Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Ideas: July 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to start planning our honeymoon which will take place middle/end of July 2015. Want to have everything ready to book once award space is released later this year.

Here are my thoughts so far - appreciate any ideas, comments or advice.

Would like to base the location/plans on miles/points as much as possible to cut down on costs. We definitely want a relaxing trip with lots of time for beaches/pools/etc., but also would like to do some exploring and get immersed in the culture (maybe 60% relaxing, 40% exploring). Not looking for crazy nightlife or partying, and nothing too adventerous (mild hiking, snorkeling, etc are fine).

Length: 7-10 days
Departing: JFK/LGA/EWR/etc
Class: Business or First

Miles/points as of now (numbers in parentheses represent my fiances balances)

AA/USAir - 200k (+200)
United - 217k
Hilton - 450k (+100)
Marriott - 50k
Starwood - 40k
Hyatt - 24k
Club Carlson - 67k
Ultimate Rewards - 200k

So it would be nice to do something with flights on oneworld as I don't think I'll have enough to do at least business class with 217k United miles, without transferring UR points. That leaves the UR points for Marriott if needed, or use Hilton (preference) to get rid of them.

So far, a couple of ideas:

1. Spain: Fly into Madrid, stay 1-2 days, head south by car or train/bus to Seville, 2 days, then further south to coast (not sure where) and stay at a nice resort type area the rest of the time. Also would consider a day trip to Morocco by ferry.

2. Italy: Not sure on itinerary yet, but I've been to Rome and she has never been to Italy (and is Italian so would be nice for her to go). Don't want to do Rome on this trip, but maybe Florence and Amalfi Coast?

3. Greece: Fly into Athens, spend a day or two, head to either Santorini (not sure if possible with mainly points) and stay around there for the remainder of trip, or from Athens to somewhere like Kos and base there with some island hopping and a couple days in Bodrum.

4. Southern France: not sure on itinerary, but maybe combine with Italy - fly into Nice and head to Italian Riviera area.

Anything Asia related will be too far I think for the amount of time we have (<10 days), and Caribbean wise, I feel like I'd rather go somewhere a bit more special for our honeymoon. It's rare that I can take 7-10 days off work, so I'd rather go somewhere I might not get to do again anytime soon.

I don't mind spending money on hotels for 1-2 nights on way to somewhere else, but any resort type area I'd rather stay at a chain and use points. Looking for something really nice, great views, lots of accomodations (large pool(s), activities, food, etc.) for the resort/beach part of the trip.

Food wise, would also like to go places where food is great but not super expensive - no interest in eating at Michelen stared restaurants for every meal.

That's it for now - appreciate any suggestions/advice, and welcome any questions to help narrow it down more.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:38 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

Oneworld to Europe largely involves the fuel surcharges which can be tough. We did Barcelona and then a med cruise which is a great way to honeymoon but a crap way to see Europe. If you goto barça i would recommend the W. There is a great tapas bar called cerveceria caralana which for my dollar is as good as good as it gets. There is a direct flight on AA out of JFK and may even be their new biz product by the time you go.

If you do Europe I have found the beaches of France and Spain more enjoyable than those of italy though I have hardly seen them all. I remember Spain had a lot of Marriott vacation resorts which may be handy but in France I find accommodations outside of Accor and some starwood brands harder to get outside the big cities.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

park hyatt milan and paris and new hyatts in south of france
waldorf rome and trianon palace versailles outside paris
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=bdohmen;22190168]Oneworld to Europe largely involves the fuel surcharges which can be tough. QUOTE]

Good point - definitely not looking to pay $500+ per ticket in charges. Maybe I could get a route on *A business ~220k? I looked quickly on United's website for this July, and there were some partner awards for 55k each way in business with minimal fees. Assuming this is before the award chart devaluation - not sure what it's going up to for this route.

But figuring I can add additonal UR points in the next year, I could supplement by United balance by ~100k if needed. Guess it all depends on hotels and what will be needed.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:41 am

For Honeymoon I would pick Seychelles or French Polynesia, though I think for Seychelles Sept would be preffered, cause of the winds.

This is only my oppinion, but you are trying to see a lots of places in a very limited time, especially on your Honeymoon. Also for renting a car in Europe, unless you rent a luxury you will get a crap car and you will be ripped off by the rental agency, just make sure that you are covered.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j-rad
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Oneworld to Europe largely involves the fuel surcharges which can be tough.
Good point - definitely not looking to pay $500+ per ticket in charges. Maybe I could get a route on *A business ~220k? I looked quickly on United's website for this July, and there were some partner awards for 55k each way in business with minimal fees. Assuming this is before the award chart devaluation - not sure what it's going up to for this route.

But figuring I can add additonal UR points in the next year, I could supplement by United balance by ~100k if needed. Guess it all depends on hotels and what will be needed.
Can I book tickets for this July with US Air miles before the United devaluation, then change the ticket to July 2015 once award space opens? Or will they re-price the ticket?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
Not to be a jerk but. You have 2 million points. you can go wherever you want

IMHO I'd never go to Europe to the beach or hang out by some pool, when I have Hawaii, Cancun, and Caribbean closer to home, but to each its own.

I'd go to Malaga in Costa del Sol, Spain 3days
2 days to explore Morroco
4 to days Sorrento Italy and relax.

that's you're 10 days right there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.