Crew resting on flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew resting on flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Crew resting on flights

On my recent jfk-cdg flight, I noticed the flight attendants went to the crew cabin to sleep. I started wondering why they get to sleep on such a 'short' flight (less than 8 hours). How come it's different than a regular 9-5 job, in which you don't get to take time off to rest. On 'long' flights (8 hours or more), I can understand the reason, but why on 'short' flights also?
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by mendel k
On my recent jfk-cdg flight, I noticed the flight attendants went to the crew cabin to sleep. I started wondering why they get to sleep on such a 'short' flight (less than 8 hours). How come it's different than a regular 9-5 job, in which you don't get to take time off to rest. On 'long' flights (8 hours or more), I can understand the reason, but why on 'short' flights also?
Thanks in advance
Could have been working before that flight or have another coming up. Can't assume that's the FAs work done for the day.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Not to mention that work is not limited to just the time from doors close to doors open (i.e. block times). There's all the time on the ground loading the aircraft, and the briefings and whatnot before that.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Generally they are working several flights. It might be that they bad a couple more short flights before the day was over.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

There is no way that FAs after TA flight would go and work another flight. When they land their day is over.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
There is no way that FAs after TA flight would go and work another flight. When they land their day is over.
Agreed. The JFK-CDG is the only flight they work that day. This being said, there is some pre-flight prep and (very little) work after the flight. But there is not much for them to do during the middle of the flight, so no reason to not let them have a rest, IMO. It may also be legally requred, but I don't know how long a flight has to be for that to be the case.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by mendel k
On my recent jfk-cdg flight, I noticed the flight attendants went to the crew cabin to sleep. I started wondering why they get to sleep on such a 'short' flight (less than 8 hours). How come it's different than a regular 9-5 job, in which you don't get to take time off to rest.
I have seen many people in '9-5' jobs that take 1 hour long naps in their car during lunch hour, some even take an afternoon cat nap for 20 mins or so. There's nothing really stopping you from sneaking away for a short afternoon nap - is there?

As for the JFK-CDG, not sure which airline this was on, but some operators have stipulations in their collective agreements that provide for crew rest periods on overseas flights or flight above a certain block time. It is also possible that the FA operated a flight or multiple flights that day into JFK and the JFK-CDG was the last leg for that particular duty day.

Did the crew rest adversely impact your flight in some way?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:21 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Most likely it's a negotiated union benefit whether it is warranted or not is a totally different question.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why does it matter so long as OP got roughly the service he sought? If that is the complaint, it's about service, not sleeping.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by GB
Most likely it's a negotiated union benefit whether it is warranted or not is a totally different question.
That makes sense, thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.