Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do Airlines Have Loaner Outerwear for Walking to Outdoor Planes in Cold Weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Airlines Have Loaner Outerwear for Walking to Outdoor Planes in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Personally, I like laughing at the silly passengers who come back from some warm tropical vacation and have to stand outside while it is snowing waiting for their ride.
You would laugh at me, then.

If I'm going on a 2-week tropical trip, usually with carry-on only, I'm heading to the airport in a long-sleeve t-shirt and linen pants, even if it's the middle of February.

People who would lug a jacket to, say, Thailand and back, just to avoid 15 minutes of cold on the return are the silly ones.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

I can hear the complaints now. "They discriminated against me - they didn't have my size.". Or the only one in my size was dirty, how much compensation am I due?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You should also consider the time of day of your connection.

Last year, I was on the first flight for a plane out of Nashville in January. I think the plane had sat on the tarmac overnight and was probably 30F inside for a very long time - they just couldn't get it warmed up.

In this case, it would have been more than just the "outside" time that was COLD!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

I remember reading a sad tale about a honeymoon, a tropical destination, the Chicago airport, winter storms, and a multiple-day unexpected layover at ORD. In short, the couple was unable to leave the airport due to the lack of winter gear.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:22 pm

Not quite on point, but a few years ago I was traveling from MAD to PIT via EWR (CO) in the winter. There was snow in EWR and the EWR-PIT leg ended up being delayed a few hours (which was actually a blessing in disguise as an on-time departure would have caused me to miss the connection). After boarding, we sat for another 45 minutes waiting for a mechanic as there was a plane in PIT that needed to be fixed. Once we got to PIT (about 130 AM), it turned out that CO had no gates available, as the broken plane was taking up one of them, so we had walk outside to get to the terminal. The only problem was that while it was 59 F and sunny when I left MAD, in PIT it was 3 F with a windchill of -17 F. I only had on a light sweatshirt. I don't think I've ever moved quite as quickly as I did getting after getting my gate checked bag.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by chessman
Not quite on point, but a few years ago I was traveling from MAD to PIT via EWR (CO) in the winter. There was snow in EWR and the EWR-PIT leg ended up being delayed a few hours (which was actually a blessing in disguise as an on-time departure would have caused me to miss the connection). After boarding, we sat for another 45 minutes waiting for a mechanic as there was a plane in PIT that needed to be fixed. Once we got to PIT (about 130 AM), it turned out that CO had no gates available, as the broken plane was taking up one of them, so we had walk outside to get to the terminal. The only problem was that while it was 59 F and sunny when I left MAD, in PIT it was 3 F with a windchill of -17 F. I only had on a light sweatshirt. I don't think I've ever moved quite as quickly as I did getting after getting my gate checked bag.
Oh I think that's right on point, and you even added a valuable tip -- if you are outside and cold, move quickly inside!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I remember reading a sad tale about a honeymoon, a tropical destination, the Chicago airport, winter storms, and a multiple-day unexpected layover at ORD. In short, the couple was unable to leave the airport due to the lack of winter gear.
At some point, you just gotta cowboy up and get on the train to the city. Buy a couple of those cheesy sweatshirts they sell in any airport shop. Then buy decent winter gear in the city and make the best of your couple days' layover.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Man up.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

I think part of the problem is people who are not from climates that get so cold really don't know that the limits are.

By way of example, I've lived in NYC. It rarely goes into the single digits (Fahrenheit), and only goes below zero Farenheit once every few years or so.

Other than my stint in NYC, I've lived in California.

When I posted the original post in this thread, I'm thinking yikes, 20 below in MSP, doesn't flesh freeze immediately or something like that? Apparently it doesn't. But, I have no idea how long I (or anyone else) could go with only a gift shop sweatshirt in that kind of weather.

(BTW, being from Northern California which is the home of the coldest indoor temperatures in the nation, I find the indoor temperatures on the East Coast in winter way too hot.)

Originally Posted by pinniped
At some point, you just gotta cowboy up and get on the train to the city. Buy a couple of those cheesy sweatshirts they sell in any airport shop. Then buy decent winter gear in the city and make the best of your couple days' layover.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is concerned about DL connections through MSP or DTW, I haven't seen DL planes not use jetways, at least since the new terminals were built. However, at MSP DL uses a little outdoor bridge for about three feet from the jetway onto RJs.

Using the shuttles from the airport to airport hotels similarly only requires walking outside about twenty feet at the airport and maybe five feet at the typical airport hotel, so even being standed overnight wouldn't be a huge problem unless you wanted to leave the hotel for dinner, explore downtown, or shop at the MOA.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Personally I don't understand how anyone can sit on a plane in:
-shorts
-a tank top
-a mini-skirt
-half-naked

Between cold planes, germs/dirty seats and less desirable seatmates (I once had my seatmate swap seats with someone else who wanted a "better look"), I think it's better to wear more rather than less clothes

And flip-flops on planes are nasty. Those are probably the people who walk into the bathroom with their *bare feet*!!!

I always bring a cardigan/pashmina, even in the winter, and wear long pants. Planes are freezing. So I would never have that problem.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I have NEVER in my life been cold on a plane.

On the other hand, I am frequently too hot on planes. But, I never wear shorts.

Originally Posted by Pinky
Personally I don't understand how anyone can sit on a plane in:
-shorts
-a tank top
-a mini-skirt
-half-naked

Between cold planes, germs/dirty seats and less desirable seatmates (I once had my seatmate swap seats with someone else who wanted a "better look"), I think it's better to wear more rather than less clothes

And flip-flops on planes are nasty. Those are probably the people who walk into the bathroom with their *bare feet*!!!

I always bring a cardigan/pashmina, even in the winter, and wear long pants. Planes are freezing. So I would never have that problem.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Dec 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
But, I have no idea how long I (or anyone else) could go with only a gift shop sweatshirt in that kind of weather.
Well, ideally you wouldn't do it for long.

I'm just thinking if my flight was canceled and the airline said "You're rebooked for 3 days from now", I'd find a way to make something happen. Start talking to airport people, figure out where the nearest mall is, get a cab there, etc. (As it turns out, one of the largest malls in the U.S. is right down the road from ORD in Schaumburg.) Then I'd go spend the time doing something interesting/fun.

Obviously there could be other circumstances. In my 1K years, I might've considered sticking around to play the standby game, especially if I had also nabbed a room at the Hilton...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Exit row window seats = cold
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Originally Posted by pinniped
...cowboy up...
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Man up.
Exactly. Even if it was -40 outside, being outside in shorts and a tshirt for the two mins it takes to walk from the plane to the terminal won't hurt anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.