Wiki Posts
Search

How do bugs get in the windowsill?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat

This unlucky fellow was my traveling companion this morning on a United Express CRJ-700 (Seat 1A).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../photo%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../photo%202.jpg
Not the first time I have seen bugs in the windowsill, but this one was perched up looking right at me the entire flight. A bee, I think. Based on its discoloration this bee appears to have logged many miles on United.
Anyone know how they get in there between the inner and outer windows?

Last edited by mikelcf; Apr 26, 2014 at 11:16 pm
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have seen bugs in there too. The only way I can think of them getting in would be during servicing if a mechanic takes off the inner plastic window, bug flies in and hides, then plastic window gets reinstalled.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:35 am

That's one way to become a frequent flier
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
The bug will tell you under the condition you tell it how to get the hell out again
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on at least some planes, there is a small hole in the outer pane.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I think the bottom of the covering panel inside the aircraft is not sealed.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

The windows do not form a perfect seal. The pressure for a seal required at 35000 feet is different than at ground.

In very very very cold temperatures, it's possible for deicing fluid to enter a plane window. I could see that a bug could get in in certain conditions.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:25 pm

Notice carefully and you will see a small hole at the bottom of the outer window, although it's really small for an insect.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
The windows do not form a perfect seal. The pressure for a seal required at 35000 feet is different than at ground.

In very very very cold temperatures, it's possible for deicing fluid to enter a plane window. I could see that a bug could get in in certain conditions.
Originally Posted by leonidas
Notice carefully and you will see a small hole at the bottom of the outer window, although it's really small for an insect.
Ok, before we go too far down the wrong track... ... the hole that you both are referring to is on the inside pane of the window itself, and is for both pressurization and moisture control. You are seeing it, and the bug, through what is known as the window 'reveal' that is attached to the sidewall panel of the interior.

If the interior panels are removed or loosened there is the chance that a bug can get in the window area with the possibility of being missed during the re-installation.

A note about cabin windows (this is dated from my days of working DHC-8s, but should still be valid). The windows basically are 2 panes in a rubber seal that is held against the inside of the skin with a small lip in the cutout around the window. As long as the window assembly was correctly installed fluids should not get past the seal, and if some does, it shouldn't get to the inside of the window itself. Any moisture in the window itself should only be from condensation (cabin humidity and inside/outside temperature).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305

Originally Posted by CLTmech
As long as the window assembly was correctly installed fluids should not get past the seal, and if some does, it shouldn't get to the inside of the window itself. Any moisture in the window itself should only be from condensation (cabin humidity and inside/outside temperature).

On the tarmac one morning, in -35 degree conditions, a stream of orange deicing fluid began dripping from the window onto the window seat passenger in my row. The fluid scared the passenger, and the fact that fluid could get into the plane scared everybody else within about 3 rows of him.

Perhaps this is a mystery that could be solved in another forum.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You may never know that this is how insect borne diseases can spread throughout the world...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:15 pm

Could it also be some bored technicians' cruel jokes to the entomophobic?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: QFWP; HH Diamond
I want to know more about the one outside?!?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.