Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I Allowed To Bring and Consume Mini-Bottles of Alcohol on a Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Allowed To Bring and Consume Mini-Bottles of Alcohol on a Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
You can sit next to me, I will shield you anytime in E+ if you share.

FYI, I am doing a trial run of this next week, I need to save a few pennies, 6 drinks at $7 each on a 2 hour fly is adding up. Then I have another 3 hour flight for another 6.
You plan on consuming 12 drinks in 5 hours? Let's forget that for a minute. How are you going to get 12 mini-bottles through security? It's one thing to try to save a few bucks, but it's another to binge on a flight. Ignoring the legality of this, I would be concerned to be seated next to someone drinking that much on such as short flight.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Why not just buy a 1st class ticket? Then, all your drinks will be free.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:10 am

How about this solution? Lets say you buy 5 or 6 or so mini bottles and get them through security. Can you make a large drink right before boarding and take it on with you?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edh101985
How about this solution? Lets say you buy 5 or 6 or so mini bottles and get them through security. Can you make a large drink right before boarding and take it on with you?
You would be surprised what people really have in those coffee cups.

A bar in Vegas airport used to pour you triple mixed drinks in a coffee cup for carry on
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by badjuju
...Let's forget that for a minute. How are you going to get 12 mini-bottles through security?...
Just a data point, I make rum for a living and have found that travelling with a bag full of minis is a great way to thank people I frequently interact with while flying, I even take flavour requests now from some people. But I can easily fit 10 bottles into a standard bag and could probably do 12 without much extra work, TSA / Customs never blinks an eye at having them in the first place or the quantity.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:25 am

I was reading through this wondering when someone was going to mention this, seems like the best way to me.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I'm not encouraging this practice... but just be a bit careful. Drinking orange juice from a Pepsi bottle can look suspicious.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Just to throw another scenario out there that I have seen in the premium cabins on some airlines...bring your own bottle of wine, ask the FA to open it and serve it to you and you're set. Not sure how many FAs would be willing to do this in this day and age, but as long as it's served by the crew, you're still within the FAA regs.

There are threads about this in some of the airline-specific forums (I've seen them in AA and DL, for example).
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
As another said, I don't go to great lengths to hide it, and I certainly don't flaunt it, but I have done this, too. I don't see the big deal if we're talking about a responsible adult here.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

I've done this several times and have just found out it was illegal after reading this thread. I'll use more discretion next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.