Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any data on business class ticket prices adjusted for inflation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Is there any data for business class ticket prices adjusted for inflation since 1978, are they higher or lower now?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: SK Diamond
The prices are lower than they were before. Not so strange, considering that the costs are lower as well.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightCancelled
The prices are lower than they were before. Not so strange, considering that the costs are lower as well.
I thought airlines have less room to cut back in business class because it caters to the premium market who have other priorities other than the lowest price alone?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

I've seen a figure this week that air travel is 60% cheaper in real terms than in 1970.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I've seen a figure this week that air travel is 60% cheaper in real terms than in 1970.
But those are the economy fare, I doubt whether business class fares are that less expensive in real terms.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It's not business class but my first big trip was in economy in 1994.

MEL YVR LAX MEL

I paid $1560. I just looked at expedia.com.au and the price is now $1477 for the same itinerary.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I wonder what that itinerary would have been in USD or GBP in 1994, compared to today - i.e., has the appreciation of the Australian dollar outpaced inflation in those countries?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:51 am

Inflation of BOTH price and quality

I was just a poor student in the 70s, but I can speak to the past decade. 10 years ago I could hunt to BC tickets to Europe and generally ferret out a non-refundible deal in the $3000-$3500 range. Today it seems that the lower end starts at $5000 for unpopular dates, $6000 for times closer to peak. Since we have not had anything near 100% general price inflation over these years, it is clear that BC tickets have outpaced the US CPI. However, it's unfair to compare a modern lie-flat semi-suite (now the standard) with yesterday's recliner, which in retrospect comes across like just a bigger coach seat, with deeper recline.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think there's more variability today. I can't speak to unrestricted-J walk-up fares then and now, but today it seems like airlines advertise discounted-J more than they used to.

I've received emails over the years from UA and AA (mainly) offering TATL in the $2500-3000 R/T range. I know we've had threads here about DL fares in the same range. Usually long advance purchase (sometimes 60-days to fully shield these fares from large corporate buyers) and other restrictions apply. Way off peak season, of course.

You can still get recliners TATL in the $3k-4k range on a more regular basis. Aer Lingus is one place to look for those.

I'd say the same goes for domestic U.S. J/F. Lots of variability...get lucky, and you find a midcon R/T in F for $500-600. Not bad if the same flights happen to be mostly full in Y and you're already looking at $400 R/T to sit in back. I've seen a few recently where confirming in F costs about what the coach fare plus two kiosk upgrades would cost...if you were fortunate enough to be offered kiosk upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Business Class on UA/ANA SFO/NRT is up roughly 10% in the last 10 years. But service has also improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.