Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York Times "36 Hours in . . . " article parodied by Vanity Fair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

New York Times "36 Hours in . . . " article parodied by Vanity Fair

Memo to The New York Times: What Actually Happens During “36 Hours in. . .” a Foreign Country

I thought this was pretty funny. I'm a solo backpacker, but is that really how trips as a couple happen?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
Memo to The New York Times: What Actually Happens During “36 Hours in. . .” a Foreign Country

I thought this was pretty funny. I'm a solo backpacker, but is that really how trips as a couple happen?
Yep, that can be pretty much how it happens; some of the bickering could have been lifted from my travel diaries.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
It's a funny article. Traveling to Far East Asia from NY can be tough due to time difference. It does take some will power to really get outside hotel rooms.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
reminds me of both my first trip to Perth, Australia and last trip to Phnom Penh, Cambodia... best sleep I ever got in a hotel, on a short trip
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Too True!

Yes, there is something about crossing multiple time zones that bring out the "best" in people. Getting psyched for my Italy trip later this month.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Hah funny. Although I had the when are we going out argument with my brother after a three hour flight across one timezone. Mind you he had a far more tiring schedule before we went
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I presume the "36 hrs" format is just a way of condensing a lot of info gathered over a longer period. Sorry for the sense of humour failure. Also that parody lost its edge when it mentioned "exchanging currency" . Does anyone still do that?

Although they got the jetlag feeling spot on, more likely to be experienced by Americans travelling to Europe than Asia IMO. Go West is my motto.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:08 pm

Oooh, but the sort of traveler depicted by VF is the type I'd never travel with!

I've always found the NYT's 36 Hours series to be sensible time-wise. They do leave enough time for sleep, and anyway, if you know you're only going to be in a country for 36 hours, you should put a bit of effort into making the most of your time, especially if you spent so much time getting there. Of course, I'd expect anyone spending 36 hours in a faraway country is doing a stopover or tacking on a couple days to a business trip... or is one of those crazy people on flyertalker.com doing mile runs.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Yep, that can be pretty much how it happens; some of the bickering could have been lifted from my travel diaries.
Ha ha, I find those kinds of articles are the most memorable. Where you feel, "Hey, this is so frighteningly accurate that the writer could have been spying on me."

Last edited by StreetSmartTraveler; Apr 18, 2013 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Ha ha, I find those are the kinds of articles the most memorable. Where you feel, "Hey, this is so frighteningly accurate that the writer could have been spying on me."
It also makes me look at myself and laugh about my crankiness in some of those situations. It's easy to take yourself way too seriously.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:48 am

Accurate.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Collapse into bed despite the bilateral earlier agreement that you would just force yourselves to stay awake today to “get on a normal sleep schedule.”
That's pretty accurate. Although more fun when one half of a couple is determined to stay awake and the other just wants to "have a little nap" .
Best to stay outside and do the zombie walk thing. In your room, that bed beckons with an ever louder voice ....
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:32 am

It can - at least the arrival crankiness. While my wife and I have generally great travel compatibility we have a standard agreement that pretty much anything said between a Trans(insert ocean) flight arrival and the first night of sleep shouldn't be taken seriously.

We have a similar agreement when moving into a new house as well
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:39 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

I found the VF article quite funny.

As for the real NYTimes pieces, they would be better if the editors had actually traveled to some of these places. In the recent Taipei piece there is no mention that the Shilin District is miles away from the other markets described. It's not even on the map accompanying the article.

As with any other travel article, check things out beforehand.

Fortunately Google and Google Maps know almost everything! TripAdvisor, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.