORD. It's so grey and bland.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by travellight
the alaska airlines terminal in nome, alaska is boring. Just a converted hanger with carpet and some chairs added. No jetways or stores or art.
i agree very boring when i was there.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
JED domestic. Imagine a 3rd-world bus terminal for airplanes, only rather less interesting and falling apart.
Agree, the condition of the terminal is deplorable. Although the bus ride along the alleys of widebodies more than make up for this.

I'll toss in FCO T5. A concession to the over the top Department of Homeland Security nonsense forced on various countries. The Italians took a disused cargo hangar and turned it into one of the most depressing buildings ever.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I always thought that the architecture of the TWA domestic terminal at JFK was horrible. Their international terminal was stunning and creative--it became an iconic building--but the domestic terminal next to it was just a rectangular box. To make it worse, the two terminals were connected by a windowless carpeted wooden shed that was miserably hot and humid in the summer but cold and damp in winter. In the middle of the thing, you went out of the covered area (i.e., into the rain and snow) to cross an active roadway.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:26 am

Deleted

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Nov 20, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

I think people may have misinterpreted what I was asking here.

I said "boring"; as in dull, uninspired, without imagination; not necessarily hell-holes (which can still be interesting). I've been in plenty of airports where are nothing more that converted hangers, and they can still be interesting, or have an attempt at being interesting.

My point was that of all places in the world, LAS' T3 is completely uninspiring. Given LAS is a bright, colourful place, not being able to capture any of that in the terminal building is really really sad. Apparently I'm not the only one

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...ch-be-desired/
http://www.vegassolo.com/mccarrans-t...res-the-vegas/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Removing answers like TUP or FAY which are too small to really count, I'd say probably Terminal 2 at JFK. Despite Delta's well meaning efforts, it's still a pretty soulless warehouse type building.

Terminal 1 at SFO isn't far behind it though.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: LH HON
CGN Terminal 2 does not even have a proper restaurant!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.