Wiki Posts
Search

Humanity obsessed with "The Beach"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Humanity obsessed with "The Beach"

How come the majority of vacations are taken to beach destinations? If I go online and browse tour operator offerings, the majority of it is to "the beach".
If I talk to my friends, the number one thing they want to do on a vacation trip is to go to the beach. I am sure most other people behave the same way.
So what is it that humans are so obsessed with "The Beach". Is it a genetic defect?
I cannot fathom it is good for an organic bag of water to sit on hot silicon dioxide while cultivating skin cancer.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:47 pm

I'm not a beach person and prefer to spend my vacations going to new cities and seeing the sights, but if you're the kind of person who wants to do absolutely nothing for an entire week and just relax and enjoy a drink or two or ten, I can't think of a better place than the beach.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold
the organic bag of water stands a good chance of spreading its dna sequences if he/she engages to similar bags of water standing semi-naked in front of them (which can lead to exchanges of dna information to create an egg ,which in due time will get out and continue the propagation of the species)

worst case, its a pleasant experience for the brain to see specimens of the opposite sex which can be better seen this way than in a city with lots of clothes

that accounts for a significant percentage of people that like the beach (raises hand)

also you can do lots of water sports after which you can take place in social exchanges around a beverage composed of wheat/barley and hoops.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t325
I'm not a beach person and prefer to spend my vacations going to new cities and seeing the sights, but if you're the kind of person who wants to do absolutely nothing for an entire week and just relax and enjoy a drink or two or ten, I can't think of a better place than the beach.
I'm with you. Mrs. PTravel and I are vampires -- we hate going out in the sun, and our idea of vacation is seeing and doing things, not sitting around.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
the organic bag of water stands a good chance of spreading its dna sequences if he/she engages to similar bags of water standing semi-naked in front of them (which can lead to exchanges of dna information to create an egg ,which in due time will get out and continue the propagation of the species)
So you think it is genetic/evolutionary programmed afterall?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
So you think it is genetic/evolutionary programmed afterall?
the desire to see naked good looking women? nahhhhhhhhhh

kidding aside, I read somewhere that taking sun for prolonged periods of time actually becomes addicting, I find it ridiculous when people desire to be tanned and yet their skin simply can NOT do it but they dont give up, they do all sort of crazy things like the artificial tanning booths that leave them looking like shrimp/lobsters.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:21 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A lot of busy stressed-out people want vacations in which they can turn their brains off for the duration and/or ignore their kids for a while. Hence the popularity of beach vacations and cruises.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:23 pm

I'm even worse. I've never lived more than 5 miles from a beach & I've lived a lot of places.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:25 pm

One thing that I find somewhat irksome (if I think about too much, that is) is the number of people I know who spend half the year looking forward to their beach holiday and then, on their return, complain that it was far too hot! They must be very miserable people to have has holiday companions...

And then they do the same thing next year!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by PTravel
Originally Posted by t325
I'm with you. Mrs. PTravel and I are vampires -- we hate going out in the sun, and our idea of vacation is seeing and doing things, not sitting around.
+1

This. I'm so not a beach person. I love to swim but indoors is best.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
+1

This. I'm so not a beach person. I love to swim but indoors is best.
I equate swimming indoors to running on a treadmill. I do it due to weather constraints. Can't say I enjoy it though.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
If only Byron were so romantic.

Personally, I prefer snow. Six months in northern Norway during winter was heaven for me.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver

worst case, its a pleasant experience for the brain to see specimens of the opposite sex which can be better seen this way than in a city with lots of clothes

that accounts for a significant percentage of people that like the beach (raises hand)

also you can do lots of water sports after which you can take place in social exchanges around a beverage composed of wheat/barley and hoops.
This bag of water looks better when encased in woven fibres. Or as we used top say in Australia, a "bag o fruit" . I grew up around some of the best beaches anywhere but they don't have any mystique for me. Walking along a quiet beach at sunset or during a wild storm = great, spending money to go to some crowded resort beach = nightmare.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What's so good about going to cold areas or snow? It's all in the eye of the beholder!

I like the beach. I guess I like it for the casual laid back lifestyle that beach culture often exudes.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: *G
I grew up around the ocean so it was taken for granted. Most people in the world don't have access to the ocean. And esp here they're in a colder continental climate so the beach is a refreshing change.

Myself, I prefer the mountains....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.