Reload this Page >

When I am king... every hotel shower's controls will be obvious how to operate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

And...

1. It will be utterly obvious how the bath's/shower's plumbing works, even when in a too-early, jet-lagged, pre-caffeinated state.
2. All hotels will be required to have the same fixtures.
3. The showerhead will deliver adequate pressure without resorting to guerrilla plumbing.

Thank you.

/rant
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I could not agree more. I have never seen so many bizarre looking, impossible to operate controls over the last few years. The only reason I take the wife with me when I travel is to turn the stupid things on for me.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Completely agree. At my last hotel, I had to ask how to turn the shower on. It turned out that I had not seen the tiny instructions attached to the far right bottom of the bathroom mirror.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Don't forget to include on the list: adequate hot water to mix in with the cold water.

I've had a few ridiculously cold showers at some hotels. Last year it was some Chicago-area Ramada which was completely full -- so given my very early morning flight out of ORD and untimely discovery of the issue with the shower (but less so with the sink), changing hotels was not an option.

Another thing with some hotel and airline lounge showers which I would rather not see: showers that require being reactivated every 30-60 seconds or perhaps every couple of minutes to get the water to flow again.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
showers that require being reactivated every 30-60 seconds.
You'd get longer in a Submarine
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I figure that I'll probably get an additional five years before Alzheimer's hits from decoding hotel showers. If I hadn't given up on the radios, I'd be set for life.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Completely agree.

I recently spent a good five minutes looking for the controls to the rain shower at the Andaz in Shanghai only to discover that some genius had decided it would be most logical to place them outside the shower. Adjusting the temperature thus required running in and out of the shower, dripping water everywhere in the process.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:25 pm

When I went faucet/shower fixture shopping a few years ago, the most sensible shower thermostat I've seen is a single dial that goes counter-clockwise from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock, with the ideal temperature being somewhere around 12 o'clock. It's not possible to get low-pressure hot water with this dial but I don't find that to be necessary. The shower thermostats with two knobs are too hard to use as changing the temperature requires a balancing act between the two knobs and the area around the hot water knob is usually scathing hot (the hot water flows right behind it).

I have no idea why everybody doesn't switch to these kinds of shower thermostats.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Nearly all hotels I've stayed in there is a single faucet, which blends hot into cold. I recently stayed in one that did the opposite, I almost got scalded when I turned the shower on. [Since I have stayed in that hotel many times in the past, I believe a "glitch" occured when they connected the plumbing for that room.]
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
When we had the kitchen redone the plumber asked if we wanted the hot on the left and cold on the right or the other way around. I thought it was a strange request, since most of the time it's hot on the left unless somebody is really lazy and does it backwards (or so I thought).

He told me that while hot on the left is the most common, he gets many requests from people who want it the other way, and has even had people pay him to come in and just switch it in a place they moved into.

If we all can't agree if it's hot on the left or right (I say left) there's no way anything else will be agreed to.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I really hate those showers you have to turn on the water when you are inside the shower. I want to feel the temperature of the water before I get in.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Nearly all hotels I've stayed in there is a single faucet, which blends hot into cold. I recently stayed in one that did the opposite, I almost got scalded when I turned the shower on. [Since I have stayed in that hotel many times in the past, I believe a "glitch" occured when they connected the plumbing for that room.]
In some places, one little thing can end up switched to make cold-into-hot the mixing standard even after the plumbers had properly set it to be "hot-into-cold". It could be a fault that didn't show up when they connected the plumbing and tested it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by EricH
I figure that I'll probably get an additional five years before Alzheimer's hits from decoding hotel showers. If I hadn't given up on the radios, I'd be set for life.
Actually, research shows that brain exercise has some amount of protective effect against senility, so complicated showers and radios could be the hotel's way (along with fitness rooms) of improving guest's health!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
And the shower heads will be high enough that I don't hit my head, or even shoulder, on it. I'm not even that tall, only 5'10"!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Completely agree. At my last hotel, I had to ask how to turn the shower on. It turned out that I had not seen the tiny instructions attached to the far right bottom of the bathroom mirror.
If you need to provide instructions on how to operate your shower, you have a serious design issue. Just sayin.

I have to say one of my biggest annoyances is height. I am only 6 ft so I am not overly tall. But I do want to be able to wash my hair without having to perform some kind of acrobatic contortion just to get my head under the nozzle. Or is that a way of keeping us in shape?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.