Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst destination you have visited

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fracmeister
Prior 33 pages= comments by people who have never visited Warri or Port Harcourt.
Then again, that was my opinion until I went to Bissau, capital of Guinea Bissau. This is a desperate place and one devoid of hope.
Tragically, I'm sure there are a number of "worst places ever" to be found in West Africa, along with what I understand to be some wonderful places. Worst I've seen (obv. not West Africa) was Nairobi ca. 2000. I hear that it has changed for the better since then, but at the time, it was just a terribly depressed place surrounded by what looked to be tens if not hundreds of square miles of the most hopeless slums I've ever seen. I've spent significant time in and around slums all over India and Southeast Asia, and never have I seen anything approaching what I can only describe as the humanitarian disaster happening in Nairobi at the time. I'm sure there are worse place, but this is the worst I've seen personally, and it's not even particularly close.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
NYC and LA
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:24 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
New Administrative Capital, Egypt - Egypt is probably the only country I have visited where I left with no desire to return again - while I enjoyed certain moments, the country was generally pretty intimidating with the dusty environment and huge amounts of scary traffic. Still, nothing prepared me for the sheer loneliness of the New Administrative Capital and the creepiness of staying out at the St Regis Almasa - nothing around except lonely construction crews and empty roads.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by BritinJapan
What a load of bull, of course what you describe exists, but there are plenty of very nice places, beaches, islands, restaurants hotels golf courses etc, the Sheraton is excellent for family. and no I did not pay for sex and enjoyed Pattaya
Agree that one can enjoy Pattaya without being a sex tourist, but I have to conclude that it was probably the least attractive place I've been in the country. The beaches are not that nice there, at least in town. Hua Hin, Phuket, Koh Samui were better. I go to Thailand largely for the food, but there were too many low-end touristy places and I didn't enjoy it as much in other cities. Leaving aside Bangkok, of course on another level, I found it easier to get great food in the aforementioned places plus Chiang Mai. Another benefit of Thailand is that hotels at all levels are generally fantastic and a good value, with high service standards -- but that seems to be less true in Pattaya (never tried the Sheraton). I don't mind "seedy" scenes, that's part of the fun, but even there Pattaya was just less intriguing than other cities. I didn't find any bars that seemed to be trying to do something different from everyone else. I don't mind that it has a niche in Thailand, and variety is good, but I doubt I'd choose to go back there over other places in the country.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
New Administrative Capital, Egypt - Egypt is probably the only country I have visited where I left with no desire to return again - while I enjoyed certain moments, the country was generally pretty intimidating with the dusty environment and huge amounts of scary traffic. Still, nothing prepared me for the sheer loneliness of the New Administrative Capital and the creepiness of staying out at the St Regis Almasa - nothing around except lonely construction crews and empty roads.
I've been reading this admittedly old thread some more, and wow, there are some interesting opinions.

One that seems mentioned a lot is Jakarta - I'm there now, and while the traffic situation is a bit ridiculous and I've spent most of my time inside (no walking infrastructure + poor air), I have really enjoyed the hotels, the friendliness of the people, and the food quality seems far higher on average than I experienced in Kuala Lumpur earlier this year (even in the hotels - the Jakartans seem to understand what breakfast should taste like).

I'll add another city to my list of "likely to not return" - Perth in Western Australia - this was my first landing point in Australia, and I was shocked by the seediness and amount of disruptive "anti-social" behavior likely caused by drug use in the city streets. I actually felt unsafe walking alone, which I usually don't. Add to that rather poor hotel execution on average (cleanliness issues at the Westin, poor breakfast quality at the Ritz), and I was quite happy to be heading east to Melbourne. Both of my Uber drivers were friendly, though.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:53 pm

I've been reading this admittedly old thread some more, and wow, there are some interesting opinions.

One that seems mentioned a lot is Jakarta - I'm there now, and while the traffic situation is a bit ridiculous and I've spent most of my time inside (no walking infrastructure + poor air), I have really enjoyed the hotels, the friendliness of the people, and the food quality seems far higher on average than I experienced in Kuala Lumpur earlier this year (even in the hotels - the Jakartans seem to understand what breakfast should taste like).
In which hotels did you have a good Jakarta breakfast?

I'm probably one of a very rare breed to have walked miles and miles of the Big Durian. My lungs hated me for it, but that exploration beats shopping centers most of the time ... that is, until I want the a/c.

I'd say that the area from Pasar Baru and MONAS to Blok M is legit walkable; there are sidewalks. Why anyone else would want to do it is another story. I frequently would take a Kopaja (green city bus) from Jakpus (Central Jakarta) to Blok M, eat, hit up Japanese stores, then walk back north, passing Gelora Bung Karno and Hotplate Harry along the way.

OTOH, much of Jakarta's pedestrian infrastructure has holes in it, leading directly to a splash in their got, or ditches.

Senayan, Setiabudi, and parts of Gunung Sahari also have sidewalks, and PIK/Daan Mogot, but tourists don't generally go to most of those areas.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
In which hotels did you have a good Jakarta breakfast?

I'm probably one of a very rare breed to have walked miles and miles of the Big Durian. My lungs hated me for it, but that exploration beats shopping centers most of the time ... that is, until I want the a/c.

I'd say that the area from Pasar Baru and MONAS to Blok M is legit walkable; there are sidewalks. Why anyone else would want to do it is another story. I frequently would take a Kopaja (green city bus) from Jakpus (Central Jakarta) to Blok M, eat, hit up Japanese stores, then walk back north, passing Gelora Bung Karno and Hotplate Harry along the way.

OTOH, much of Jakarta's pedestrian infrastructure has holes in it, leading directly to a splash in their got, or ditches.

Senayan, Setiabudi, and parts of Gunung Sahari also have sidewalks, and PIK/Daan Mogot, but tourists don't generally go to most of those areas.
I actually did walk from Plaza Indonesia to MONAS (well, more the west side near the National Museum and then I gave up when I couldn't find an entrance to take me east to MONAS) - ended up drenched in sweat and wanted nothing more than a shower.

As for breakfasts, I might be biased as I wrote that as I ate one of the flakiest croissants of my life at the Westin - so good - but I've enjoyed my breakfasts at the Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Alila, Ritz Pacific Place, Sheraton, St Regis, and Westin. Even the breakfast at the Hermitage with its overcooked eggs Benedict was better than some of the best breakfasts I've had in other countries.

I was thinking about my most disliked place in the US and came down to two - St. Louis and New Orleans. St. Louis had the Arch, but it's one of the few places where I've been accosted - a man came up to me and started throwing things at me because I was "gay and standing too close" (note, I was not - my pink shorts must have set him off). New Orleans just seems to have rude hotel service - not in every case - but it seems more common than elsewhere in the US.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

I'll add another city to my list of "likely to not return" - Perth in Western Australia - this was my first landing point in Australia, and I was shocked by the seediness and amount of disruptive "anti-social" behavior likely caused by drug use in the city streets. I actually felt unsafe walking alone, which I usually don't. Add to that rather poor hotel execution on average (cleanliness issues at the Westin, poor breakfast quality at the Ritz), and I was quite happy to be heading east to Melbourne. Both of my Uber drivers were friendly, though.
I had the opposite experience in Perth. I loved the place. It seemed like Los Angeles (the coast and sunshine) but without the seediness.
SPN Lifer and Parterre like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Just came back after a 5 week trip to UK (London), Hungary (Budapest), Finland (Helsinki), USA (New York, Vermont, Denver, Philadelphia and Phoenix), Italy (Pisa), Luxemburg, and France (Nice, Marseille, Nimes, Avignon, Aix en Provence, Toulouse and Montpellier) and have to say that the big cities in France are a real nightmare for tourists on foot, because of dog feaces everywhere on the streets, on pavements and near the trees and green areas..
Impossible to walk or pull your luggage on the streets without stumbling on dog feaces. Third world countries like India, Pakistan, and in Africa and Asia are much cleaner and much more hygienic. I wonder if President Macron ever walks on the streets of his cities! Shame on him!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:30 am

Just had a read through this and I agree with some of them but I'm a bit surprised at some others.

My worst list:

Sao Paolo, Brazil:
Noisy, dirty and inefficient.

Naples, Italy:
This is just not a first world city. Absolutely desperate place. Terrible living conditions - children dressed in rags begging on the streets. The worst driving standards I have ever seen in Europe.

Marseilles, France:
Not quite as bad as Naples, but still a rat hole. Dog muck all over the pavements. Didn't feel safe.

New Orleans, USA:
A cross between the seedy red light districts of London and the arse end of Paris.

Dishonourable mentions:

Brussels, Belgium:
Run down, dirty, not much to see. Decent beer though.

San Francisco, USA:
Not as bad as New Orleans but a disappointment.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Greenwood, MS.
Atlantic City
Las Vegas
Florida

Places to return to: Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis (Shame about the winters though.)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Can't believe no one has mentioned Battle Mountain, Nevada. It was named the "Worst Place in America" in an article in the Washington Post's Sunday magazine in 2001. The kicker was the front page picture, which showed a lighted Shell gas station sign at the edge of town, in which the "S" was burned out.

In the article, the letter nominating the town said, "Take a small town, remove any trace of history, character, or charm. Allow nothing with any redeeming qualities within city limits -- this includes food, motel beds, service personnel. Then place this pathetic assemblage of ghastly buildings and nasty people on a freeway in the midst of a harsh, uninviting wilderness, far enough from the nearest city to be inconvenient, but not so far for it to develop a character of its own. You now have created Battle Mountain, Nevada."

To quote from wikipedia:
"In December 2001, The Washington Post published an article by Gene Weingarten titled "Why Not The Worst?" that popularly titled Battle Mountain as the "Armpit of America".[25] The town used the unofficial title as a publicity opportunity, and hosted an annual "Armpit Festival" from 2002–2005, which was sponsored by Old Spice and awarded deodorant-themed prizes to participants."

By sheer coincidence, I had actually visited there about 1-2 years before the article, passing through during a driving trip in the area, and generally agree with the sentiments.

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Oct 16, 2023 at 3:28 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
OK, writing here 10 years later, after re-reading all 34 pages, and have the following to say (a long text coming):

People who wrote XYZ is 'the worst place on Earth' because of ( the list follows) speaks about these people more than about the places they've mentioned.

oh the enduring horror... 'This place is the worst place on earth because it does not have a golf course' or 'I could not get cheap alcohol in Pakistan' or (gasp) 'they cheated me at money exchange', list goes on... I will never go back to NYC, Paris, Rome!!!

I am in my mid-50s. I have two passports from two countries - in one I had >140 border crossing stamps. In another - >110. I lived in 23 different places in the last 35 years, including living in five different countries, and spent >10 years living in SEA until coming back to the US, and know what - I went to buy a house and live in the highlands of Reno.

You have no idea how much Reno has changed in the last 10-15 years. While people are running away from California, here housing prices have doubled and tripled in the last 15 years - house prices on Arrowcreek rivals Palo Alto. Whole new industries and technology parks have been built in and around - from Tesla Gigafactory, and Polaris, to Equinox datacenters and FedEx/Walmart distribution centers. A huge number of events happening in the city itself - from Hot August Nights to Little Biggest FurCon (if you really want to feel normal for the day, recommend spending at least one hour at GSR when the event is happening).

And in the Highlands where I live - I see from my deck mountains that are 100 miles away. I can see the Milky Way with my own eyes every night, assuming no clouds, I have wonderful neighbors who are always ready to come and help - from cleaning the driveway when your snowblower is broken to helping to fix plumbing and electric wiring. The list goes on.

I had a great time at almost all the places I and my wife/our friends visited or lived, with probably three exceptions (*). And the reason why I (and others) had such a good time - low expectations.

If you are not aware, there is such a thing - Paris Syndrome, to quote the Wiki article:

Paris syndrome is a sense of extreme disappointment exhibited by some individuals when visiting Paris, who feel that the city was not what they had expected. The condition is commonly viewed as a severe form of culture shock.
If you have not seen a
, highly recommend to watch it, but the summary is in one sentence - 'key for happiness - low expectations'.

Several years ago, I and my wife went for three days holiday to Karimun Island - I guarantee that you have not heard about this place. If you think in Batam there is nothing to do, well, compared to Karimun Batam is a Vegas Strip, you can get an idea by reading this thread on Tripadvisor forums.

But know what - I and my wife went and had a wonderful time. Because - it was like getting into a time machine and being transported back 60 years. The local transport is a minivan without doors where people smoke inside. In the biggest local shop (that has whole two stories) you can buy candy in the shape of cigarettes (just bringing this as a fact, not saying I like/don't like it). Locals were so not used to Western tourists that they were coming to take photos with us. You could get a unique local craft at the night market at midnight. Seafood was outstanding at the price of $25 for a 5-course meal for two people and we could not finish it was so much. You could get truly local hand-made Kueh Lapis. We truly could enjoy 'doing nothing'.

Another example. I and my wife went the first time in South Africa for a week in 2016. We had such a great time that returned with our family friend and did a road trip covering over 4000km during three weeks period, starting from Kruger and its surroundings to Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. Do I need to mention that we had a great time again?

I hiked in the jungles of Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia and loved it. I was in Bali, specifically Ubud five times and loved it every time - stayed in 3br villa with a pool, daily breakfast, and housekeeping included for $100/day. Had a blast with downhill biking, swimming in waterfalls, hiking at rice paddies, and visiting temples away from tourist areas. I never got cheated at money exchange because got the local currency only at the recommended ATMs at bank offices and at money exchange booths that had been recommended by out host.

Someone mentioned Elko. Well, I was in Elko yesterday, for the eclipse and plan to go back because the town and the area next to it are so interesting and the locals were so friendly. One of the best coffees in the US I had at Cowboy Joe.. There are very interesting murals and street art in the downtown area. Several shops have huge highly colorful boot statues in front of them. There is Cowboy Poetry event annually. Pasties at BJ Bull Bakery are to die for for $4.25. And on the top of everything - after the eclipse spent half a day at Lamoille Canyon which has incredible beauty with multi-color aspen trees on the slopes of the canyon and fresh snow on the ground.

(*) All the above said, the only places I consider not going back to are places that were unsafe and/or locals were either openly/semi-openly hostile/judgmental towards visitors or foreigners or tried to defraud/take advantage of them on every occasion. Three such places are:
  • Supai, Arizona (hostile)
  • Moscow, Russia (hostile, xenophobic, and racist - I can provide examples of local anecdotes in Russian but I am risking being banned)
  • Phuket, Thailand (scams and fraud towards tourists/foreigners).

Thanks for reading all this.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 16, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
When I went to hangzhou in 2001, a few years before the most expensive Mercedes was sold there, I couldn’t comprehend the severe poverty. It was stunning after being in Guangzhou. The hordes of beggars at the train station was very stunning. I also recall seeing a handless beggar on the train. He must have had hooks to hold his hat.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
When I went to hangzhou in 2001, a few years before the most expensive Mercedes was sold there, I couldn’t comprehend the severe poverty. It was stunning after being in Guangzhou. The hordes of beggars at the train station was very stunning. I also recall seeing a handless beggar on the train. He must have had hooks to hold his hat.
You'd not be able to recognize Hangzhou today then, one of the most modern and clean cities in the world and a hub for China's IT industry.

I can't really think of a place I've been to that I'd say is absolutely terrible, every place I've been has some redeeming quality that makes it at least a little bit interesting. Bland, expensive European cities are my least favorite (places like Zurich, Dublin, Luxembourg, etc) but even those places have something interesting to see or eat or drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.