Wiki Posts
Search

Seek Advice: ANA Premium Economy vs SQ Economy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Seeking advice for my coming trip to USA, from Singapore. I am always on SQ economy but am thinking if it's better (comfort wise) to take ANA Premium Economy instead.

ANA will take a shorter time to arrive at my destination as there are 2 transits compared to 3 on SQ..

Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, ANA premium economy is better than SQ economy. Bigger seat, smaller cabin, more legroom.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, ANA premium economy is better than SQ economy. Bigger seat, smaller cabin, more legroom.
Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:18 am
Suspended

Welcome to FT VOSGP!

Have you looked at the websites? Surely there is no comparison...

NH Premium Economy

SQ Economy
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:39 am

If long haul I would go for SQ
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Why? Can you elaborate?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Premium Economy (assuming no status) on ANA gets you a bigger, more comfortable seat with footrests and reading light; more legroom; better food; priority baggage and check-in; and lounge access. ANA has the added benefit of fewer connections and earlier arrival.

Regular Economy on SQ gets you none of those things. Great in-flight service, sure, but ANA is none too shabby in that department.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Welcome to FT VOSGP!

Have you looked at the websites? Surely there is no comparison...

NH Premium Economy

SQ Economy
Thanks LondonElite.

I tried to look from various websites etc but none of them helps.

My friend told me ANA seats doesnt recline. It moves "forward" and it's not so comfortable..... anyone has any experience?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

I can't say, but I would always choose a PE product over standard economy, and with only two flights rather than three it would seem obvious. I've only been in F and J on NH, but peeking into the PE cabin, it did make a very nice impression to me.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Having looked at the pages, NH premium economy is a no-brainer. It looks like a domestic US Airways business cabin (actually, better because you have recliners). SQ economy is just that...economy. Plus you'll probably get sushi on NH .
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

VOSGP - out of interest, what is the price difference?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 pm

I just came back from Singapore. I was on ANA. I was flying their 787, which has a large business cabin, and surprised by this small section in back of business that had old-looking seats. That was economy plus.
The seats in economy were pretty new with nice vibrant touchscreens that had a usb port and more. The seats in economy plus looked like old-leather seats. Sure, they were bigger, but it didn't seem too different.

Anyway, I've flown by SQ and ANA before (in business and economy): SQ always has good service. This time ANA had grumpy flight attendants. I don't know what upset them, but they weren't as good as Japanese people usually are.

But if you've never flown SQ before, I'd say fly them just for the experience.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

VOSGP - out of interest, what is the price difference?
Thanks everyone for your views and sharing.

LondonElite, it's about Us$250 more for ANA vs SQ+United.

PS: I am krisflyer gold so lounge access and priority queue are not in my considerations. Purely comfort/rest is my top priority.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:18 am
Suspended

You didn't mention United before! Even more reason to take ANA!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I just came back from Singapore. I was on ANA. I was flying their 787, which has a large business cabin, and surprised by this small section in back of business that had old-looking seats. That was economy plus.
The seats in economy were pretty new with nice vibrant touchscreens that had a usb port and more. The seats in economy plus looked like old-leather seats. Sure, they were bigger, but it didn't seem too different.

Anyway, I've flown by SQ and ANA before (in business and economy): SQ always has good service. This time ANA had grumpy flight attendants. I don't know what upset them, but they weren't as good as Japanese people usually are.

But if you've never flown SQ before, I'd say fly them just for the experience.
I think grumpy FAs can happen on any airline (even SQ), so for sake of comfort I would choose PE over economy.

ANA's service is pretty good, and the food is quite decent. However the IFE movies can be a bit dated, unless you enjoy Japanese dramas (very updated).

I would suggest the following:

1. If you plan to sleep through the flight PE with ANA
2. If you plan to catch up on movies or tv shows, and the flight is short (7 hr or less) go with SQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.