Wiki Posts
Search

Travel itinerary vs confirmed flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards

I'm confused. Usually when I buy an air ticket, I access the airline's website and purchase my ticket, submitting my payment details and all. I get a confirmation e-ticket.

However, for a visa that I will be applying for, it requires that I have a travel itinerary, yet it advises me not to actually buy the ticket until the visa is issued (processing could take as long as two weeks to two months). So how does this work? I don't see anywhere on the airline reservations page(s) where I can say "Hey I just want to reserve this, but I'm not paying!"

Help please?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by flyerhormones
However, for a visa that I will be applying for, it requires that I have a travel itinerary, yet it advises me not to actually buy the ticket until the visa is issued (processing could take as long as two weeks to two months). So how does this work?
If you do have to purchase the tix before getting the visa, perhaps buy a refundable one? If the visa doesn't go through, you at least would get something back. Otherwise, what's wrong with buying this tix after you obtain the visa?

Some folks don't factor in the risk of not getting the required visas when planning their trips. Therefore I consider the "warning" from the visa application site of your said destination a good advice.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by lin821
If you do have to purchase the tix before getting the visa, perhaps buy a refundable one? If the visa doesn't go through, you at least would get something back. Otherwise, what's wrong with buying this tix after you obtain the visa?
Refundables are close to double the price of a restricted ticket so was hoping there would be a solution.

The visa requires evidence of a travel itinerary, yet, not an actual ticket.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:10 am

I think what lin821 means is buy a refundable ticket, cancel it after you get the visa, and then buy the ticket you want.

Is there any risk of the visa being rejected?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond

Book thru travel agent and submit itin. They'll usually hold a booking for a day or two
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by M Singh
Book thru travel agent and submit itin. They'll usually hold a booking for a day or two
So how is it possible to book ticket without a visa?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond

Of course u can book without visa. U can book anything u want. U only have to have the visa for check in.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Please post the details of the trip you are posting. There's a wealth of information on FT, but nobody can really help you if you only pose an abstract question.

1. Origin country
2. Destination country(ies)
3. Connecting country(ies)
4. Nationality
5. Country of residence
6. Do you anticipate any special problems with a visa?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by flyerhormones
The visa requires evidence of a travel itinerary, yet, not an actual ticket.
Exactly.

Do you have difficulty in finding and/or submitting a travel itinerary for your proposed trip without purchasing the actual tix?

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I think what lin821 means is buy a refundable ticket, cancel it after you get the visa, and then buy the ticket you want.
It was implied. OP had to read between my lines.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I use a travel agent for work, and often call to book a ticket and tell them to hold off on ticketing until I get approval from my Boss. They send off an itinerary, and I use that to apply for visas.

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky

Is there any risk of the visa being rejected?
This will work just fine. Also something to keep in mind is that many airlines now let you cancel within 24 hours of booking of any ticket, refundable or non-refundable.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My ticket to ACC a couple years back had a provision in the fare rules which allowed for a complimentary refund in case the visa was rejected. If the OP's fare permits such it could save a lot of hassle with the buy/refund process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.