Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Middle manager upgraded ahead of senior VP, told to give seat to superior.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle manager upgraded ahead of senior VP, told to give seat to superior.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
+1

If someone who worked for me got upgraded and I didn't it would never even occur to me to expect them to give it up for me. And if they did I would insist they keep their seat.

The OP's middle manager sounds like a real cow, quietly reminding the OP that, in the event an upgrade happens it goes to the boss?! Give me a break!
+1 -

With an emphasis on "middle" and not on "manager".
Old May 17, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 -

With an emphasis on "middle" and not on "manager".
^^ Reminds me of the fact that those who are used to money rarely flaunt it, those who come into money make sure everyone knows about it. All to do with upbringing, manners and the knowledge of doing the "right" thing.
Old May 17, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
A good "boss" would have thanked OP profusely and insisted that OP keep the UG. But, only OP can make the judgment as to whether the job is more important than the idiots for whom he works.
That is my opinion too ^. A huge chunk of my MQMs for status come from my TATLs which are my personal expense.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

+1

If someone who worked for me got upgraded and I didn't it would never even occur to me to expect them to give it up for me. And if they did I would insist they keep their seat.

The OP's middle manager sounds like a real cow, quietly reminding the OP that, in the event an upgrade happens it goes to the boss?! Give me a break!
It's possible the middle manager might also be protecting OP if the senior is a real piece of work who might take it out on the OP. The middle manager may know the senior's modus operandi.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
My boss, and even my CEO would not have expected this.

In fact they would think I was trying to kiss assss if I did.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by zcat18
It is an unwritten rule. I do find this type of corporate political activity a bit silly and anachronistic, but I generally like the company I work for and the people I work with/for.
I've worked for a company in the past where this would have been the procedure, but that doesn't mean I find it any less ridiculous.

I'm surprised she accepted your offer. I'd be embarrassed if I were her.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Screw that ... there is a simple solution; Take your name off the upgrade list. The upper management can !@#$% fend for themselves.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Middle manager ahead of senior VP list told to give seat to superior

This made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL,EK
My thoughts exactly.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Middle manager ahead of senior VP list told to give seat to superior

Wow! Your status and upgrades whether earned by biz travel or personal travel or credit cards is yours - I think it was wrong for you to be told to give it up - this had nothing to do with the company and executive privilege otherwise the executive would be on a paid first ticket. If you said no would you have been reported to HR for insubordination? Me thinks no as this isn't an HR or travel policy but about egos. This seems to be about your boss getting points
I'm surprised that all three reporting lines flew together as it is a risk mgmt issue at my firm
You are better than me, I would have said no
Old May 17, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Now what would have happened if the OP simply disappeared from the gate area until the last minute, AFTER the capo del tutti capi had already boarded?
Old May 17, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Independent
Well, I can't say I have any experience in this situation as I am not high enough a manager to have real experience as a VP, and I have never traveled as a group for work.

However, from what management experience and skills I have had so far, the last thing I would do as a VP is take a junior's upgrade, and especially if they earned it because they were doing more actual legwork flying. Heck, I would be more likely to give up my upgrade to a more junior worker as an appreciation factor. Heck, I HAVE used miles to upgrade a couple of employees that I have had to send for training simply as appreciation of them giving up their free time (my employees dont work 24 hours at home) to attend.

maybe that is why I am not a VP, but if that's the case, then I am glad I am not.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zcat18
It is an unwritten rule. I do find this type of corporate political activity a bit silly and anachronistic, but I generally like the company I work for and the people I work with/for.
It's not silly, and it's not anachronistic. It's just plain wrong. That sort of sense of entitlement would be wrong in any era.

Expecting to get your upgrade makes your VP a total sleazebag. Ordering you to give it up makes your manager a toady.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP G
+1

I so agree with you. No way, I would ever take someone's upgrade....
Old May 18, 2014, 6:33 am

OP:

As a public service, please post the ticker symbol of the company involved, so I (and others) can short their stock. Bad management almost always leads to bad results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.