Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baggage rules with connecting flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to understand how baggage rules apply when flying two different carriers with different rules. It seems as though if one flight is domestic and one is int'l, then the int'l carrier's rules apply-- is that right?

However, I can't understand the rules for a purely domestic flight (or two international flights). Does it go by the first carrier, or is it the first carrier unless the second carrier "marketed" the flight (and does that mean more than simply sold you the ticket as a codeshare)?

I have tried poking around for this information but have only ended up confused. (I even saw one reference suggesting that baggage fees have to be the same for both legs of a roundtrip?)

Is there a wiki somewhere that explains how this works? Does it change airline to airline?

thanks
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:47 pm

If its 2 domestic flights but all on one ticket I would assume you could check your bags thru to your final destination and only pay the originating fees. If its 2 separate tickets then you'll probably have to pay both times.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
If its 2 domestic flights but all on one ticket I would assume you could check your bags thru to your final destination and only pay the originating fees. If its 2 separate tickets then you'll probably have to pay both times.
Yes-- this is all assuming it's a single ticket (hadn't considered interlining issues).

I was more curious about the situation where the first carrier has no/lower fees but the connecting carrier has fees (or higher ones at least)-- do I have to pay the highest fee, or the first carrier's fee?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your ticket originates or terminates in the USA, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all remaining segments. For purposes of this response, we're going to presume its a USA ticket at one end or the other.

If you purchase a single ticket and the two (or more) carriers have an interline baggage agreement (likely unless your domestic is on WN or somesuch):

A-B Carrier #1 (domestic)
B-C Carrier #2 (nternational)
C-B Carrier #2 (international)
B-A Carrier #1 (domestic)

Your baggage allowance for B-C-B-A will be whatever Carrier #1 (presuming that it is not only the operating, but marketing carrier) provides for a baggage allowance (stripped of waivers for elite status and the like).

If your two (or more) carriers do not have an interline agreement or your connection is too long (overnight in most cases), you will have to collect your bags and pay anew if your allowance does not cover whatever it is that you are checking.

If your ticket does not touch the USA, ignore this post !
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If your ticket originates or terminates in the USA, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all remaining segments. For purposes of this response, we're going to presume its a USA ticket at one end or the other.

If you purchase a single ticket and the two (or more) carriers have an interline baggage agreement (likely unless your domestic is on WN or somesuch):

A-B Carrier #1 (domestic)
B-C Carrier #2 (nternational)
C-B Carrier #2 (international)
B-A Carrier #1 (domestic)

Your baggage allowance for B-C-B-A will be whatever Carrier #1 (presuming that it is not only the operating, but marketing carrier) provides for a baggage allowance (stripped of waivers for elite status and the like).

If your two (or more) carriers do not have an interline agreement or your connection is too long (overnight in most cases), you will have to collect your bags and pay anew if your allowance does not cover whatever it is that you are checking.

If your ticket does not touch the USA, ignore this post !
Thanks for this explanation! That's very simple, except I don't understand what the "marketing carrier" is? Does that mean if I buy a ticket through United for a code-shared flight then United is the marketing carrier? What I buy the ticket through Vayama-- would UA still be the marketing carrier?

Also, I was under the impression that IATA had decided that for domestic-international that the international carrier's rules apply, but you are suggesting that is not the case for a flight beginning or ending in the US?

This question was recently prompted by a recent US domestic roundtrip where I was charged for luggage in one direction and not the other, but it sounds as though perhaps that was just a mistake?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The marketing carrier will generally -- but not always -- be identified from the flight number and ticket stock.

2. IATA is a trade group. It can decide what it wants. My earlier post details US law on the subject. I am again presuming that your ticket originates or terminates in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.