Search

First Class Lounge Etiquette 101

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

Just follow this easy guide!

Step 1: Bring your screaming, tired child into the lounge.
Step 2: Sit right in the middle of the room.
Step 3: Ignore your screaming, tired child for AN HOUR.

Sorry, just had to vent. :-)

I know traveling with kids is hard, but still...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: DL GM
Did you say something to the child's parents and/or the flight crew while it was actually happening?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: QF
This is in the Lounge itself rather than an aircraft so there wouldn't be a flight crew involved. Regardless I would approach the parent and failing that, Lounge staff and failing that still asking for the manager.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
This is in the Lounge itself rather than an aircraft so there wouldn't be a flight crew involved. Regardless I would approach the parent and failing that, Lounge staff and failing that still asking for the manager.
Pedantism noted. My intent, as you obviously noted, was to suggest that the OP should have complained to the People In Charge of the lounge and/or the offending offspring. "Venting" or "ranting" in anonymous internet forums after the fact is pointless.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by WWGuy
Pedantism noted. My intent, as you obviously noted, was to suggest that the OP should have complained to the People In Charge of the lounge and/or the offending offspring. "Venting" or "ranting" in anonymous internet forums after the fact is pointless.
*shrug* I sympathise with his need to rant. If it makes his day a little better by getting it out of his system (virtual audience or not) then so be it. Our suggestions to complain to the folks in charge were constructive and if the OP did that next time perhaps his situation would be resolved. In that sense, I don't think it was too pointless whether we thought the solution was obvious or not. In either case, I wasn't trying to pick an argument with you so you have my apologies if I've offended.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's a few lounges that have family rooms, those tend to be the best. I have seen a parent with a kid refusing to cooperate ask to use a conference room. The lounge staff seemed to be more than okay with that solution.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Stupid parents and entitled kids. See. This too often. Airlines need to ask them to leave.

Staff should have handled this. Not club guests.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold

headphones
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
Just follow this easy guide!

Step 1: Bring your screaming, tired child into the lounge.
Step 2: Sit right in the middle of the room.
Step 3: Ignore your screaming, tired child for AN HOUR.

Sorry, just had to vent. :-)

I know traveling with kids is hard, but still...
Well.... what's wrong with steps 1 and 2? I've flown paid domestic first with my kid a few times and I'm sorry to break it, he's a paying customer just like everyone else.

As for step 3, I'm sorry, but at times there isn't much you can do. Did (s)he actually try to calm down the kid?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Well.... what's wrong with steps 1 and 2? I've flown paid domestic first with my kid a few times and I'm sorry to break it, he's a paying customer just like everyone else.

As for step 3, I'm sorry, but at times there isn't much you can do. Did (s)he actually try to calm down the kid?
The CoC include a clause that says you get to disrupt the enjoyment of every other passenger? I did not know that. Is that in the Entitlement Clause or the Social Unawareness Clause?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich

Um, the key to this is in the word "ignore".
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
... I'm sorry, but at times there isn't much you can do.
Yes, there is. You can show consideration for others by removing your child from the lounge, until s/he quiets down.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Yes, there is. You can show consideration for others by removing your child from the lounge, until s/he quiets down.

Ding ding ding. @:-)

I was taken into lounges when I was a toddler, but my parents always made it clear to me that if I made so much as a peep, they'd whisk me out of there.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by rbwpi
But but but...I've PAID! My darling little Reign-Beau Jesse can do whatever he wants, we can't stifle his creativity by setting boundaries now, can we. It takes a village...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:15 pm

If I was screaming, crying or running around being antisocial I'd be ejected from the lounge, F ticketed or not. While I don't have a problem with flying with kids in any cabin, if the child is not appropriately behaved then they simply should not be there lounge or aircraft.

Sure there is, leave mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.