Wiki Posts
Search

BREAKING 11/1/13: Shooting at LAX Terminal 3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you really suggesting that FT has the complete summary of everything that was reported on this matter? It doesn't.
No, I am suggesting that you will not see any reports about anti-TSA material in the suspect's possession prior to 11:10 am PDT on the morning of the incident. You will, however, see reports claiming he was a former TSA agent prior to that time.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it interesting how little interest the media -- and everyone else -- seems to have in this story 3 days later. Just another crazy guy with a gun, so we'll all just move on.

I suppose that's better than the alternative: like making airport entrances supermax facilities. On the other hand, perhaps we should be having a national discussion about mental illness and guns. I guess that's a hard discussion to have, so we'll all just ignore it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Need
When we were at LAX on Saturday, it looks like business as usual. So hopefully your brother's flight would be on time. We were there to pick up someone but her flight were diverted to Canada! So we hang around El Segundo for 6 extra hours waiting for her to arrive.
My brother's flight was postponed, and then rescheduled for today. A backlog because of the shooting, I was told. But should arrive 5 PM MST. I guess the highway was completely blocked off following the incident, and my brother wasn't able to get to the LAX airport that day.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6MM, UA 1K GS 1.6MM
Managment of Logistics Following Incident

At some point I hope there is an investigation into the logistics after the incident was resolved. I was detained in Tom Bradley baggage claim until 3:30. Then after being released from baggage claim we were held in the arrival area. Finally when we were released from the terminal there were no transportation options. Finally after 2 hours from being released outside did the car rental busses and taxis begin running. Why were they not able to think about this in the 5 hours we were held from the time of the shooting. As far as I understand Century Blvd and Sepulveda were closed until around 8:00 p.m. Was this really required to preserve the crime scene inside T3. Seems to me that LAX does not have very good plans for management of major incidents.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Flight delayed 2 and half hours tonite from LAX. My brother, his wife and 4 kids are back safe and sound. My parents had to use two vehicles to pick their family up as they pack so many bags, and they brought 4 heavy duty Britax type car seats.

I would say this was not the typical LAX trip for my brother's family. Hopefully, LAX is back to normal for a long time.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by shnewton1
Was this really required to preserve the crime scene inside T3. Seems to me that LAX does not have very good plans for management of major incidents.
The bigger the show the bigger the budgets next year and the more TV time everyone can get. Seriously.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
No, I am suggesting that you will not see any reports about anti-TSA material in the suspect's possession prior to 11:10 am PDT on the morning of the incident. You will, however, see reports claiming he was a former TSA agent prior to that time.
I expect that law enforcement would pretty quickly consider whether or not the killer was a former or current TSA employee when the targets were TSA employees. "Going postal" considerations are rather routine approaches for law enforcement lines of investigation -- especially as he's neither "brown" nor "muslim".

I am not so sure about the accuracy of your first sentence above, which then may place into doubt the utility of your second sentence.

Do you consider a reported speculation about possible employment history to be the same as a reported claim that leaves no room for doubt about the employment history? Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if some media outlet took someone or some other media outlet's reported speculative claim and converted it into some other kind of claim that misrepresented his employment history. But that doesn't mean there weren't reports before that about him possessing an anti-TSA and anti-Napolitano rant.

Even if this were only about media reports -- and not intra-government reports as well -- I doubt that even the full media reporting on the attack and the timeline is fully known by anyone at this point.

How long was it between (a) the time when this terrorist was identified by name and (b) the time when the media named him and had mistakenly associated him with a TSA employment history? Between the two, hadn't his possessions at the airport already been searched to some extent and his "anti-government" rant discovered?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I expect that law enforcement would pretty quickly consider whether or not the killer was a former or current TSA employee when the targets were TSA employees. "Going postal" considerations are rather routine approaches for law enforcement lines of investigation -- especially as he's neither "brown" nor "muslim".

I am not so sure about the accuracy of your first sentence above, which then may place into doubt the utility of your second sentence.

Do you consider a reported speculation about possible employment history to be the same as a reported claim that leaves no room for doubt about the employment history? Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if some media outlet took someone or some other media outlet's reported speculative claim and converted it into some other kind of claim that misrepresented his employment history. But that doesn't mean there weren't reports before that about him possessing an anti-TSA and anti-Napolitano rant.

Even if this were only about media reports -- and not intra-government reports as well -- I doubt that even the full media reporting on the attack and the timeline is fully known by anyone at this point.

How long was it between (a) the time when this terrorist was identified by name and (b) the time when the media named him and had mistakenly associated him with a TSA employment history? Between the two, hadn't his possessions at the airport already been searched to some extent and his "anti-government" rant discovered?
Yes, well, see if you can find any reports about anti-TSA material in the suspect's possession prior to 11:10 am PDT on the morning of the incident. You won't find any.

I don't claim to know the timing of other things you mention. I'm comparing two things: the timing of reports that this was a former TSA agent, and reports about anti-government propaganda in the suspect's possession. The former preceded the latter by several hours.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Had lunch with my brother today and it was a schmaul (is that a word?), to say the least. Twice he had to turn back on the day of his return flight at LAX when the incident occured, and his return leg yesterday was delayed. Won't affect his trips going forward. Condolences to the TSA agent who was just doing his job.

Just glad everyone is back safe and sound.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, National Executive, SPG Platinum
I'm surprised that there are still delays; I flew out of Terminal 7 on Sunday with no issue. Is it just terminal 3 that's still impacted?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sorthum
I'm surprised that there are still delays; I flew out of Terminal 7 on Sunday with no issue. Is it just terminal 3 that's still impacted?
My brother flew out of Terminal 2. He rebooked for a flight 3 days later because the flights were full coming back to YYC.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Family Of TSA Agent Gunned Down At LAX Files $25M Suit

The family of Gerardo Hernandez, the TSA agent who was shot and killed at LAX, have filed a $25M lawsuit against the airport, the city of Los Angeles, LAPD, LAFD, other agencies, and L.A County. The suit alleges that medical care was delayed due to security lapses and that that directly contributed to Hernandez' suffering and death.

Los Angeles employees “failed in carrying out their duties, creating a very dangerous lapse in security which was a factor causing Mr. Hernandez to be fatally shot,” said Michael Alder, the attorney for the officer’s family. “Even more horrific is that the city’s employees delayed medical care to Mr. Hernandez.”
http://ktla.com/2014/10/08/family-of...or-25-million/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...iles-25m-suit/
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old thread but our courts move like glaciers. The LAX shooter gets life in prison. Should have been a death sentence in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.