Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 16, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
To clarify, these guys have mid-level status everywhere and of course collect miles and use them for personal trips.

But they're only doing so because it requires absolutely zero extra effort, and they're certainly not spending their time bouncing around on FT or MP looking for how to maximize earnings and redemptions. They earn miles/points as an afterthought, and spend them by running a search, finding a flight/room, and booking it.

What I was really trying to say is just that people like that tend to not have a presence on these types of forums.
Understood. In that case, I fully agree with you!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Perhaps those people whose business pays for J travel don't tend to frequent FT.

I know a couple people who work in corporate insurance at VP+ levels and their travel policy is F/J on any flights over 2 hours. They really couldn't care less about points/miles, and certainly not upgrades.
I have to disagree. The company I used to work for paid for Business Class. All of my colleagues flew Business Class. All of us monitored our miles and points quite closely. I actually created an MS Access data base to track mine. Do it right, move hotel points around, and you can get upgrades to First Class on 9 out of 10 international flights.

I would suspect that most of the people on FT who fly business do the same. And there are a lot of us.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I have to disagree. The company I used to work for paid for Business Class. All of my colleagues flew Business Class. All of us monitored our miles and points quite closely. I actually created an MS Access data base to track mine. Do it right, move hotel points around, and you can get upgrades to First Class on 9 out of 10 international flights.

I would suspect that most of the people on FT who fly business do the same. And there are a lot of us.
Bolding mine, and I would agree with that sentence exactly as you wrote it.

My argument is that most of the people who fly paid J for work all the time are not on FT, nor are they tracking their miles and points as diligently as you did.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Bolding mine, and I would agree with that sentence exactly as you wrote it.

My argument is that most of the people who fly paid J for work all the time are not on FT, nor are they tracking their miles and points as diligently as you did.
Most of ALL flyers are not on FT. But I suspect that those who fly J for work are probably more highly represented here than Kettles.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Most of ALL flyers are not on FT. But I suspect that those who fly J for work are probably more highly represented here than Kettles.
Again, I agree.

However I was never comparing them to kettles. I was comparing them to a) the types of people who overall make up most of FT and b) people who pay for J in general (whether on FT or not).

Put another way, if 10% of all pax in the world work for businesses who pay for J tickets, I would strongly suspect that far less than 10% of all active FTers are people who work for businesses that pay for J tickets. Further, I'd suspect that an even lower percentage of all FT posts are made by such people, as I'd think they'd be less active here compared to other FTers.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Keep in mind that very few individuals fly a very large percentage of J class flights. Meaning that those who fly J class, fly a relatively large number of flights in their life time. Thete are relatively few J flyers who fly only very little. Most people who do one vacation by airplane a year will fly Y.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, UA
I work in tech. 4-5 Transcons in a quarter (SBA to NC/FL). All in economy.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I agree.

However I was never comparing them to kettles. I was comparing them to a) the types of people who overall make up most of FT and b) people who pay for J in general (whether on FT or not).

Put another way, if 10% of all pax in the world work for businesses who pay for J tickets, I would strongly suspect that far less than 10% of all active FTers are people who work for businesses that pay for J tickets. Further, I'd suspect that an even lower percentage of all FT posts are made by such people, as I'd think they'd be less active here compared to other FTers.
Understood. But in my experience FT members are far more likely to be in the "pay for J" group than the basic population. So if 10% of pax buy J then 20% of FT buy J.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I agree.

I think this might vary by the forum you frequent on FlyerTalk ... many of the regulars on the BA forum would not be seen dead in a Y cabin
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Our company policy has been fairly consistent over the years. With the exception of Canada and Mexico, all employees can fly J when traveling internationally. Y for US/NAFTA travel. DL and AA are our preferred carriers, but managers can approve other carriers or fare classes so long as the cost is comparable or can otherwise be justified for business reasons (e.g., need to be in ICN tomorrow but only Y or F seats left, you will be in F).

Those of us in the company that travel frequently have top tier status in either AA or DL, so the domestic Y requirement has been a non-issue. Even with AA changing to a revenue-based system, annual spend will be more than enough to maintain EXP in the new program. UG % should actually increase, as I often buy pricy tickets inside the 7-day window, which I understand will now get preferential treatment under the new scheme.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Calchas
many of the regulars on the BA forum would not be seen dead in a Y cabin
Lucky you.

I work for a Canadian high-tech company.

Most of my travel is to the USA, with one or two trips off the continent per year, mostly on United Airlines, all in economy. By year's end I'll probably fly ~50 segments and probably around 40,000 - 45,000 status miles.

The one silver (tin?) lining is I'm silver on united which means I can usually get economy plus at check-in.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by cytog64
@rgrobins - here is an update From my Nov 2014 reply #136

My employer still uses the ALL in Coach policy. Since 2014 the company has grown from 1500 employees to 2000, about only 10-15% are long haul travelers. Annual revenue is around 500M$/yr.

I spent a few months collecting research (corporate policies from other companies) as well as documenting stories and opinions from co-workers (I know of about 40+ long haul travelers). I presented my findings and suggestions to the VP of the department I work in around January 2015. He promised to take it to the executive team meeting and then I never heard about it again. The VP left the company last month. I would say the request died (though I kept my 12 pages of research and interviews). I was starting to get to the point where I had to balance the corporate politics of being a squeaky wheel and picking my battles.

I learned that based on the previous year's travel, the travel/expense department estimated allowing business class on flights over 8 hours would cost the company 1$M extra per year.

At this point all I can do is keep submitting Employee Job Satisfaction Surveys to human resources (I've gone Andy Dufresne on them) Also, I tend to bring up the issue with my manager on a quarterly review basis.

Of course I could find another company to work for; however, I really like my employer (a Fortune top 100 to work for). I am very happy with my pay and many of the destinations I get to travel to for work.

I don't think the corporate policy will change any time soon, so my next approach will be likely a doctor's order. I've also been stewing on an idea of using my miles to buy business class and trying to get the travel/expense department to reimburse the coach cost (that would be awesome to be able to convert excess miles to cash in this way).

I still have to travel to Brazil, Australia, Europe, Japan and South Africa about a half dozen more times this year and am dreading the back pain.
Instead of using miles to buy business class why not use miles to upgrade to business class? Otherwise a doctor's order sounds like the way to go.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH M+M
As some have written: short notice leaves not much options.

And by short this means for me: better have some sort of prepacked carry-on.
Just too bad that on our typical destinations there's no J (or even F).
Typically the flights dont have more than some Y+/E+ and those typically out of sales already.

So I can cheer on Exit-Rows only - looks like most of the kettle dont know about those, so even on 6h notice I am able to book those.

Otherwise.. expenses are on the client side and they don't care. "Make it happen".
If business-case loses some 30-100k an hour (for my scale ops), they don't ask about travel or accomodation.
Aviation-at-FL-zero: get woken up at 4am and be driven in some Porsche at 270+km/h to a location that needed a fix (yep, bad planning, but well).

We/I need more international customers and J/F is on my list in no time
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Instead of using miles to buy business class why not use miles to upgrade to business class?
Generally tickets that can be upgraded to Business Class with miles have to be more expensive economy tickets.

Most employers won't pay for these class of tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.