Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2014 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the poll have been published and are here: Hotel Pet Peeves: Guests Shut the Door on Wi-Fi, Outlet Shortages

After reading the results, take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Please keep those peeves coming… and don't forget to take the FBT/FlyerTalk poll:

Poll: What are Your Biggest Hotel Pet Peeves?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Breakfast areas that are not air conditioned.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
"Peeves" can sound a bit negative. A lot of these points are "things we'd like to see". Positive improvements.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
"Peeves" can sound a bit negative. A lot of these points are "things we'd like to see". Positive improvements.
You are right - but the poll is about things that are negative, such as expensive and/or slow Internet, hard-to-reach electrical outlets, cigarette smoke, noise that disturbs your rest, and insufficient water pressure or temperature.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:36 am

Actually, in the case of electrical outlets, not only should they be easier to reach, but should be spaced so as to allow for international adaptors etc.

E.g - UK cords tend to run perpendicular to the plug prongs but Australian/European/American often run in line with the plug prongs. There are variations within that generalisation of course.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
Actually, in the case of electrical outlets, not only should they be easier to reach, but should be spaced so as to allow for international adaptors etc.

E.g - UK cords tend to run perpendicular to the plug prongs but Australian/European/American often run in line with the plug prongs. There are variations within that generalisation of course.
Related to that, I was recently in a brand new hotel in Vienna which had lots of outlets - but the outlets at the desk were literally in the desk via a small cover. The cutout did not allow enough room for me to plug a standard European MacBook power cord in (admittedly, it's bulkier than most plugs) but it also had trouble with a standard Blackberry-style transformer as well.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'm getting tired of "designer" bathroom fixtures. It took me over a minute to figure out how to get the shower on hot , and the fancy pedestal sink doesn't have any room for my stuff without fear of it getting knocked on the floor. I'm a guy, and that's really got to tick off the ladies out there.

Originally Posted by abls87
Extra fees for everything, i.e. parking (Marriott is the worst.
I can usually get those waived as a Plat, or at least use it as my welcome amenity.

Originally Posted by Kaiaaa
I filled out the survey again this year, and the options are too limited. Did nobody look through last year's Flyertalk thread to find that people's top actual pet peeves are NOT necessarily those listed in the survey?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
No bathroom exhaust fan.
Televisions which change channels at the speed of molasses.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just thought of a peeve. It's not my top one but it bugged me at the last 'resort' hotel I stayed at.

They had golf carts to zip you around in. All fun and dandy, however, when they put them in to reverse at midnight or 5 am I could hear it from my room. So annoying to be woken up by what sounds like a truck reversing.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:45 am

So annoying to be woken up by what sounds like a truck reversing.
That and all those champagne corks popping. It got so bad I had to go and sleep in my private jet.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:48 am

The cutout did not allow enough room for me to plug a standard European MacBook power cord in (admittedly, it's bulkier than most plugs) but it also had trouble with a standard Blackberry-style transformer as well.
That's why I usually take an extension cord with me with a slim plug on the end. More bulk that I shouldn't have to carry, but hey.

Main culprits: older properties with sockets ("outlets" in the US?) too close to the floor, too close together or hidden behind furniture.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Here are my top few hotel frustrations:

1. Insufficient power outlets near the bed. Any hotel built or renovated within the past 15 years should have caught on to the fact that the modern traveler has computers, cell phone, etc. that need charging.

2. Fitted sheets that don't fit. Probably 50% of the time I find that my bed has a fitted sheet that either doesn't fit (usually because it's a queen sheet stretched onto a king bed) or a too-small flat sheet barely tucked under the edges of the mattress.

3. Flaky wifi.

4. Weak room lighting. Usually I'm fine with dim lighting because I use the room primarily to wind down and sleep, but on occasion I need to get to some real work done. Give me lamps more powerful than night lights.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nfh
Another problem, albeit decreasingly common, is shower heads that are permanently fixed to the wall rather than the more common hand-held design. This is a particular problem in the United States, less so in Europe. How is one supposed to wash one armpits and more intimate areas properly with this ridiculous design? I also wonder how the housekeeping staff can properly wash a shower cubicle or bath when the shower head is permanently fixed to the wall. Shower curtains, as opposed to shower screens, are also very irritating.
I disagree with this! I hate when they only have hand held shower heads where you cannot fix it to the wall (more commonly found in Europe - but never in the US). How can one wash with a shower head in their hand?!

As for pet peeves (in order of annoyance):
1- Calling rooms to ask if we want house cleaning when our DND sign is on the door past 2pm. DND means just that. If I wanted cleaning, I'd remove it.
2- Lack of open outlets near bed and work station. Why must I unplug every lamp just to charge my stuff!
3- Limit to # of wifi connections and slow wifi. Everyone has 3+ these days, stop the limits.
4- Dim bathroom lighting near mirror. How are we expected to see when shaving and such?
5- Having to sign for breakfast when its free (e.g., Starwood Platinum). Stop bothering me with your internal accounting procedures.
6- Absurd movie prices via in-room entertainment system. $18USD for a movie? Are you %&^%*^* kidding me?!?
7- Mini bars that are full to the brim - and have no space for us to place something in them. We don't want your $40 bottle of Jack Daniels. We want a little space to put something in the fridge.
8- Parking rates sticker shock when showing up at the hotel (these prices should be prominently displayed at booking).
9- Mini ironing boards. C'mon, we're all tall enough & old enough to use the big boy board.
10- No full length mirror. I'd like to see it all please (I may be the only one but I'm the one who counts).

Rant over
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jwhite.ft
Televisions which change channels at the speed of molasses.
Hadn't thought of it, but good one!! It's like the TV is running calculations just to get to the next channel. For goodness sakes, let's just move it along!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Weird smells in the room. Thin walls and low noise isolation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.