Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Infants-in-Arms...it's time to end this madness.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infants-in-Arms...it's time to end this madness.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:49 am

Knee jerk reaction to a 1 in a million event with people calling for new laws and regulations.

How many babies died in plane crashes over the past week? 1.

How many babies died in car crashes over the past week? I don't know, but I can safely assume it's a lot more than 1.

Calm down OP.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by pinniped
... they'd restrict the infant rules to flights within a fairly narrow distance range - say, 300 to 600 miles...
Without jumping into this dogfight with both feet, something like this would actually be a good idea. I have shared rows with mother/lap child combos several times on short flights with no problems. OTOH, several years ago, I flew back from Japan-USA with a lap infant directly behind me. That was the most miserable 11+ hours in my air travel life and I couldn't really blame the baby. The mom and adjacent "auntie," I could definitely blame. That is just too long to expect any child to stay in a lap.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Knee jerk reaction to a 1 in a million event with people calling for new laws and regulations.

Calm down OP.
+1

People reacting like the OP blow my mind. You can't expect to have the government or others have a regulation for every possible unlikely scenario. This is a freak accident that does not require a change that would affect millions of people. It's not like parents are prohibited from purchasing another ticket/seat for their child. People are free to weigh the risks and decide for themselves.

On a side note, I do think that airlines could institute some policy to makes things a little easier for parents to get a reserved seat for the child on a space-available basis. For example they could offer an infant fare at 10% the adult fare which would allow you to reserve an extra seat for the infant. The seat would still be up for sale, but in the event of the flight being under capacity, you could hold an empty seat right next to you. If the flight does fill up and that seat is sold, the 10% fee is refunded.

Many airlines will allow you to bring a car seat on for a lap infant if there are seats available, but that usually means moving people around to get 2 seats together.

Last edited by roknroll; Dec 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
And that's probably why the U.S. regulation has settled upon 2 years old. It is a middle ground that balances the drive vs. fly fatality data with aviation safety/evacuation and inflight comfort factors.

There are a couple cities for us that were flights with no kids that are now drives with 2 kids. (Minneapolis, Chicago) We took a lot of trips with infants, although we got pretty good and selecting such off-peak flights that the kids almost always had a seat to themselves. But I completely see how the regulations alter the mix of fliers and drivers. It certainly did for us.

If they really wanted to create a complex regulation, they'd restrict the infant rules to flights within a fairly narrow distance range - say, 300 to 600 miles. That's where the real drive vs. fly decision is made. Infant rules aren't causing people with 3-year-olds to drive SFO-NYC. When we want to go to the East Coast (say, 950 miles to DC), it's always a flight - period. When we want to go to St. Louis (250 miles), it's always a drive. It's really these 6-8 hour drives where you think about the pros and cons of drive vs. fly.

(No, I don't actually want them to create a complex regulation. )
Such a complex regulation would also lead to increased deaths of infants. As it is people do take trips in cars because it may be cheaper per passenger seat mile to sometimes drives even much longer than 600 miles than fly the same distance. Increase the cost for people to fly -- as the mentioned complex regulation would do -- and driving becomes a more frequently selection option that increases the risks of accidental death for infants.

The madness that needs to end is the emotional overreaction that would increase deaths.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:19 pm

Good responses here...

One small point however.... While flying is no doubt safer than driving, the use of "distance travelled per fatality" as the measure of proof worries me somewhat...

....as it has been pointed out that by THAT measure (in isolation) the Apollo missions to the moon were the "safest" form of transport ever devised...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:42 pm

Since the whole interference argument has been pretty much debunked as the reason for no electronics under 10,000 feet, the other reason commonly given is that you don't want someone's electronic device flying through the cabin in the event of a crash during take off or landing.

Fair enough. But if I can't use my iPad during takeoff or landing because it might become a projectile, then it makes no sense to allow infant in arms. Maybe babies need to be safely stowed in the overhead cabins during takeoff and landing.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tommyleo
That said, there must be a way to attach a child onto the parent's seat belt. That way, the parent will not have to buy another seat and the baby will be restrained.
There is:

http://babybair.com/product.html
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why don't school buses have seat belts?

Discuss.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Discuss.
fresh out of popcorn from the DL SkyMiles Change Rumor thread... be back in a sec after running to the store

On a similar note, it is legal for parents to carry their infants on buses and shuttles, and sometimes even in taxi cabs.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Do parents realize that in an emergency landing, that infants have to go under the seats as if they are luggage? A hard/crash landing and the adult would likely crush the kid and/or lose control and the kid becomes airborne.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by trooper
Good responses here...

One small point however.... While flying is no doubt safer than driving, the use of "distance travelled per fatality" as the measure of proof worries me somewhat...

....as it has been pointed out that by THAT measure (in isolation) the Apollo missions to the moon were the "safest" form of transport ever devised...
We can't use the Apollo missions for any kind of comparison because (1) the sample size is tiny and (2) each mission was experimental in its own way. Auto and air travel are routine, highly occurring events.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by roknroll
People reacting like the OP blow my mind. You can't expect to have the government or others have a regulation for every possible unlikely scenario. This is a freak accident that does not require a change that would affect millions of people. It's not like parents are prohibited from purchasing another ticket/seat for their child. People are free to weigh the risks and decide for themselves.
There's a reason we don't (or shouldn't) make sweeping rules in response to isolated, emotion-evoking incidents. The math and logic behind the status quo policy are clear enough. Especially irksome is the melodramatic defense of extreme regulatory ideas, "If it saves one [person's] [child's] [baby's] [cat's] life, it's worth it." No it isn't. Every rule and regulation in society is based on some cold calculus about how much life we are willing to lose in return for certain advantages.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
CAA requires all infants in arms to be attached to the adult seat belt by a lap belt.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
There's a reason we don't (or shouldn't) make sweeping rules in response to isolated, emotion-evoking incidents. The math and logic behind the status quo policy are clear enough. Especially irksome is the melodramatic defense of extreme regulatory ideas, "If it saves one [person's] [child's] [baby's] [cat's] life, it's worth it." No it isn't. Every rule and regulation in society is based on some cold calculus about how much life we are willing to lose in return for certain advantages.
From what I can tell, at least some of the calls for not allowing for lap-child infants on planes is coming from people who want to see fewer infants on board planes -- seated or not -- for reasons that probably have nothing to do with safety.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
CAA requires all infants in arms to be attached to the adult seat belt by a lap belt.
That is pretty much a standard European requirement for lap-child infants on planes.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Discuss.
In some places they do.

Some other kinds of buses that are used to service passengers even have in-built flip chairs that become child/infant seats -- this I find quite often in some parts of Scandinavia when using some kinds of bus services to/from some airports.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
If the rationale of the baby rule is to save more lives from car accidents, then I don't understand why the U.S. government doesn't invest in rail to allow for safe travel in and between nearby cities. Think of how many lives that would save. I am all for the cold calculus of numbers, but it doesn't seem to be applied consistently to public transit, but rather, to benefit the airline industry. Just one administrative law lawyer's observation .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.