Guaranteed seat on overbooked flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guaranteed seat on overbooked flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
They are required to follow it if they can't find volunteers. Having a seat assignment or boarding early won't change that.
In my experiences being IDB'ed, it was the people without seat assignments at the end who didn't get on.

If airline computer systems weren't so incredibly primitive as compared to the rest of the world, I'd say that some sort of formal IDB logic drove who didn't get seat assignments and those of us standing there in the gate area really were the 4-5 people with the lowest fare codes or some other rational factor. However, I am not convinced that's the case.

Besides, couldn't an airline simply say that check-in time is one of their preset factors? Makes the logic real simple at that point...

I've also been on flights where VDB's were not aggressively sought. Maybe the DOT requirement is that the airline makes a token offer to someone to volunteer, but on one of my IDB's there were a total of 12 bumped and *zero* gate announcements about VDB. Perhaps some passengers were offered at the kiosks, I don't know...

But I agree with you...a routine Southwest flight, IDB is a non-issue. But still check-in at T-24 hours... @:-)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Often1
Contrary to popular belief, DOT requires that US carriers and carriers flying to/from the US, have a preset order for IDB. They are required to follow it if they can't find volunteers. Having a seat assignment or boarding early won't change that.
Not having a seat assignment could be one of the preset reasons. The only time I ever came close to IDB, the criteria they were applying was 1) passengers without seat assignments, 2) order of check in. I did hear one half hearted announcement for volunteers, but there were no takers. Luckily I was the second to check in (out of 7 with no seats) and they had room for two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.