Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your travel bucket list

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Your travel bucket list

So what is everyones bucket list of places to visit, and things to do? Here are mine.

1) I have always wanted to but am currently have a trip planned for Italy in August
2) Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef
3) Visit Hong Kong- I would love to try all the unique foods
4) Japan- Want to go and would still enjoy it even w/o amusement parks
5) Bali, Indonesia- Looks beautiful and so peaceful
6) Stay in Dubai at the Burj Al Arab
7) See Machu Picchu in Peru
8) Stay at a hotel on the water on stilts
9) Do an Alaska Cruise
10) Visit the places from LOTR and The Hobbit in New Zealand.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by edh101985
So what is everyones bucket list of places to visit, and things to do? Here are mine.

1) I have always wanted to but am currently have a trip planned for Italy in August
2) Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef
3) Visit Hong Kong- I would love to try all the unique foods
4) Japan- Want to go and would still enjoy it even w/o amusement parks
5) Bali, Indonesia- Looks beautiful and so peaceful
6) Stay in Dubai at the Burj Al Arab
7) See Machu Picchu in Peru
8) Stay at a hotel on the water on stilts
9) Do an Alaska Cruise
10) Visit the places from LOTR and The Hobbit in New Zealand.
Climb Mount Everest has always been on mine. Used to be you had to be an elite climber but now, if you train and are in good shape, you can pay someone a crap-load of money to haul you up to the summit. It's never going to happen for me now but has always been a dream.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Greenland - kayaking and hiking
Galapagos
Artic Circle - see polar bears and walrus
Bhutan
Russia - St. Petersburg and Kamchatka
Mongolia
New Zealand
Tasmania (snorkel with the giant cuttlefish, backpack)
South Georgia (Antarctica)
Tristan da Cunha (just because I remember the cool postage stamps)
Amazon and the Pantanal
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
There is only 1 now.. Antarctica..
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Subscribed.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

Malta, for their annual fireworks festival.

Spain, Italy and Japan for their fireworks manufacturing.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:48 pm

I want to repeat so many trips that I've already taken but my must sees that I haven't been to are:
Visit my heritage countries: Denmark (never been), Iceland (never been), Belgium (visited 40 years ago without knowledge of family history to explore my Dad's roots).
Next: A few exotic areas: Bali, Maldives, Easter Island
South America: Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands (hopefully planning for 2014)

And the list grows day by day.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:46 am

My bucket list is immense and ever-growing. Unfortunately, regular life gets in the way of me taking more than a couple international trips per year. Stupid job...

• Iceland and Greenland (Tentatively set for June)
  • South Georgia
  • Patagonia
  • Vietnam
  • Bhutan
  • Kerguelen
  • Svalbard
  • Northern Canada (Ellesmere, Baffin, etc...)

These are just a few. I have a fascination, as of late, with remote Arctic destinations. I honestly can't wait to retire so I can blow all of my savings on constant travel.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My bucket list is to visit every country in the world. To actually spend some time in each, not just to land and take off again. At 67 and not taking just taking off and going it's probably not gonna be possible. Off Wednesday to the Maldives and Sri Lanka (with repeat stop in Bangkok for cooking school at Blue Elephant). So far I'm close to 90 of the 194 sovereign (and counting) countries.

Hoped for destinations this year: Armenia, Georgia, Azerbijian; west Africa (though those destinations are narrowing), High Sierra camps in Yosemite (repeat).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't really have a bucket list...it's just a constantly evolving list of priorities.

Some ones in mind for the next few years:

- We've been pretty focused on international travel for the past few years, so now I'm starting to get an itch to do some of the great American/Canadian roadtrips, mostly in the Northwest but potentially a good Northeastern one as well... Kids are almost the right age for this: I imagine we will do a few of these in the coming years.

- The Galapagos has always been on my list, although as I understand it at the current time there's really no way to use miles/points for this. This one will probably wait a few years.

- At some point, I want to go back to Nepal and do some serious trekking. High altitude, Everest region. We did a short trek this fall (lower altitude) and talked to several people on their way out to a 21-28 day trek. Finding time for this will always be the biggest challenge. Probably mix Bhutan and (if it's politically possible) Tibet into this trip as well.

- One of these years, I need to grab one of those Icelandair long-weekend special offers. Could take the whole family for this one, the fares are sometimes so low. Seems like a cool place to go, even if it's just for 4 nights...

- Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa, Kenya, Kilimanjaro, Zambia/Victoria Falls, etc. Another one it's going to be tough to find the necessary 4 to 6 weeks to properly do...

- Antarctica. Would like to run the Antarctica Marathon one of these years...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:34 am

what's on your bucket list?

i've made some rather random travel decisions to go to a place and figure out what i'm going to do there later - which usually involves a lot of browsing on tripadvisor. recently i just happened to be in kuala lumpur during thaipusam, which was quite an interesting experience, and certainly not something i'd find on there.

i'd much rather prefer to try and attend or see or do some kind of travel experience whether small to large - and i'm wondering what kind of cool experiences and bucket list items you guys may have done or plan to do so that i can collect more fun things to add to my own bucket list.

my own rather randomly ordered BL is here:
http://www.igobyplane.com/bucket-list/
and i'm looking for fun things to add to it.

i would say as a car guy a trip to the nurburgring is an absolute must!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Smithsonian in DC. I want to see the Hope Diamond.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by chollie
Tristan da Cunha (just because I remember the cool postage stamps)
It's great to see someone else having dream destinations based on postage stamps. I collected stamps as a kid and that probably has something to do with some of my wanderlust.

A couple places with unique stamps that inspired me as a kid to make me want to visit someday are:
Bhutan (awesome big metal foil stamps)
Sharjah (lots of cool triangular stamps)

Anybody else with stamp-collecting as travel inspiration?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:31 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyernick
It's great to see someone else having dream destinations based on postage stamps. I collected stamps as a kid and that probably has something to do with some of my wanderlust.

A couple places with unique stamps that inspired me as a kid to make me want to visit someday are:
Bhutan (awesome big metal foil stamps)
Sharjah (lots of cool triangular stamps)

Anybody else with stamp-collecting as travel inspiration?
I've actually become more interested in a place after buying a stamp there. Highlights include a military-themed "envelope" stamp from Turkish Cyprus, and a commemorative series showcasing Nicaraguan bridges built by the Japanese.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Independent
I have toned mine down substantially, and yet I still find myself slipping further and further behind. Ironically it has more to do with aircraft and flying than with the destinations themselves.

1) Fly Singapore Air in at least Business Class
2) Fly on a A380
3) Fly in a 747 nose seat
4) Fly in a suite (doesn't even need to be overnight)
5) Get back to either the Big Island or Maui
6) See a real German Christmas Market
7) Once more watch a nice evening thunderstorm from a plane
8) See a United Visual Artists installation
9) See the Turkish Airlines Lounge
10) See a World's Fair

Everything else is really just added bonus. Fortunately I think I can knock off several of those with one nice trip if I can manage to save up enough. Alas with my life and pay, that does not seem to be happening quick enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.