Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Mine is not even close to the standards being set in this thread but it is all I have:

I carried four large cheesecakes from Junior's from JFK to BAH in order to feed the cravings of my girlfriends family. They devoured them all in a few hours. Luckily the flight crew JFK-FRA took pity on my plight and stored them in one of their cool locations, and their colleagues in the FRA-BAH leg did so also. Thank you LH!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanksgiving dinner. Pre-TSA of course. PHL-ORD on Thanksgiving day when my sister was an FA for AA and she was on call. I drove GSP-PHL only to find out that I was going to ORD in the morning. Turkey, stuffing, rolls, green bean casserole. The works. Was funny watching the Turkey go through the x-ray.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Mine is not even close to the standards being set in this thread but it is all I have:

I carried four large cheesecakes from Junior's from JFK to BAH in order to feed the cravings of my girlfriends family. They devoured them all in a few hours. Luckily the flight crew JFK-FRA took pity on my plight and stored them in one of their cool locations, and their colleagues in the FRA-BAH leg did so also. Thank you LH!
My then girlfriend once brought me Key lime pie JFK-FCO. You can't get Key lime pie in Italy!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

A disk pack from Toronto to Vancouver...it was state of the art at the time, but fortunately it was long enough ago that getting it through airport security without having them remove the cover and putting fingers on the platters was not a problem.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
in 2000 my wife and I were in Milan on the last Sunday of the month and flying out the next AM. We went to the flea market in Naviglio (it only happens on the last Sunday) and my wife spotted a 1920's crystal chandelier and we were remodeling a pied-a-terre we'd bought in NYC. She loved it.

I'm thinking logistics, etc so we go to lunch and I am getting the treatment. I try and tempt her with something valuable and easy to carry (19th century Russian icon) but no go. She says, let's go back and you point out a flaw so then I can walk away (she's being very nice). Problem is, I go back and there's not a flaw to be found.

The vendor thinks the price is the issue and drops it from about $300 to $225 or so. We buy it, take it back to the hotel, take pictures of it, call the hotel engineer to borrow tools, disassemble it (my wife wraps all the Bohemian crystal in toilet paper) and pack it into my wife's roll-a-board. Security did a double take when it went through the x-ray.

It's in our bedroom (we moved it with us when we bought a bigger place) and I always think about how we found it when I look up in bed.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Had to bring a $30k server part to Jakarta for a client, asap. The Indonesian customs guys were more interested in the foam peanuts inside the case, and ignored the hardware. They were holding the foam peanuts up to the light to check for I don't know what.

On the way home, I packed a metal collapsing baton that was army surplus. Some interesting things you find in the malls there.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
Had to bring a $30k server part to Jakarta for a client, asap.
PCI flash card? I think I have to carry that next time...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Spices

Brought back spices from Jordan.....looked just like Pot with Duct tape on the pgk. Customs never even asked what it was? Go figure
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:44 pm

Red face

pre 9/11
me! I was going to a historical recreation event and wore my belly dance costume covered byt a large faux fur lined cape. It was too heavy to check. the flight was only 35 minutes and I fugured I would be ready to dance when i arrived.
I forgot about the metal detecor...... BEEP! Miss can you remove any metal.
me-um no. (then I opened the cape to show a costume completely covered in tiny bells and coins.)
he says- you are going to arizona for the medieval thing aren't you? So do YOU have any knives or swords under there?
me-no
he says- go over there to be patted down- look for the line of guys in funny clothes with swords to check.

post 9/11
jar of POWDERED peanut butter that everyone had to check
3 insulated lunch sacks of cheese/veggis/fruit (for gramma)
gym bag of frozen venison (from gramma)
small suitcase filled with sticks (i make custom wands and gramma has wood I can't get in california)
box of quartz crystals freshly mined from OK. They had to check Each one!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: QF, HH
Just a can of bear paté (that's bear, not bare or beer) from HEL. Actually it was duty free, but seemed pretty exotic to me at the time!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
This thread is getting better and better. Friend if mine said that he took bicycle wheel onboard.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
A fuel injection system, MCI-DEN. Couple TSA folks ended up being car guys and were excited to see it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:34 am

I took a cobalt-lead glass paperweight for a retiring colleague. Looked perfectly normal in real life, but like a perfect black sphere on the scanner. The scanners in Bristol didn't blink, but they made me unpack it in AMS.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: SAS EBG, Flying Blu Gold, Etihad Gold
Two buckets with sperm from a horse for breeding and they where heavy!!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:44 am

I took an espresso LHR-ATH-TLV in hand luggage. Some very weird looks from the guys at security. They opened it up because they were convinced it couldn't be an espresso machine even though that's what it looked like on the xray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.