Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Nonstop IAH-NRT 1st with a stop or biz direct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Hi, group, I have a choice of flying from Houston to Narita one of two ways. I can fly direct for about 14 hours nonstop but only in business class on a 777, two class cabin. Or I can fly to Houston to San Francisco or Chicago, praying for good weather and no connection delays, and fly from either of those cities to Narita in first class rather than business. It will add couple of hours but the experience will be so much more comfortable first vs business, I am assuming.

This is a rather spontaneous (standby travel) trip and I am considering going in less than 2 weeks, to see Tokyo briefly (too too too for me) then Kyoto. First time in Japan.

I far prefer long nonstop flights for many reasons: less chance of delay, no chance of missed connection and I really like enough hours to eat, drink, read and sleep when I'm flying in business or first.

Because I'm leaving soon, and the weather has been brutal through so much of the area from Chicago to New England, I'm afraid to connect in Chicago. Probably will do SFO NRT. Not connecting EWR because it's biz only, so it's much better to go straight IAH NRT.

I have flown to Thailand a few times and Bali once. Miserably long in coach most of those flights. I really want to be very comfortable on the flight.

Which routing would you choose? Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by lanago2
Hi, group, I have a choice of flying from Houston to Narita one of two ways. I can fly direct for about 14 hours nonstop but only in business class on a 777, two class cabin. Or I can fly to Houston to San Francisco or Chicago, praying for good weather and no connection delays, and fly from either of those cities to Narita in first class rather than business. It will add couple of hours but the experience will be so much more comfortable first vs business, I am assuming.

This is a rather spontaneous (standby travel) trip and I am considering going in less than 2 weeks, to see Tokyo briefly (too too too for me) then Kyoto. First time in Japan.

I far prefer long nonstop flights for many reasons: less chance of delay, no chance of missed connection and I really like enough hours to eat, drink, read and sleep when I'm flying in business or first.

Because I'm leaving soon, and the weather has been brutal through so much of the area from Chicago to New England, I'm afraid to connect in Chicago. Probably will do SFO NRT. Not connecting EWR because it's biz only, so it's much better to go straight IAH NRT.

I have flown to Thailand a few times and Bali once. Miserably long in coach most of those flights. I really want to be very comfortable on the flight.

Which routing would you choose? Thanks for your input.
I'd fly nonstop or fly EK F and connect in DXB.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by kkjay77
I'd fly nonstop or fly EK F and connect in DXB.
I suspect that isn't an option for the OP, but it would be fun. And only 98% more miles than non-stop.

I am guessing the OP is looking at United. Not quite sure what kind of ticket he has, but if there are concerns about not being put on the next flights, etc. than the non-stop is probably the best bet. UA F isn't known for its service, but the seat is still much better than UA J. But UA J is still miles above any Y.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd fly First with a stop. With 2 take off and landings you'll really be getting your monies worth!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:05 am

first with stop in SFO to avoid weather issues. SFO-NRT is still long enough to enjoy the onboard experience.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by glynot
first with stop in SFO to avoid weather issues. SFO-NRT is still long enough to enjoy the onboard experience.
But isn't IAH-SFO too long to be stuck in domestic F?
Anyway, if OP is doing SFO-NRT, I'd make sure I'm on NH metal.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold

Direct assuming we are talking UA metal in all cases.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

I'd just take the nonstop. UA F is not that much better than UA J. Just a slightly bigger seat, bigger amenity kit, and Global First Lounge access. Oh, and UA F comes with a soup course.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:56 am

what airlines are you considering? that makes a big difference
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Which airlines? If the F possibility is UA, just take the pmCO 777 from IAH direct. If it's NH, I'd do the one stop.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:03 pm

OP must be considering UA J from IAH-NRT because NH doesn't fly from IAH.

NH and UA both fly SFO-NRT and ORD-NRT.

I'd vote you do IAH-SFO-NRT in F to avoid encountering weather problems.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I'd probably take F with a stop if given the choice. However, I'd like to challenge the notion that there is anything wrong with United's J seat. Granted, I'm no expert, but my humble opinion is that the UA J hard product is a pretty competitive one and generally gets an undeserved bad rap because it's United.

To the OP: Don't be afraid of UA J, as it is not a bad seat. All things being equal, though, why not give yourself access to the Global First Lounge and the more private, quiet F cabin? I wouldn't pay much more for UA F than J, but if cost isn't an issue, go with F.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
One thing catches my eye in the OP's post - standby travel. If that's the case, I would opt for whichever option has the best chance of you actually getting on the plane.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
One thing catches my eye in the OP's post - standby travel. If that's the case, I would opt for whichever option has the best chance of you actually getting on the plane.
Yeah that confused me as well. Flying standby I'm curious how first or business is even a guarantee?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Oops. Sorry I didn't provide enough info.

For this flight (all flights in 2014) I can ONLY fly United metal, no partners. I only fly standby. There's a risk of not getting first class seat from Houston to San Francisco or Houston to Chicago if there are enough upgradable revenue passengers which there often are on domestic lights. So the domestic IAH SFO or IAH ORD may be economy. Until the last moment before domestic boarding, I never know.

Reading your responses and thinking about the chances of flying coach from Houston, and knowing that I am not a morning person and I have to get up before sunrise (misery for me) to get to the airport to start this journey, it's making more sense to "book" (standby) a business seat straight direct nonstop Houston to Narita. If I do that, I will be 100% certain of a business seat.

I only will try for a flight where I see plenty of open business or first seats. I tried on two international flights when the seats were too tight and I didn't make it, so I don't do

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by lanago2; Feb 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.