Wiki Posts
Search

"Wheels up in 30"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Wheels up in 30"

How many times have we heard that line on Criminal Minds?

OK - I can possibly live with the idea that Penelope Garcia has the fastest internet connection known to Man, and that the amount of (machine-readable) records on everybody is out there and accessible, but I always wonder about the airplane connection.

They are located at Quantico, VA. I guess there's an airstrip located somewhere nearby, if for Marine aviation if nothing else, but is it reasonable to prep a Gulfstream, file flight plans, and get everybody to the strip in such a short period of time?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:15 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps the jet and USAF crew are at their beck and call 24/7.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by BigLar
How many times have we heard that line on Criminal Minds?

OK - I can possibly live with the idea that Penelope Garcia has the fastest internet connection known to Man, and that the amount of (machine-readable) records on everybody is out there and accessible, but I always wonder about the airplane connection.

They are located at Quantico, VA. I guess there's an airstrip located somewhere nearby, if for Marine aviation if nothing else, but is it reasonable to prep a Gulfstream, file flight plans, and get everybody to the strip in such a short period of time?
Haven't seen the show, but it happens fairly often in the Air Ambulance world. Especially if the plane is already fueled. The pilots can often file flight plans from their I pads while enroute to the airport. A thorough pre-flight and clearance then it's off we go. One hour is a much more common and reasonable dispatch time, but I have seen 30 minutes done.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
beck and call
Wow... really?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
If they have an aircraft on standby 24/7/365 and it's at Fort Belvoir and they take a helicopter from Quantico then it is very doable, maybe even without the helicopter.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:13 am

Absolutely doable.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Wow... really?
It's 100% fiction, why not!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Wow... really?
In a fictional world, with fictional characters, and fictional storylines, I believe this assumption is entirely fictionally possible.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:47 am

There's Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico (home of Marine One). Don't know if the strip there is long enough for the planes they show them flying or not, and it's predominantly a heli base I think.

Of course, I'm not overly convinced that the FBI has a crack team of profilers that flies out via private jet to everything like on the show . My guess is if they have teams that do this that they're far more likely to fly commercial, there's very little that is on the show that commercial schedules would really be a problem for.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by piper28
There's Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico (home of Marine One). Don't know if the strip there is long enough for the planes they show them flying or not, and it's predominantly a heli base I think.

Of course, I'm not overly convinced that the FBI has a crack team of profilers that flies out via private jet to everything like on the show . My guess is if they have teams that do this that they're far more likely to fly commercial, there's very little that is on the show that commercial schedules would really be a problem for.
I think the rationale is they need to start work on the case that very minute - as the later it gets, the less likely they are to save the person etc. I wouldn't say it's particularly feasible to have a group discussion about the investigation while on a commercial plane, nor is it very likely that there would be a commercial flight leaving within the hour to the place they want to go.

Though saying all that, I do agree with you that I find it pretty unlikely this would happen in real life!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by piper28
There's Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico (home of Marine One). Don't know if the strip there is long enough for the planes they show them flying or not, and it's predominantly a heli base I think. ...
Marine One (the Presidential helicopters) are actually based at the former Anacostia Naval Air Station in Washington (now part of Joint Base Anacostia/Bolling)

per landings.com the runway at KNYG (MCAF Quantico) is 4250 ft which is plenty long enough for a C-130 or a fairly lightly loaded bizjet
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Don't watch this show, but don't even get me started on all the Law & Orders (and Law & Order type shows) where the criminal is on trial a couple of weeks after being arrested.

In other words, it's fiction......
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrl22
Marine One (the Presidential helicopters) are actually based at the former Anacostia Naval Air Station in Washington (now part of Joint Base Anacostia/Bolling)
I should know better than to pay attention to wikipedia for my sources . Although they're a little vague, even when looking up the Anacostia base.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Perhaps the jet and USAF crew are at their beck and call 24/7.
Of course the FBI have planes, So does ICE. DEA, Border Patrol. They have their own pilots. I don't know if Quantico has an airstrip if not they could go to Reagan where the planes are housed if not at Quantico. If they needed to go to GBD how many flights a day there one I think. I just wonder if they would send a team of three or four. Of course if they found the suspect they would take all the glory because they are media hogs.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:13 am

Come on

Wow... really?
Pretty sure that even in a fictional world, it's still not spelled "beck and call". It amazes me that people even critized the "Wow...really?" post and didn't notice the horrendous butchering of the English language that inspired it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.