Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My biggest frustration is being required to book refundable Y for international which often prices in line with advance-purchase discount J (especially at a tech company of our size that can surely negotiate sizeable discounts in all classes if desired, not just Y).

As long as I'm committed to the trip with no chance of a change, I should be able to book the non-refundable J if it prices the same as refundable Y.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
My biggest frustration is being required to book refundable Y for international which often prices in line with advance-purchase discount J (especially at a tech company of our size that can surely negotiate sizeable discounts in all classes if desired, not just Y).

As long as I'm committed to the trip with no chance of a change, I should be able to book the non-refundable J if it prices the same as refundable Y.
Problem is that corporations usually have the mindset that if they make an exception for you, even if that exception makes financial sense, then they're going to get bombarded with requests for other exceptions. Draw one line and leave it that way.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Problem is that corporations usually have the mindset that if they make an exception for you, even if that exception makes financial sense, then they're going to get bombarded with requests for other exceptions. Draw one line and leave it that way.
Is it really a problem to apply the same logic to everyone? So long as you have a clear policy of when to do what, I don't see the problem.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by invisible
Clear. But I would assume that there is some limitation on 'eating the difference'. In our TE policy is clearly written that employee is financially responsible for excess charges not covered by the client. In other words, if you being told that client covers only flight in Y up to $2000 and you went and booked flight in C for $6000 - $4000 will come from your pocket - all employees are responsible first to cover all travel charges and then submit them for reimbursement.
That would be one way to assure that the top people work on the more generous client's matters, especially if we're talking about significant ultra long-hauls.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
I early-retired from a major consulting firm 2 years ago. Policy was business > 4 hours (except for training..most trainings were offered in multiple locations and it was your choice to go to a more "exotic" one). Long-haul F never unless no other option to get there or travelling with client executive who was flying F themselves.

Now I run my own one-person shop. Have defaulted to the same rule, generally with no fuss. Have made exceptions to fly Y (and upgrade with certs) transcon for a client who I knew had recently instituted Y-only-in-North-America as a cost cutting measure, and I didn't feel it would be right to present them with J on an invoice. However, just turned down a project last week where client wasn't willing to pay for J for monthly 2-day N.America/Europe visits for 6 months -- hence my curiosity about this thread.

My take is that I travelled quite happily anywhere in Y a couple of times a year in my 20s, and (unlike some others in this thread) I know I can be reasonably productive on the day after a red-eye in Y -- once in a while. However, I'm in my 12th year averaging 200k+ miles, on occasion 6+ intercontinental redeyes a month. I'm pretty sure if I did all or even a significant part of that in Y, I'd be a wreck by now. So, barring rare exceptions, long haul is J or I don't go.

I have faced some challenges (always reached amicable resolution) with clients surprised I couldn't book cheap nonrefundable fares: yes, I know we have a standing meeting on the first Tues of each month, but I don't have visibility where I'm going before or after...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Duke787

cant you just buy cash upgrades at the airport for marginal prices?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That was a great solution during the recession. And in some instances it still is. But, on many routes with the economy on screech and carriers have trimmed service to meet paid demand, those juicy upgrades are long gone.

And when they exist, they are not the good deals they used to be. Not that there aren't occasional good deals to be had. Simply that if one is a regular on an ultra long-haul, chancing this isn't what most people want.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
...these days the fact that you have a reasonably paying job is more important than travel benefits.
I'm always impressed by people who say they refuse to fly Y under any circumstance, would quit their jobs if push came to shove, etc... really? If it's a good job, is that really the hill you'd want to die on?

Originally Posted by montrealer
...just turned down a project last week where client wasn't willing to pay for J for monthly 2-day N.America/Europe visits for 6 months...
I hear you, but might have negotiated PE -- or a lump sum I could spend as I pleased. Real world, many's the time client norms or one's own circumstances (e.g. need for a gig) soften these never-Y rules.

If I'm consulting for a company where everyone from the CEO down flies in coach, I'm going to look like a fool insisting on business class (and it won't help other aspects of the business relationship either).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm always impressed by people who say they refuse to fly Y under any circumstance, would quit their jobs if push came to shove, etc... really? If it's a good job, is that really the hill you'd want to die on?
...and would they easily find another company that doesn't have the same policy?

Were I to quit my company due to its all-Y travel policy, I'd likely find that anywhere else I might land would have the exact same policy.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The number one thing that always gets me about Y-only travel policies are that they are usually ridiculously out of line (in travel quality) with the rest of the accommodations. IMO, flying even transcon Y is akin to getting to the airport by bus/train and staying in a Motel 6, and yet most employers I know have no problem paying for $150 car service and only allow you to book the likes of a Westin. The lack of flexibility and (in a large company) the unwillingness to listen to reason create an adversarial relationship between employees and the policy, and usually the amount of money that can be wasted "in policy" is rather higher than a cheap J fare.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plat, Bonvoy Amb, HH Dia, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres
Mgmt Consulting top firm 7hrs or less in the air = Y
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The number one thing that always gets me about Y-only travel policies are that they are usually ridiculously out of line (in travel quality) with the rest of the accommodations. IMO, flying even transcon Y is akin to getting to the airport by bus/train and staying in a Motel 6, and yet most employers I know have no problem paying for $150 car service and only allow you to book the likes of a Westin.
It simply comes down to the dollars.

The cost difference between a three-night stay at the Westin vs. Motel Six might be $400.

With something like SEA-LHR return you might be talking a $3500 difference between Y and J. If the Westin was $3500 more than the Motel 6 then you can bet Tom Bodett would be 'leaving the light' on for me at the Motel 6 as well.

[FWIW, I don't get to pay for car service. Cabs or Uber for me.]
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gglave
It simply comes down to the dollars.

The cost difference between a three-night stay at the Westin vs. Motel Six might be $400.

With something like SEA-LHR return you might be talking a $3500 difference between Y and J. If the Westin was $3500 more than the Motel 6 then you can bet Tom Bodett would be 'leaving the light' on for me at the Motel 6 as well.

[FWIW, I don't get to pay for car service. Cabs or Uber for me.]
Sure, but sometimes that isn't the case (creative routings and/or many long US domestic flights can be quite cheap up front) and the inflexibility of most corporate policies does not account for this. It's my impression that they're built more around the idea of what some director though were "sufficient" comforts for his employees (and at many big companies not himself).

But you're right that giving people free rein to book last-minute overwater J travel is outrageously expensive. In general I am a proponent of policies which try to target reasonable costs rather than limit by "level of luxury". But then I have stronger opinions than most about spending more than about 3 hours in Y.

Last edited by findark; Oct 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Sure, but sometimes that isn't the case (creative routings and/or many long US domestic flights can be quite cheap up front) and the inflexibility of most corporate policies does not account for this.
I guess living as I do in Canada, I don't have enough experience to comment intelligently, but I can say that when this response has come up over the years I've noodled around with curiousity on search engines and have never been able to come up with a J routing that wasn't thousands more than Y.

Take my example above. SEA-LHR, departing Monday October 31st, returning Friday, November 4th.

Return Y fare seems to be around $1500 USD. Are you suggesting you can find a return J fare via "creative routings" that isn't $1000-$2000 more?

...because I've never been able to - And it's that thousands more for J that employers balk at.

I'm sure if the price was comparable, most employers would be fine.

Last edited by gglave; Oct 18, 2016 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
I guess living as I do in Canada, I don't have enough experience to comment intelligently, but I can say that when this response has come up over the years I've noodled around with curiousity on search engines and have never been able to come up with a J routing that wasn't thousands more than Y.

Take my example above. SEA-LHR, departing Monday October 31st, returning Friday, November 4th.

Return Y fare seems to be around $1500 USD. Are you suggesting you can find a return J fare via "creative routings" that isn't $1000-$2000 more?
So it's definitely not true every time. But to take your example, most corporate travel policies would let me book any of several nonstop OW/ST options which are USD 2729. The policy allowing Business Class would get the company billed the same flights in J, which are over 9k. But FI via KEF is 4740, and 3878 if you let me spend part of my weekends in LHR. And that's for an example you threw at me, departing in less than 14 days, to one of the most expensive premium markets in the world. It's not lie-flat, but still in my opinion worth it especially for an eastbound TATL.

Now, I fully admit that "book J" is going to make people waste 9k on the nonstop. And not everyone can plan their work travel in advance. I'm fortunate with my current employer that they're still small enough that they're willing to work with me, and I can generally fly J/F for small sums out of my own pocket (which I get by planning my travel in advance and being willing to go with the lower fares). My last job would had never heard of it.

And honestly I'm arguing about US transcon as much as overwater flights. Last-minute int'l J is absurdly expensive, and I can sympathize with the bottom line on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.