Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Makes waiting for Flights Comfortable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

I know a lot of us are predominantly concerned with the comfort of the flight itself. But the ability to nap or relax at your loading gate can make or break a trip. What do you wish terminal gates had to enhance your waiting experience? As an aspiring frequent flyer, I'd love to hear from others how to handle terminal gates with style.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: EK Gold

One word: lounge
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta, United
A GA with a whip to keep the gate lice back and in their seats until it is their time to board.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rebr
one word: Lounge
ab-so-lute-ly +1 ^
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TCKkid
I know a lot of us are predominantly concerned with the comfort of the flight itself. But the ability to nap or relax at your loading gate can make or break a trip. What do you wish terminal gates had to enhance your waiting experience? As an aspiring frequent flyer, I'd love to hear from others how to handle terminal gates with style.
A "quiet-zone;" Surprisingly, it's something for which I can compliment Amtrak (the US train system).

A produce store. It would be a good way to keep healthy during the flight, and if it's international (save for Schengen countries), a good way for the countries where you're arriving to earn auxiliary revenue...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Short of a lounge, more comfortable chairs...if you are only waiting a few minutes, any chair is probably OK, but 2 hours (say) that is different.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:59 pm

I was reminded yet again this week how poor the lounge experience is in the US (crappy prepackaged processed food, showers rare, etc)

I'll happily wait in a lounge at most non-US airports, but at US airports often the lounge is little better than the gate area. Usually, I'll find a somewhat empty gate near my actual gate.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
Short of a lounge, more comfortable chairs...if you are only waiting a few minutes, any chair is probably OK, but 2 hours (say) that is different.
AMS has some great chairs - agreed ^
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:10 pm

Booze
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by exbayern
I was reminded yet again this week how poor the lounge experience is in the US (crappy prepackaged processed food, showers rare, etc)

I'll happily wait in a lounge at most non-US airports, but at US airports often the lounge is little better than the gate area. Usually, I'll find a somewhat empty gate near my actual gate.
Sometimes, the lounge is better than the airport, but that doesn't necessarily mean the lounge is good.

Then there's the flip side. I thought MUC was definitely better than the LH *G lounges I visited. The food selection was unimpressive, but that's why those supermarkets in the pre-security areas of the airport are key.
*G lounges in SIN are also no great shakes, but at least it's SIN.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:31 pm

More power outlets.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Hot women and booze
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: Independent
The airport itself or the gate? AS for the gate, enough seating, with enough room between the seat to accommodate everyone's rolling luggage. And decent announcement speakers.

Lounges are nice at the airport, but there should be a non-affiliated one for those who may not be a FF on the hub airlines. But for me what I really like is a DECENT SELECTION of food places - not just all fast food and bars, or all fancy, or all burgers.

Oh, and good clear signage!!!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sometimes, the lounge is better than the airport, but that doesn't necessarily mean the lounge is good.

Then there's the flip side. I thought MUC was definitely better than the LH *G lounges I visited. The food selection was unimpressive, but that's why those supermarkets in the pre-security areas of the airport are key.
*G lounges in SIN are also no great shakes, but at least it's SIN.
And while I usually do some last minute shopping at Edeka or Müller, and I often eat at Oliva, I am perfectly happy with the food at MUC LH lounge - it's pretty much food I would eat myself anywhere if I could. Boiled eggs, rye bread, Obatzda, tomato soup - that's heavenly to me. Then there is the harsh reality of UA lounges in the US with their prepackaged processed food. (or the AA lounges where one has to pay for fresh food and for sparkling water!)

While the TK lounge in IST may be one of the best in Europe, I'll gladly take a LH lounge any day over any lounge I've ever tried in the US.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
LOL!!

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
A GA with a whip to keep the gate lice back and in their seats until it is their time to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.