Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Exit Row: Willing and able. How do I know?

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cattle Class

Hi,

Was in the exit row, and to the "willing and able" question responded that yes, I am willing but cannot be 100% positive that able since never tried. Was booted from the exit window to the E+ middle seat.
How anyone can be sure that he/she is able to assist unless they've done it. Am I missing something?
And my apologies if this post is not in the right forum.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Awtas
Hi,

Was in the exit row, and to the "willing and able" question responded that yes, I am willing but cannot be 100% positive that able since never tried. Was booted from the exit window to the E+ middle seat.
How anyone can be sure that he/she is able to assist unless they've done it. Am I missing something?
Are you willing/able to assist to the best of your abilities?
Do you have an impediment that would limit you?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
The "able" question can actually be scoped pretty narrowly to "can you lift 50 pounds?". (Or whatever weight is indicated on the exit door.) It seems like it might have been faster to clarify rather than to reseat you.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
If you can lift 20 pounds (or whatever the weight of the window is), then you are able. If you are not suicidal (which by sitting at the exit row, clearly you aren't ) then you are willing.

Next time, say yes, nod approvingly, and enjoy the leg room.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think this is a common sense thing. The roles and duties are printed on both the booking and check-in screen and on the exit row briefing card. One must analyze their own status and abilities and determine in a crisis/emergency situation, would they be able to execute the instructions (which include opeating the latch mechanism and lifting a 40 lb. door) without endangering others. Yes, I have never had to evacuate an aircraft in an emercency situation, but I have been in other stressful situations and I didn't suffer a panic attack or curl up into a ball. I understand English, can follow instructions, do not travel with children under 15, can read and understand how to open a door, and I can lift a weight aproximate to that of an exit door. So, I sit in exit rows. If any of the above were not true (let's say I broke my arm or was travelling with my 10 year old niece), I would not.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I would say that if you have to ask the question, then there is at least part of you that makes you not the right person to be there. It's an analysis thing. The sign on the door tells you how many pounds the door is, there are instructions on either bringing the door into the cabin or putting it outside the aircraft and there are instructions on how to unlatch the door. If you analyze your known capabilities (I can lift 34lbs unassisted) vs. the listed requirements and cannot come to the conclusion that you are able, then you should move.

TBH, the analysis doesn't seem that hard. YMMV.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Hi,

If you read the safety brochure it tells you the weight and procedure.. if you are not certain you can perform those duties the some one able to perform those duties in the case of an emergency should be seated there..

haha *snap* with the above poster!

Last edited by cyclogenesis; Jan 25, 2013 at 7:52 am Reason: Wrote exactly the same thing as the previous poster
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the newer 737s you don't even have to lift anything; just pop the handle and get out of the way as the windows swings out on its own. For the door exits it is important to let go as the slide inflates and pulls the door away from you, lest you get yanked out of the plane before the slide finishes inflating.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the responds.
But if no one tried it, how can they be 100% sure.
The response should then be "I think I am able" )
If the questions was "can you lift 50 pounds or 25 kgs?" or "to the best of your abilities..." it's much easier to answer.

Anyway, next time I will just say yes. It looks that I got reseated just for trying to be honest
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
But if no one tried it, how can they be 100% sure.
The response should then be "I think I am able" )
If the questions was "can you lift 50 pounds or 25 kgs?" or "to the best of your abilities..." it's much easier to answer.

Anyway, next time I will just say yes. It looks that I got reseated just for trying to be honest
You need to use common sense. I am a scientist and I can see your argument. But you also have to understand that if you do not answer simply in the affirmative you will not be permitted to sit in an exit row..

I used to be like you and be precise with my answers.. it got me into all kinds of trouble..

And the question varies as well.. The question is do you meet the requirements?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
The question is do you meet the requirements?
I believe the requirements are:
15 years or older;
Understand instructions in English (US airlines);
Able to lift the weight of the door.

I told FA that I do meet the requirements and yes, I wanted to be precise with my answer and got into trouble for that
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
But if no one tried it, how can they be 100% sure...
If you don't know then it is technically not lying when you say yes.

If you know you are not able, then it is lying ... but we talk about airlines here and lying is standard practice .... I cannot fathom where the problem could come in.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I respect your candor. Would have been a bit peeved to be ejected from Exit row, to be sure.

One Air Canada FA told me, under no circumstances should I open the hatch if there was a raging inferno outside. That was a bit unnerving.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has to be a fair self-assessment of one's abilities when asked. It's certainly possible that the conditions leading to the emergency might render an exit row occupant "unable" (injuries, loss of consciousness, death) to perform the duties listed. So a true pedant might respond: "Well, I'm able now, but who knows what shape I'll be in following a plane crash?"

With no disrespect to Nancy Reagan intended, just say "Yes".
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Pilot: "Passengers, this is an emergency, please evacuate!"

OP: "But how do I know it's an emergency?"

We all remember that guy from the front row of the lecture hall in college...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.