Wiki Posts
Search

Pseudo - poll: Baggage claim publicly accessible or PAX only

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

In my travels it seems that only in the USA are the baggage claim areas publicly accessible. That is in most countries the only people allowed in the baggage claim areas are passengers and airport employees. As such, passengers must get their bags and then exit into a public area. Given that theft is an issue (ala the recent events at Atlanta) I am wondering what FTers think about having airports in the USA move to such a terminal layout.

I ask because SLC is redoing their terminal and while theft is a concern I would much prefer to wait for my bags without the hoards of people waiting for passengers around. As such, it was something I thought I would bring up.

Thoughts from other FT?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I guess I'd wonder what you're doing that it takes you longer to get to the baggage claim than it takes your baggage. I personally worry about the TSA and airline employees stealing my bags more than anyone else - they're the ones with the means to figure out what bag has good stuff in it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
At Australian airports baggage claims are public spaces, heavily monitored, but public spaces...

What is the prevalence of theft from baggage claims? I think the chances of lost baggage are greater.. (non scientific, non fact based claim)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:42 am

While I wouldn't be shocked of instances where non passengers are walking in and swiping luggage, I think a far more likely problem is a passenger grabbing a bag that they think is theirs and leaving before they realize they have someone elses. I'm guessing this happens far more often than theft from non-passengers.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Asia Miles

i agree totally with flyingundertheradar that baggage claim must be only accessible to passengers.. there is always a chance of theft .. for instance in india non travellers are not even allowed inside terminal building .. only passengers
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If the concern is theft, or accidentally grabbing the wrong bag, a better system is to have security personnel checking bag tags against bag claim slips upon exit.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you live in the US and arrive in a foreign airport you may assume that they are only accessible to passengers because you have to go through customs and the rest (much like if you arrive in the US bags are not accessible to everybody, only to passengers).

If however you don't clear customs in many of those foreign airports it is accessible to everybody.

I think the best solution is what is done at some airports, where the red coats or whatever are at the exit from baggage claim checking the tags against your claim check. This way you can meet your party at the claim area, they can help you with your bags, etc.

Theft from airports is pretty rare, in the Atlanta story for example they said

Atlanta police are charged with security at Hartsfield Jackson. Their commander says stolen bags reported to them are actually rare

"This year we've reported 30 luggage thefts, bagge thefts, and of those 30 we've made 10 arrests on that. So of the 250,000 people that come to Atlanta a day, that's statistically not that much, but more than we'd like to have," said Major Lane Hagin.

So the airlines probably don't see it as a problem worth spending the money to stop.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I think I've seen some airports that have a person checking bag tags against boarding passes as people leave the area, but that was a while ago. I don't check bags, so I really don't pay much attention.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
The comment about check baggage tags upon exit would certainly be helpful but in my experience publicly accessible baggage claim areas have multiple doors and other exit points that such a system is impracticable as each door/exit point would need to be staffed.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
At the airports I've seen people checking tags, the baggage claim area is open, but fenced in with two or three entry points. They staff those points and check to see that people leaving with tags have a claim check or ID that matches the baggage tag. It's certainly not impractical at the airports that use to do it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I think I've seen some airports that have a person checking bag tags against boarding passes as people leave the area, but that was a while ago. I don't check bags, so I really don't pay much attention.
My empirical observation is that this pretty much ended at most/all airports after 9/11 when any/all security personnel were re-deployed to entry points rather than exit points. My thought was they stopped caring about bag theft and became only focused on perceived flying threats at that point.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I don't recall seeing people check baggage tags upon exit in at least 15 years, maybe longer. It would be interesting to see a few exit lines with machines that scan your tag so you can ensure you have the correct bags and so the airline can accurately account for the whereabouts of each piece of checked luggage.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lovely15
I guess I'd wonder what you're doing that it takes you longer to get to the baggage claim than it takes your baggage.
Rest room stop when there's a queue at said rest room, and it's an, um, "extended visit"...and it's an airport with a long walk between the gates and the claim area.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by swag
If the concern is theft, or accidentally grabbing the wrong bag, a better system is to have security personnel checking bag tags against bag claim slips upon exit.
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The comment about check baggage tags upon exit would certainly be helpful but in my experience publicly accessible baggage claim areas have multiple doors and other exit points that such a system is impracticable as each door/exit point would need to be staffed.
Originally Posted by cordelli
At the airports I've seen people checking tags, the baggage claim area is open, but fenced in with two or three entry points. They staff those points and check to see that people leaving with tags have a claim check or ID that matches the baggage tag. It's certainly not impractical at the airports that use to do it.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I don't recall seeing people check baggage tags upon exit in at least 15 years, maybe longer. It would be interesting to see a few exit lines with machines that scan your tag so you can ensure you have the correct bags and so the airline can accurately account for the whereabouts of each piece of checked luggage.
The international terminal at SFO definitely has facilities for checking claimed bags (by facilities I mean a stool and one of those podium-style desks). I don't check bags so I don't really notice but on a few occasions when I was traveling with someone who did, someone actually does check randomly. I say randomly because they usually just do one of those TSA scribbles on the stub and wave you off.

This was definitely after 9/11 (I'm young enough to only have flown two or three times pre-9/11) but this is a practice in decline—I haven't seen them very much over the past few years.

The SFO arrivals area is completely closed to the public though. At SJC, the baggage claim is inside the terminal (you can see the street from the baggage claim). At BUR, the baggage claim is outside next to the drop-off/pick-up zone, which is probably the most outside-accessible baggage claim I have seen so far.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:27 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
^

If the baggage claim were accessible to PAX only it would eliminate the problem of random family members spreading out in front of the luggage conveyer to effectively block other people from easily retrieving their luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.