Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kids in F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Kids in F

Okay, I know kids have every right to fly, but today I saw something that made me think.... I wanted to see what everyone thought. I was flying today on a 7377 slc to iah 2.5 hr, and 4 of the 12 F seats were one fam, mom and 3 very young kids..
I'm guessing 2 or 3. years old. Anyways, dad appeared to be in the bulkhead in e+. After a quick glance at the app, I could tell it was all the same fam, and they had been upgraded.. No problem to me as I got upgraded as well, but First isint really the product for kids, I mean they could care less... to them at that age an e+ seat has got to be just as much fun.. These little guys were well behaved, but I noticed they didn't eat any of their food... Since mom must have had high status, they ordered first, which left a few people getting their 2nd choice.. I wonder had I missed a CPU and saw 1/3 the F cabin with kids I might feel differently. I'd say if I had that many little guys, I would probably stay in e+ out of respect to other F pax, assuming kids might be rowdy, besides they're not going to care like some of us do. What are your thoughts?? Have you guys seen this?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I see it every so often.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They tend to know how to act on an airplane, more so than some kettles.

With that many UGs, someone burned miles/$$ for their kids. Not sure why any adult elite should be more entitled than the kids.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA G
Why's it any different if a kid vs. an adult gets a companion EUA? Doesn't matter to me.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Few enjoy kids in F especially if they behave badly..however they have the right to be there just like anyone else if they were upgraded using instruments or CPU'd according to the rules.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by aacharya
I see it every so often.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They tend to know how to act on an airplane, more so than some kettles.

With that many UGs, someone burned miles/$$ for their kids. Not sure why any adult elite should be more entitled than the kids.
(Bolding mine)

*Or elites, for that matter
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
(Bolding mine)

*Or elites, for that matter
more often elites than kettles for that matter.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
If I were king of the world, humans under the age of 18 (ok, let's say 13) would be forbidden in premium class airplane cabins as well as airline and hotel lounges.

Babies and little kids don't belong in those settings any more than they do Michelin starred restaurants. I pay for a premium experience, not to be in romper room.

And yes, I have three kids. And no, they did not hang out in premium cabins, lounges or Michelin starred restaurants when I was raising them.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:35 pm

I really don't see the big deal with kids sitting in first class, especially if they are well behaved. The kids (and their mom) apparently were just as entitled to the upgrade as you were. Why does it matter that they didn't eat all of their airplane meal? Maybe they just weren't that hungry, or the food was not that appetizing to them. I rarely eat all of mine either, and would hope that other passengers would be too busy minding their own business rather than minding mine.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It actually was a nice flight, and I personally didn't mind, but it was one of those things that got me thinking. I could see a few years...maybe ten years older and it would of been pretty cool to them.

Also I could care less what they or anyone eat, I was just using it as means that they weren't there for the intended F product, but rather just a seat. The 2 year old was pissed Ch 9 wasn't on though...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I've traveled with my son (almost 6 yrs old) in F several times, and it is honestly a fantastic experience.

The FAs absolutely dote on him - which he enjoys, they enjoy, and honestly, puts everyone in a good mood. I've never had a more personalized inflight service! And they were super attentive to the entire cabin since he was the 'draw' out of the galley.

I know nobody thinks 'their kid' is a problem, but he really is a seasoned flyer and well behaved in general. And yes, he ordered (and ate almost all of!) the F meal.

He loved it. And I don't feel even mildly, slightly, one iota guilty about it. He was my companion, and got upgraded with me. My wife was also upgraded via
CPU since I paid for her ticket using my miles (and I hold the PresPlus card.)

Lovely way to go on - and return from - a 2 week vacation.

Edit: oh, and he ABSOLUTELY knows and enjoys the difference! We had a flight to MCO last year to visit the Mouse. That plane is always noisy and he asked me why those kids were being so noisy in the back - don't they know its rude to disturb others?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If I were king of the world, humans under the age of 18 (ok, let's say 13) would be forbidden in premium class airplane cabins as well as airline and hotel lounges.

Babies and little kids don't belong in those settings any more than they do Michelin starred restaurants. I pay for a premium experience, not to be in romper room.

And yes, I have three kids. And no, they did not hang out in premium cabins, lounges or Michelin starred restaurants when I was raising them.
I'm glad I wasn't your kid, because I would've missed missed out on some great experiences.

I enjoyed hanging out with the adults, and it was expected that I act like a little adult. It was also expected that I be dressed well, at least what passed for Sunday best in the gawd awful 1970s.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I'm glad I wasn't your kid, because I would've missed missed out on some great experiences.

I enjoyed hanging out with the adults, and it was expected that I act like a little adult. It was also expected that I be dressed well, at least what passed for Sunday best in the gawd awful 1970s.
Ditto. Have wonderful memories of being in the upstairs lounge on a 747 w/ my dad - listening to him talk to other passengers, conversing with the flight crew.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against behaved kids in F, but some may like to know that some Asian Airlines are having kid free zones on their aircraft. Mostly longer flights. Yes, also in E class. Safe Travels!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by LOCommish
Ditto. Have wonderful memories of being in the upstairs lounge on a 747 w/ my dad - listening to him talk to other passengers, conversing with the flight crew.
I had the same experience, when I flew with my grandparents it was always long/medium haul international F - the FAs doted on you, trips to the cockpit (especially great as I lived on a fighter air force base), and great food. I made sure to be quiet and well-behaved with better table manners than some of the adults around me. I loved the caviar, prawn cocktails and all the 'adult' food.

I'm happy with kids flying anywhere, as long as they are well behaved.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Same. On my ninth birthday I flew First, on the upper deck of a 747 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I'd been terrified of flying in anything that didn't have a propeller (I'm from a very regional background) and had had a real bad flight on a 767 the day before (my first on a jet).

The attention to detail, the FA's doting on me for my birthday, the fake mimosa's, the food and the IFE all contributed a fair bit to my life. I am now no longer afraid of flying (indeed I have a pilot license), plus I got to have a 27 hour birthday :P

To a kid, first class is an experience, they don't take it for granted and actually enjoy it - much more than most adults I see up there these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.