Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Delayed - then CANCELED!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

My flight from Wash Dulles to EWR on one of those small commuter jet planes, which I hate, was delayed and canceled. What an absolute nightmare. The flight is only 40 mins or so and I could have drove the darn trip. It was the final leg of my trip so I was stuck.

I get to the gate and it shows delayed 1 hour. Great. Then after 1 hr, delayed 2 hrs. Great. Finally we board and plane taxis. Something didn't seem right as we were taxing forever and went way out to the no mans land part of the runways. The pilot comes on the speaker and tells us that we are delayed again for 45 mins! After 1 hour goes by the pilot comes on the speaker again and we hear this bs "I don't know what they told you at the terminal, but we just got word from operations that this flight has been canceled, we are returning to the terminal".

The passengers on board almost rioted. They were yelling and pounding their fists on the ceiling.

Totally ridiculous and no communication from the airline.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
And? Yep it sucks and it happens all the time
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by danleo
My flight from Wash Dulles to EWR on one of those small commuter jet planes, which I hate, was delayed and canceled. What an absolute nightmare. The flight is only 40 mins or so and I could have drove the darn trip. It was the final leg of my trip so I was stuck.

I get to the gate and it shows delayed 1 hour. Great. Then after 1 hr, delayed 2 hrs. Great. Finally we board and plane taxis. Something didn't seem right as we were taxing forever and went way out to the no mans land part of the runways. The pilot comes on the speaker and tells us that we are delayed again for 45 mins! After 1 hour goes by the pilot comes on the speaker again and we hear this bs "I don't know what they told you at the terminal, but we just got word from operations that this flight has been canceled, we are returning to the terminal".

The passengers on board almost rioted. They were yelling and pounding their fists on the ceiling.

Totally ridiculous and no communication from the airline.
What's remarkable is how common this is. Seriously, a 3 hour delay followed by a cancellation? If you find that intolerable, you'd better take the train from now on . . .
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,

Major delays and cancellations are not at all unusual with UAEX. It's a good reason to avoid them when possible, but UA has turned over so many routes to UAEX that it's hard to do when booking UA.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k

You make it sound like it's the first time this has happened to you. if you're any sort of frequent flyer, you should feel fortunate that it hasn't happened before now!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Not fair to assume OP is a frequent flyer, and even less fair to give him a hard time or be dismissive about the reaction.

To be honest, this (delay, delay, delay, cancellation) does happen frequently on any airline. Happened to me on AA, US, and UA in the past year, and one of those was ORD-LHR! It's too bad, particularly when it disrupts your personal/business plans, but such is life and you have learn to roll with it. You can't blame the crew, so no use yelling at them. Same with the gate agents. They don't control whether or not the flight is allowed to take off.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
*shrug* Sounds like a pretty normal day for United Express.

I'm flying them tonight...last flight out of Denver (although possibly a different actual operator than your IAD-EWR flight). I always check hotel availability and know what my backup plan will be if they cancel.

I've had multiple UX flights in my life where I've rerouted myself to Hertz.

Not the most reliable bunch, and mainline UA really could care less how UX treats you. At least you got bit on a short flight where a rental car or a train is a feasible option.

For whatever reason (perhaps pure luck), my US Express and American Eagle experiences have been more fortunate.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

This should teach you to never fly UA from DC to NYC unless you absolutely have to. Either take the US or DL shuttles or take AA or B6 to JFK or better yet take the Acela.

At least with the shuttles they run every hour and with the Acela well it and the NE regional run constantly
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

Express flights (UA or otherwise) are the first ones to go as the cancelation effects less people. Try to avoid them
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:44 pm

I knew UA and EWR would be involved before I clicked on this.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The WAS-NYC microhauls are the first to be delayed and then the first to be cancelled. As nothing to do with UAX and everything to do with airspace and flow control. Either the IAD-PEK or the IAD-EWR goes. Guess which one?

And to be fair, getting to EWR is a heck of a lot easier service recovery than PEK !
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
if you would have flown you could have crashed and died in bad weather, so........would you rather risk people's lives or just deal with a cancel?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
This should teach you to never fly UA from DC to NYC unless you absolutely have to. Either take the US or DL shuttles or take AA or B6 to JFK or better yet take the Acela.

At least with the shuttles they run every hour and with the Acela well it and the NE regional run constantly
Exactly. The train. Take the train on this route.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by closetasfan
if you would have flown you could have crashed and died in bad weather, so........would you rather risk people's lives or just deal with a cancel?
I'm with you on this one. I hate people whining about a cancellation. What would you rather - a few hours delay or crashing due to unsafe conditions or aircraft.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

to those who are stating the OP might be a novice traveler, the outrage justifies people explaining that this happens all the time. [Off-topic and unduly personalized text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 3, 2014 at 9:19 am Reason: Per FT Rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.