Visiting the Airport Control Tower?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting the Airport Control Tower?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I've been to an en route facility, a TRACON, an airport tower at a major hub and the FAA command center. At all of those places, I know someone, but my field of work has me doing air traffic research anyways, so visiting these places is also part of my job
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been in a few airline ops towers over the years but not an FAA facility. I've got a friend who has offered me access but haven't been able to make the timing work quite yet on that one.

Off the top of my head I've been in EWR/CO, ATL/DL and JFK/AA. All were part of group events organized by the airline hosting us. This was just a couple weeks ago at the ATL/DL one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I recall twenty years ago that I was able to visit several towers simply by calling and noting I was a private pilot and wanted to make a brief visit. Invariably the answer was yes, and I showed my PPL and that was that.

A few months ago I tried that - wanting to give a grandchild the experience. I was told that it was no longer possible, that I would need to submit a request in writing 60 days in advance and undergo a security check.

Sigh.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there was a DO a few years ago that organized a control tower tour at a major USA airport. They discovered at the last minute that USA citizenship was required...
That might have been the San Diego Do in July 2001, organized by SanDiego1K and Captain Mike. I don't recall the citizenship issue, since it wouldn't have affected me directly and 13 years have gone by, but it sounds plausible.

The tower visit was interesting, even though nothing much was going on: it was a clear day with normal operations, and SAN has only one runway (it's the world's busiest single-runway airport), so most of the controllers were sitting around.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
You can get married in the tower at Arlanda (Stockholm).http://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/at-t...vice/weddings/
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:03 pm

As others have said unless you know someone good luck. When I was around 8 years old my dad knew someone who worked in the local tower and had the magic key to make the elevator go up there. It was pretty cool seeing the airport from up there and even cooler when they let me flip the switch to turn on the runway lights for an incoming plane. We got to spend a good hour or more up there. I can't remember if they didn't allow camera up there or we didn't think to bring one with us but it'd have been cool to have pics of our visit.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
For what it's worth, while towers tend to have the best views, the activity tends to be far more interesting at TRACONs. I've been to to all of the major facilities that service SFO (SFO tower, NorCal TRACON, and Oakland ARTCC) and SFO tower was downright sleepy compared to the magic that the SFO final approach controller pulls off in NorCal.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:45 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:45 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
That might have been the San Diego Do in July 2001, organized by SanDiego1K and Captain Mike. I don't recall the citizenship issue, since it wouldn't have affected me directly and 13 years have gone by, but it sounds plausible.

The tower visit was interesting, even though nothing much was going on: it was a clear day with normal operations, and SAN has only one runway (it's the world's busiest single-runway airport), so most of the controllers were sitting around.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is asked for since ATCT facilities are Federal facilities with "restricted" access. Federal facilities that are not usually open to the public typically require proof of citizenship as an easy way to do a basic check. Although in most cases a passport will suffice for any non-US citizen.

Originally Posted by ROCAT
SFO is a boring tower in all honesty. ORD, JFK or DCA are fairly intresting to watch, smaller places that work air carriers, GA of all sizes and patten work are fun to watch.
Seeing the SFO controllers shoot the hole is pretty interesting though. =)

Last edited by VPsych; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Norway's ATC training has been contracted out to the University of North Dakota for 14 years plus.
Ah, that would explain the OSL-GFK non-stop on SAS!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by VPsych
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is asked for since ATCT facilities are Federal facilities with "restricted" access. Federal facilities that are not usually open to the public typically require proof of citizenship as an easy way to do a basic check. Although in most cases a passport will suffice for any non-US citizen...
I see you use the present tense throughout. I was describing an event that took place about thirteen years ago, pre-9/11. Was the policy the same then?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
I see you use the present tense throughout. I was describing an event that took place about thirteen years ago, pre-9/11. Was the policy the same then?
I'm afraid I don't know the exact answer since I only noticed the U.S. Citizenship visitor requirement after I worked for a Federal agency (post-9/11). If I recall correctly, the documentation I read for adding guests to the visitor list dated back to 2001. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a requirement added post-9/11.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In college I got to go to the CMI tower. The radar operator would periodically break off in mid-sentence talking to me to give instruction to traffic in the area.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:34 am

Just went up a week ago into the SFO tower. Found a phone number for the facility, called, and said I was a private pilot in the area. They were happy to show me around. Got to see an Air China flight get lost Will be touring ZLA (Los Angeles Center) in a few days, if all goes well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.