Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tactics for offsetting travel costs? (not flights or hotels)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: EMT-P

I've become very good at booking flights and hotels for free. I can also offset a portion of other travel expenses using my Barclay Arrival points.

Folks, I understand that there are going to be costs associated with travelling to far away and exotic places. But if you have some tips and tricks as to how you minimize these, I'd appreciate it.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
That's a hard question to answer. For the most part, if I can get my flights and hotels for free, that's the vast majority of the cost of an international trip, so I just don't worry about the rest.

But to answer your question:
- Avoid carriers that charge YQ.
- Avoid airports that have large departure fees.
- Avoid countries that require an expensive visa to visit.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

I have a water bottle I fill with water rather than paying for airport water. It's saved me hundreds of dollars.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL

renting out your apartment while you are away?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
Pack light so you can take public transit.

In expensive cities or countries, self-cater to the extent possible. My plan of action is typically stuff myself at the hotel breakfast, eat lunch out, and self-cater dinner (sandwiches and the like--stuff you can buy at a grocery store that doesn't require cooking or implements to prepare). When eating out, lunch is often cheaper than dinner for the same food. Similar vein is that prepared food areas at grocery stores (that have them) are often good, cheap options.

Do the math to see if a combo pass for museums/sights is a good deal. Sometimes it can be a steal over paying for entries individually. In many cities these also operate as a transit pass, making them an even better deal, or at least reducing the hassle-factor of an unfamiliar transit system.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kanor
renting out your apartment while you are away?
Check the Airbnb situation in California before you think about that.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Check the Airbnb situation in California before you think about that.
Just curious. Link? Does it have anything to do with someone moving in and not leaving, like the nanny?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Flinders

Do the math to see if a combo pass for museums/sights is a good deal.
If you're going to visit major USA National Parks at least three times in a year, an Annual Pass is $80 and gets you into the express admission line in a few places like the Grand Canyon. And if someone in your car is over age 62, they can get a senior pass- $10 and good for the rest of their life.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by Flinders
Pack light so you can take public transit.

In expensive cities or countries, self-cater to the extent possible. My plan of action is typically stuff myself at the hotel breakfast, eat lunch out, and self-cater dinner (sandwiches and the like--stuff you can buy at a grocery store that doesn't require cooking or implements to prepare). When eating out, lunch is often cheaper than dinner for the same food. Similar vein is that prepared food areas at grocery stores (that have them) are often good, cheap options.

Do the math to see if a combo pass for museums/sights is a good deal. Sometimes it can be a steal over paying for entries individually. In many cities these also operate as a transit pass, making them an even better deal, or at least reducing the hassle-factor of an unfamiliar transit system.
I do like the "stuff yourself for breakfast" and self-cater dinner idea. Food is certainly where a majority of the other money goes and that is an area on which I can concentrate.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The approach to food, for me, depends largely on the purpose of the trip and the city or area being visited. If it's just my wife and I and a place with great cuisine, then we'll probably pass on bland hotelfood and do something with local character. If it's a family trip, I'll probably try to find a breakfast-included hotel and maybe find a deli or grocery where a good picnic lunch can be assembled. (Still interesting and tasty food...just not a long restaurant meal.) If it's a timeshare/condo-type stay, then we might cook a meal or two...especially if there's a decent grill available.

I also eat streetfood pretty much everywhere, including places where the guidebook says "Don't eat the streetfood!" Only been a couple times...smaller towns in China, mainly...where the odor of the streetfood was too offputting for me to break through and try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.