Wiki Posts
Search

Sweaters as Carryon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Sweaters as Carryon

Okay,

Dumb question here. I'll be traveling this Friday to a wetter, slightly cooler part of the country.

Can I wear a sweater over or under a jacket (suit) and keep my trench coat in my lap or overhead bin? I'm talking about a rather heavy shawl collar sweater that I don't have room in my carryon for? Can I wear it like any other cardigan under a jacket and take it off once on the plane?

If I have one small carryon, does the trench coat count as a personal item? How about the sweater? It is my intention to take off the sweater once I'm on the flight and putting it back on at my connection.

I don't intend to check baggage. It's a 2 night trip, and it isn't worth dragging a suitcase along. Just a small bag with a couple shirts, some underwear, maybe some slacks.

Am I overthinking, or will somebody raise a fuss? Does it really matter if I have two jackets I will be removing? Neither is a "winter" jacket and not terribly bulky,but I don't want to lose the sweater in an argument with CATSA.

Should I wear the sweater on the plane and wear the jacket overtop and remove the jacket and trench?

C.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You will be fine. A jacket doesn't count as a carryon/personal item. Just disrobe when you get on board.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
If you feel too warm you could just remove your shirt/blouse and wear only your sweater/top coat. Joking, of course, but years ago while travelling with our twins, they both spit up (substantially) all over me. I had to take my shirt off (in the lav) and only had a cardigan sweater to wear. I thought it was quite stylish. Wife...well, she thought differently.

What Doc said...don't sweat it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most carriers have a list of stuff that doesn't count as a carry on item: coat, hat, umbrella, newspaper, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.