Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you feel tired of flying the same airline/airlines all the time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Question Do you feel tired of flying the same airline/airlines all the time?

I've been using the same 3-4 airlines for years. I love airplanes and travelling and the whole experience, but sometimes it is starting to feel tiresome to fly in the same seat, use the same lounge, and go through the same routine yet again! Everything seems to have become so predictable, and not as exciting as it once was.

I keep telling myself that I should try other airlines, but because of circumstances/considerations like maintaining a status or having my tickets booked by the company leave me with little choice at times. Of course, sticking to just one or few airlines has numerous perks - but I do feel like I'm missing out on new travel experiences.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by bluegreentravel; Apr 28, 2013 at 6:57 am
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

Yea I feel the same with AA and its only been two years; one of the reasons why I like the new changes, hopefully a new, better, experience
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K

That's the advantage of these mega alliances. My goal is to fly as many Star Alliance carriers as possible. Right now I'm traveling on an award ticket involving four different airlines.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
That's the advantage of these mega alliances. My goal is to fly as many Star Alliance carriers as possible. Right now I'm traveling on an award ticket involving four different airlines.
True, it's possible to go around this problem. But for *A, I usually almost always fly SQ because of corporate policy/discount. I'm also keen on maintaining my status with QR and PR - both of which are not part of an alliance, and have limited airline partners. So basically I've been flying the same 3 airlines for years now. It's great being in a familiar environment when in the air - but to be honest, it has become a bit dull. Looking at pictures of other F/J/Y cabins is enjoyable, and I want to try all too (and not just on the very occasional flight when redeeming an award), but the self-imposed pressure to maintain gold cards is too restrictive. I know, first world problems

It's also a shame that where I'm currently based, there are practically no opportunities for mileage runs, unlike in Europe or North America. Seems like a fun hobby.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:36 am

I discovered a couple of weeks ago why I like to fly Delta through
Detroit while on my way up to Canada from Texas when the more
"exciting" route up & back took me through Washington & Chicago.

I had a self-guided tour of IAD when the board told me my next
flight was in another terminal... so up & down escalators, walking,
train ride, more escalators... and finally in the right terminal.

Get a bite to eat and relax a bit and then experience tells me to
check if the gate has changed... sure enough I'm sent right back
to where I originated from to some non-existent gate. LOL

I'm going back to the old routine now.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Seems like a moot point inside the US. Long haul international J/F is another story.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:41 pm

Uhm... last time I checked Canada was considered international
and, for me at least, a rather "long-haul" considering they put me
on regionals all the way there.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Paul56
Uhm... last time I checked Canada was considered international and, for me at least, a rather "long-haul" considering they put me on regionals all the way there.
There's probably law against that. You know, like torture is illegal.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes.

I'm a UA flyer and travel Chicago-Toronto a fair bit. I've been cheating on United and using Porter. What a positive change.

Using UA/AC - 60 minute train ride to ORD, deal with Pearson, $70 cab ride into Toronto - reverse.

Using Porter MDW-Toronto City airport. 20 minute train ride, half empty plane (usually), no one in line at Immigration in Toronto (usually), free shuttle bus to the city center. Returning, pretty much the same - Porter has a true departure lounge free to use by all complete with free snacks and coffee/soft drinks, no line at immigration at MDW (except when the plane from Mexico sneaks in front of us (aaargh), then another 20 minute train ride and I'm home. Using Porter I can be home in the time it typically takes me just to get out of ORD.

Porter rocks.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.

Yes, somehow. Of course I like having status and being pampered sometimes, but due to working for different customers, I rarely fly to the same places over and over again, and that means having to use several airlines to reach my destinations. In fact, for the first time in my life I've just flown the same itinerary (BCN-ORY-BCN, on VY) twice back to back, and it felt a bit disappointing.

Unfortunately, with my 50-60 segments per year, the above means that I don't have the top tier with any alliance. But since I'm FTL with LH until February 2016 with no hope to reach higher, I'm happy to try anything once, and that means airlines, no matter how many Skytrax stars they have. I'm certainly not the type of guy who will tell you just how atrocious and execrable Ryanair is, only to admit they've never flown and will never fly with them!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
There's probably law against that. You know, like torture is illegal.
Oh joy, I just booked another flight to Canada... I'm on an A319
instead of SqueezeJet<tm>.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:14 pm

I only get tired of it if I'm worried that another airline has better service. But I shop around and I always come back to thinking my chosen airlines are just the best options for me. I don't buy based solely on price. If I'm flying domestic economy, I try to fly JetBlue or at least Delta so I can get EMS or EC seats. I fly to Japan once or twice a year and I always fly either ANA or JAL because their service is the best. (ANA is a little better than JAL, but not by much.) I do belong to the mileage clubs on all these airlines but that's not why I fly them, because I transfer more miles in than I ever rack up flying and I could do that with any airline. I just fly them because I like something about the service, and I'm not really interested in trying something different just because it's different.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Staying with United... it's the devil you know, and becomes a habit. Kind of like being married. And since I've been married for 34 years, the idea that, after 3 or 4 years I'd be bored with an airline...

I'll admit is is fun to step out on United once in a while, and if there was a way to make Virgin work, it might be tempting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.