Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Killing time on long flight and getting over jetlag

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

What are your tips and strategies for killing time on an 11 hour flight, and how do I get over jetlag quickly. We only have a week and so I want to adjust as quickly as possible. Tips and suggestions appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: QF
I listen to whole music compilations that I save for the flight (I won't listen to those songs the week before), I might save a few docos or movies I hadn't seen in a while on my iPad. Fly with someone I know and have a quiet chat with them. Make sure I stand up and have a quick walk every 2-3 hours if I'm in coach to avoid DVTs, enjoy the service in premium cabins. The time flies by if you let it I think.

As for jetlag, I would ignore any tiredness and excess energy you have as soon as you arrive. Adopt the local timetable immediately so eat if it's lunch time and force yourself to sleep if it's bedtime. If you've had to stay up longer than usual, a big brekky generally helps me through the day.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the tips so far. We'll load up our iPad with Dexter Season 5, and maybe download a few games the two of us can play together like Cribbage and Back Gammon.

Do you usually take any sleeping aids?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by erika33
Thx for the tips so far. We'll load up our iPad with Dexter Season 5, and maybe download a few games the two of us can play together like Cribbage and Back Gammon.

They leave me pretty drowsy when I wake up so usually no. If I wanted to sleep on the plane I generally take the alcohol approach. There's not a lot of empirical evidence studying the effects of altitude and the distribution of alcohol but for me it seems to level out at 1 standard drink being equal to 1.5-2 at cruising altitude for me anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Definitely load up the iPad with books, magazines, music, movies, TV shows . . .

I enjoy the service (premium cabin), and even have a little beauty ritual involving lots of moisturizers and a paper face mask (Paul & Joe or Shiseido) for deep moisturizing.

To avoid jet lag, I start adjusting my body clock a little bit a couple of days before the flight, going to bed a little earlier, waking up a little earlier, if at all possible. When I board the flight, I start telling myself it is the time at the destination (if there is a stopover, then the time there). It's just a mind game, but I find it helps. I stay hydrated, and sleep on the flight as much as I can (as appropriate). I eat the meal that is appropriate to the time of day when we land, and try to stay awake as long as possible during that first day, going to bed at a reasonable hour (8:30 or 9:00 pm). I am usually fine after that.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I set my watch and cycle onto the local time of destination as soon as I board.

If I arrive in the am, I try to sleep as much as possible.
If I arrive in the pm, I try not to sleep and fight to stay awake as late as possible on arrival.

Both of these are to try and cycle onto the local time and sleep a normal night the first night.

Naps during the day in destination are a no-no. Don't give in. Just stay active and moving. Can't fall asleep standing up.

I don't use sleep aids.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I take a different approach. If can have a night flight and avoid early morning starts. You end up losing a night sleep with early starts. I sleep on the plane, can't help it. When there get out and exercise if light. If only a week trip I tend to nap during day and sleep less during night. Makes coming home easier, but if I am out and active don't need naps and keep going. Set watch to new time zone as soon a soon the plane and don't think about what time it is at home while travelling. Drink lots of water on the plane and hydrate before hand.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
What route and times are you flying?

On an overnight flight, I try to keep to my usual bedtime rituals (such that they are) as much as possible. Usual brushing of teeth & flossing; change from contacts to glasses after dinner then take glasses off before "bed"; put on breathe-right nasal strips; etc. Turn off the IFE monitor. Seems to help get me in the frame of mind.

I find a drink or so helps me before bed, but YMMV on that one. I don't ever take sleep aids as they tend to make me feel worse later.

Getting what "exercise" you can helps in either day or night flight. Just a walk up and down the aisle and some stretches in an unobtrusive spot, or little micro-exercises at my seat.

I try to not sleep on daytime flights even long ones - sometimes easier said than done though. Hopefully the airplane has some decent IFE to supplement whatever you bring along.

As others have mentioned, force yourself into the local timeframe immediately. It's like getting into the pool when it's slightly cool - sooner you jump in and get it over with, the better. I find getting at least a little walk in upon arrival at the destination hotel helps even in the evening.

Also agree with setting your watch to wherever you're going - I do that as soon as I'm settled into my seat on departure.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No to sleep aids because they keep you screwed up long after you've landed and need to be cogent. A couple of drinks, nap if you want, but when you get to your destination, stay awake until 1000pm local no matter what. And you'll be fine.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
What are your tips and strategies for killing time on an 11 hour flight, and how do I get over jetlag quickly. We only have a week and so I want to adjust as quickly as possible. Tips and suggestions appreciated.
My strategies for an 11 hour flight are:

1) Sleep
2) Sleep
3) Sleep

And if I get a chance, I take a nap or two.

You don't get over jet lag quickly. You learn to adapt to it. When you arrive, immediately force yourself to live on local time. Stay up until it's night time local.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:22 pm

Exposure to sunlight helps one to adjust to the new time zone quicker. So my suggestion, if possible, is stay out and walk outside as often as you reasonably can.

Although yes, the first few days it usually can be a bit of a struggle to force yourself to stay awake or eat at times when your body tells you that it is not hungry. But sunshine does help decrease the jet lag duration.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:05 am

I agree with the importance of sunlight to help your body clock adjust. For the first night or two keep your curtains at least partially open so your brain knows when sunrise is.
On your flight it's s balance between the time at your destination and making sure you sre not sleep deprived.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:32 am

I really recommend having a wide selection of reading material, not just stuff that you are "supposed" to read. I find The Economist is really good for lasting a long time. I'm usually a fast reader, but somehow an issue can keep me occupied for hours. I have also gotten through long novels, but make sure to bring a few fun and frivolous ones too. (I'm a woman, so maybe this is advice more suited to a woman.)

I don't like headphones (I seem to be one of the few), so I don't bother with movies or music.

Some blank paper so you can write stuff, should you be inspired to plan stuff at work, or outline your new novel, or something like that.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.

<--Fan of ambien for >4 time zones. It's a defibrillator for your circadian rhythm, with no hangover the next day like the Benadryl-based sleep aids.
See other threads on FT about ambien. Your first time taking it (first ten times, actually) should be at home, NOT in a plane or hotel.

Most of my trips are short-notice with only 3-5 days on-site. I need to hit the ground well-rested and 'on' the local time of day. In a perfect world, I'd have a week to change my sleep patern before I left, a few days at my destination to get used to the 12-hour difference, and another week to reverse the process for the trip home.
Meanwhile, back here in reality, ambien accomplishes the same results in about 30 minutes when taken on an empty stomach.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
My strategies for an 11 hour flight are:

1) Sleep
2) Sleep
3) Sleep

And if I get a chance, I take a nap or two.

You don't get over jet lag quickly. You learn to adapt to it. When you arrive, immediately force yourself to live on local time. Stay up until it's night time local.
100% agree.

I'm lucky not to suffer any jetlag on time changes of less than 5 hours, but for bigger time changes, I find that powering through the first day in order to adapt to local time always works. When I was working in Oz and Europe frequently, I would purposely book myself to arrive on a Monday morning in order to force myself to quickly adapt to the new time. After a good night's sleep, I am 100% adapted.

Catching up on sleep on the plane helps immensely, as there's not much else to do, anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.