Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most disappointing place you've been to

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
I can't help it...must...correct...'who's' to 'whose'.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...
Ah yes indeed, an unforgivable lapse in grammar, I'm sorry for any unintentional offense or offence.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
My Yorkshire friends quip that the biggest problem with Leeds is it considers itself the London of the north.
Didn't they have a Premier League football team once?

Maybe it's like L.A. in the U.S. and the NFL...the city decided it was big enough and important enough that it'd be fine with or without that. Plenty to do otherwise!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Paris. To me, it doesn't live up to nor does it justify all the hype. I took my mother there several years ago - she was in her early seventies at the time - and she'd wanted to go her whole life. She says to this day she was disappointed and that she enjoyed the UK much more than Paris.

Stonehenge runs a close second. Totally underwhelming. I actually felt bad for talking my DH into driving us there (but we were stuck in the UK for two months waiting for visas to KSA and there's only so much of one's MIL one can take....).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by RustyC
Didn't they have a Premier League football team once?
Where have you gone Don Revie?

Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
The USC campus in Los Angeles.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by srk123
The USC campus in Los Angeles.
You got that right.

Fight On, for ol' SC,
our men fight on, to victory!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I've got to add Anchorage to my list. Granted, I didn't have a car. But the city itself was very underwhelming.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Where have you gone Don Revie?

Well I'm currently in a city that has a statue of an infamous ex Leeds manager. Somewhat underwhelmed. Neither north nor south with none of the merits of either.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Well I'm currently in a city that has a statue of an infamous ex Leeds manager. Somewhat underwhelmed. Neither north nor south with none of the merits of either.
Must be Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by Georgemia
Mont St. Michel - it's difficult and time consuming to get there and while nice to look at-at a distance-it's full of souvenir shops and bad food.
My experience exactly. It's a perfect fit for this thread, because it was pitched, during all my years in French class, as this magical place from days gone by.

Expectations - high. Reality - a sharp kick in the teeth.

(I've posted my contempt for modern-day Mont St. Michel years ago in other threads. I just want to make sure it gets another vote in this one. )

--

Switching gears: All y'all posting stuff like "Omaha" or "Bristol" need to get serious - if the place has a reputation as a snoozefest or a dump, and it actually *is*, that's not disappointing.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
Switching gears: All y'all posting stuff like "Omaha" or "Bristol" need to get serious - if the place has a reputation as a snoozefest or a dump, and it actually *is*, that's not disappointing.
Likewise, nobody should be "disappointed" that small & remote towns they visit for a rest stop along the highway lack culture, intellectual community, museums, high end shopping, major sports teams, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.