Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to increase my odds of bumping and getting compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning to take a trip to the UK during the Christmas-to-New Year holiday period. I'm going to use points for this trip, but at the same time I'm trying to see if I can get bumped so that I can get compensation.

Right now, I've scheduled my trip such that I can afford a 1 day delay. I'm planning to fly out from the US on Christmas Eve and fly out from the UK on New Years Eve. I'm guessing those are two hot dates where the flights will be overbooked?

I'm also trying to route them through hubs that are notorious for delays, e.g. ORD, which I hope will increase my chances of getting bump.

Is there anything else I can do to increased my chances of getting bumped? I'm assuming that one is still entitled to travel voucher compensation even if one pays for the trip in miles?

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Jul 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I'm totally making this up, but I would think people, read leisure travelers, are more certain about their travel plans on these days of the year than most other days. Plus there will be fewer, read none, business travelers. Those that are out there are determined to get to thier destination.

That being said, if true, the airlines will limit the seats oversold.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:16 pm

I would actually think Christmas Eve would NOT be a busy day, last year I saw decent prices ($800-900) up until 10 days prior to departure from the us to the uk , so I wouldn't count on it .
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Now that I think about it, I flew ORD-FRA on Christmas Eve. Plane was full, but I have no recollection of any oversell.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think you are making a huge assumption

Christmas is a Wednesday this year, which means Christmas and New Years Eve is a Tuesday.

You believe that people will work Monday and fly on Tuesday instead of taking Monday (and the half day on Tuesday if they don't have it off) off and flying on Saturday or Sunday?

You also believe with the ability to afford just a one day delay, that should you get bumped there will be space on the next day?

If you fly through an area that is experiencing weather delays for a storm, you may be looking at several days before you get out and on your way, given that many airlines now cancel flights for a day or so based on the weather forecast and it takes days to get back to normal.

Barring a major storm that causes multiple airports to have huge delays, with the holidays in the middle of the week I don't think there's much chance at all in that much overbooking.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...trategies.html
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Yep I suspect those aren't great days to expect to get bumped. In the days when I travelled more non-rev (admittedly many years ago) I would often travel Xmas Eve, Day, NY Eve and Day as there was always space!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Silver, HHonors Diamond
I expect those will be days with the lowest bump rate as most people will not fly on important family holidays such as Christmas Eve or a celebration time like NYE. If you want to increase your chances of getting bumped, get a hotter ticket. I would pick the Friday before Cheistmas and the next business day after NYE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.