Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World - Circumnavigation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Around the World - Circumnavigation

I did search for this - and everyone loves their around the world trips - so maybe I'm missing a term in the search - because surely this is not a new concept.

I would like to travel around the world - just to say I did it. One revolution. Not necessarily a trip where I stop in 20 different countries over 2 weeks. Something like a 3 day flight. From A -> B and then B -> A. Obviously they should go different directions, so I'm thinking ensuring the layovers are planned well is the way to do it. Kinda like a mileage run - completely circumnavigating the globe.

So my questions are:

A) Does anyone know a term I'm missing in searching for people who have done this?

B) Has anyone done it?

C) Suggestions on how to do it?

My immediate thought was (I'm in DFW) pick a time zone that's 12 hours from the one you're in - and fly to that - to where I would assume they have options in stopovers since you're literally right in the middle (about 13,000 miles away).

I am -6 in time zones, so +6 is right smack in the middle of russia/india and those countries.

Any other feedback would be helpful - I am thinking I might do this for my birthday coming up if it's feasible. I've never flown more than 3 hours, but this would definitely get my foot wet in the traveling exotically mindset.

I have no alliance preference or anything to that end - just ideas are where I'm starting at..
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 am

RTW ('Round the World). That's the term you are looking for.

Other people will certainly chime in with their suggestions but since you have no particular alliance preference, check out kayak and use their multi-city option: http://www.kayak.com/flights?mc=y

If I was going to do it, do it in as little time as possible, alliance was not an issue, and I didn't want to spend too much money, I'd do this:

Part 1: DFW-NRT (via DFW-IAH-SFO-NRT) depart 5:30AM Sept. 4 arrive 4:30PM Sept. 5

Part 2: NRT-FRA (via NRT-DXB-FRA) depart Sept. 5 10:00PM arrive Sept 6 7:20PM

Part 3: FRA-DFW (via FRA-ARN-ORD-DFW) depart Sept. 6 9:30PM arrive Sept 7 8:36PM (there is an overnight in Stockholm so you can take a shower and whatnot)

All for the price of $3297, a sore back, and an interesting smell when you arrive in Stockholm.

I just picked a random day in Spetember. I'm sure the more search savvy FTers can come up with something better.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:16 am

This is something I'd love to do in first class if I won the lottery. I think emirates fly to DFW? You could look at DFW-DXB-SYD-DFW on EK & QF in either direction
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
If you have enough miles you can do so by cashing them in.
US miles are remarkably liberal and allow you to do a RTW like you are describing just as a long itinerary.

AA miles, in fact all OW miles/kms can be cashed in as a planned RTW, based on total miles and allow x number of stops. I'm sure *A does the same.

Both forums

Originally Posted by horseymen
I've never flown more than 3 hours, but this would definitely get my foot wet in the traveling exotically mindset.
Nothing exotic with the inside of airports and a metal tube. If you want exotic many of us can give you ideas on stops to poke around. Ever been to Monrovia, Liberia? Been on Safari? Climbed an Alp?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I'd prefer it on a cruise ship.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:10 am

A) Does anyone know a term I'm missing in searching for people who have done this?
The term is "RTW"
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
use orbitz/other w/ a globe/world map and check out routes/skeds/$s....

you can check visa needs on the state dept site....

maybe dfw-fra-nrt-dfw.....using multi city, you can check a bunch of routes quickly....

good luck....
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

B) Has anyone done it?.
just recently I flew BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO-LHR-DOH-CAN-BKK. It took about 60 hours.

BKK-LAX TGF/NHF mistake fare, LAX-BKK UA award ticket in business. Had to go to RGN to pick up my RGN mistake fare.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
RTW ('Round the World). That's the term you are looking for.

Other people will certainly chime in with their suggestions but since you have no particular alliance preference, check out kayak and use their multi-city option: http://www.kayak.com/flights?mc=y

If I was going to do it, do it in as little time as possible, alliance was not an issue, and I didn't want to spend too much money, I'd do this:

Part 1: DFW-NRT (via DFW-IAH-SFO-NRT) depart 5:30AM Sept. 4 arrive 4:30PM Sept. 5

Part 2: NRT-FRA (via NRT-DXB-FRA) depart Sept. 5 10:00PM arrive Sept 6 7:20PM

Part 3: FRA-DFW (via FRA-ARN-ORD-DFW) depart Sept. 6 9:30PM arrive Sept 7 8:36PM (there is an overnight in Stockholm so you can take a shower and whatnot)

All for the price of $3297, a sore back, and an interesting smell when you arrive in Stockholm.

I just picked a random day in Spetember. I'm sure the more search savvy FTers can come up with something better.
Does it count as a circumnavigation if you don't cross the equator?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:27 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Does it count as a circumnavigation if you don't cross the equator?
you set your own rules....when i started counting countries, if the plane landed it got counted even if had to stay on.....then it was feet on the ground....now, pp must be stamped...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

try to fly in 1 alliance....you would get more than enough mi for a rt domestic ticket....
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rotanes
The term is "RTW"
Thank you for this. When I looked (granted, I didn't go through 100 - but I did look through 10) - it was more of the trip of a lifetime - over several weeks with stops and visits. This one (and there have been some great ideas for me to start looking at - thank you!) is literally a fastest - airport and plane only type of RTW. There's something psychologically comforting (to me, but I'm weird) about the idea of saying I have flown around the world. Fast is important since I'm going to be away from my family to do this - so yes, it may be a waste of miles - but since we're not all ready to take a 26,000 mile flight, if I can do it in 2-3 days, it might be something I'm interested in for a birthday present kind of thing - and one way to do it in 3 has already been outlined - and a couple other mileage run examples listed. I am very grateful for the help and will thumb through RTW with fast adjective search terms to see if I can find anyone else who has done this for inspiration.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Be careful, the travel addiction spins wildly out of control from there...

I did my first RTW in '09 followed by two RTW's in '12, two (possibly three) planned for this year.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
I've done a dozen or so of these trips (RTW) over the years - Mostly for work (press tours, etc.)

You will want to avoid US carriers if possible because their products are uncompetitive internationally. I would suggest the following to experience great airports and great aircraft:

EK DFW-DXB
EK DXB-SIN
SQ SIN-DFW (via LAX - AA will operate the short hop from LAX-DFW)

TFD
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:35 am

I'm taking my 17yo son on our first RTW trip this summer over a three week period and can hardly wait!

UA: SFO-HNL-GUM-ROR (no, not the Island Hopper )
OZ: ROR-ICN
OZ: ICN-HAN
QR: HAN-BKK
ET: BKK-KUL
Malaysian Railways from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore
TK: SIN-IST
TK: IST-MUC
LH: MUC-SFO

OZ & QR in business class, remainder in (ouch) economy but that's OK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.