Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who gets the sofabed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Question Who gets the sofabed?

A friend and I were visiting the same city. I offered to redeem my Marriott free night certificate and I booked a king + sofabed. (No luck with double beds.) My friend, paying nothing, would sleep on the sofabed.

Or so I presumed. When we checked in, he asked me which bed I wanted. I returned the question immediately; he said we should flip a coin.

I won. But I was shocked that he, a respectful fellow, would even suggest that I take the sofabed when I had effectively paid in full.

What do you think?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
A friend and I were visiting the same city. I offered to redeem my Marriott free night certificate and I booked a king + sofabed. (No luck with double beds.) My friend, paying nothing, would sleep on the sofabed.

Or so I presumed. When we checked in, he asked me which bed I wanted. I returned the question immediately; he said we should flip a coin.

I won. But I was shocked that he, a respectful fellow, would even suggest that I take the sofabed when I had effectively paid in full.

What do you think?
Completely depends on the context of your friendship, and the needs of you and your friend. I don't think there is a general rule that the person not paying gets the shaft when it comes to the bedding.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
If it is a girl, I always offer the bed.
If it's a guy, it depends on our relationship and other factors (seniority, disability, special occasion ect.).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
What a waste of an FT thread.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
You pay you get the bed. End of discussion. If I was you the only thing I would flip is the bird.

If im traveling with a make friend he pays his way.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:23 pm

I would simply accept the life lesson and I would not offer a free bed to this particular person again.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Who gets the sofabed?

Shouldn't have flipped a coin, since he correctly asked you what bed you wanted and you reversed the question obviously indicating you didn't care. He should have taken the King bed.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by srk123
+100 !

Answer is simple, Guest - Friend comes first.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It seems like you were rather passive aggressive about this. When he asked which bed you wanted, you didn't answer, and now you are complaining about it.

I think he acted very appropriately. He asked your preference, as he should have. You didn't have one. When neither of you expressed an opinion, he came up with a quick way of breaking the stalemate.

If you wanted the big bed, you should have said so. People aren't mind readers.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by cbn42
It seems like you were rather passive aggressive about this. When he asked which bed you wanted, you didn't answer, and now you are complaining about it.

I think he acted very appropriately. He asked your preference, as he should have. You didn't have one. When neither of you expressed an opinion, he came up with a quick way of breaking the stalemate.

If you wanted the big bed, you should have said so. People aren't mind readers.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by srk123
By no means the first, and by no means the last.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

I disagree he should have asked my preference.

Travel agents ask if you prefer window or aisle. Middle is not an option because that's silly.

You need not read minds to understand that bed vs. sofa is silly.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
I disagree he should have asked my preference.

Travel agents ask if you prefer window or aisle. Middle is not an option because that's silly.

You need not read minds to understand that bed vs. sofa is silly.
I see nothing wrong in his question:

'Which one would you prefer'
'I'll take the king thanks'
'Ok'

He was broaching the subject politely, for all he knew maybe you wanted the sofa bed (closer to the bathroom, watch TV in bed, etc.) While you don't see it as a reasonable question, I'd far rather that than someone making assumptions about the situation.

You were the one that turned the situation into the coin toss it became, a simple answer to the question would have sufficed.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
I see nothing wrong in his question:

'Which one would you prefer'
'I'll take the king thanks'
I'd feel selfish saying that. I took his question of preference as a veiled request for the bed.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Thats why you are having this issue. You are passive aggressive. When it comes to comfort Im not thinking about how others will perceive me as rude for taking what im entitled too. Im not going to infringe on somebodies space. I expect the same. Your friend tried to manipuate by causing you guilt over taking the bed. You got punked because you agreed to flip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.