Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are there comfortable sofa beds at any hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

I just had a sleepless night at a hotel where I was stuck on a sofa bed. It got me thinking that I have never slept on a sofa bed that was even moderately comfortable. Has anyone ever experienced a comfortable sofa bed at a hotel?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Why would you do that?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Sofa beds are never comfortable. However, it helps if I can sleep sideways and avoid the support bar in the middle of my back.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Hyatt Places' living room beds are not the pull-out kind per se, but as large banquettes (sp?) they are a comfortable "bed" to sleep on. I've inadvertently discovered this when my priority was to watch TV, when watching TV or lying/sleeping on the real bed was an either/or proposition (when you can't turn the flat screen far enough toward the bed). But back to the question, they're much better than the "classic" sofa bed.

[I have no connection with Hyatt, except as a customer.]
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
No such thing. Then again, I usually use them at low-mid tier properties when traveling with my family.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Last time I slept on one at a hotel was at a Residence Inn when traveling with my parents. It was definitely not comfortable.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:15 am

Relatedly,

Four Seasons' rollaways are just twin versions of their normal mattresses; I've seen them set them up two side by side and covered up like a king. Certainly much nicer than any sofabed, if not as desirable due to the gap in the middle.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nba1017
Relatedly,

Four Seasons' rollaways are just twin versions of their normal mattresses; I've seen them set them up two side by side and covered up like a king. Certainly much nicer than any sofabed, if not as desirable due to the gap in the middle.
I agree with those who said that sofa beds are NEVER comfortable. At least in my experience.

One Westin rollaway bed stands out, though. We got one for my 4-year old daughter at the Westin Arlington, VA and it was awesome. I would have slept in it. The bed was simply a rollaway twin version of their regular mattress, and came made up with the same linens and comforter that were on the two queen beds in the room. I was thoroughly impressed to the extent that I looked it up online to see if I could buy one for guests at my home. They are for sale, but the price seemed pretty ridiculous for something that might get one or two nights of use each year.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
I would go with the roll away bed over a sofabed, the issue with any sofabed is that the mattress must be thin enough to fold that being said I have had some not horrible sofa beds in a JW Marriott, but their rollaway beds were much better so after the first night was asked for that, in the morning we just stood it up and rolled it to a corner.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I've not been condemned to many hotel sofa beds, but renting and owning for decades always seemed to have one room in which a sofa bed was the optimal choice to own. I don't ever recall seeing, 'trying" or buying one that provided a place to sleep any more comfortable than than the cot assigned to me at Navy OCS, obviously a trial in discomfort set in my path as a challenge to my adaptability. I recall those Friday nights spent sleeping on the floor to preserve a carefully made bed for Saturday morning inspections. The floor was more comfortable than most sofa beds or my cot.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:23 am

I have a nice pottery barn loveseat in my guestroom that is a pullout. It was the first time I had seen a pullout that didn't have all of the bars and it has a genuine mattress. It's extremely comfortable. Of course there is one bar in the middle to support the mattress, but you don't feel it. The mattress is firm yet folds in half very easily.

On the hotel side, as others mentioned lots of places have sofa beds. One I have heard where they are actually fairly comfy is Dorado Beach, and I believe every single accommodation option there has one.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
This thread was resurfaced after many years of inactivity by a spam bot (whose posts have now been deleted). As this topic is from 2013, we will go ahead and archive this thread. Should anyone want to discuss this further, please feel free to create a new thread so that more recent anecdotes can be provided. Thanks. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.